Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-29-2011, 10:04 AM   #21
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: If it's not your first birth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Thinker View Post
One word about breaking the waters to induce... I am not going to say it never has a place, especially in a labor that is stalled out, but with my first I had it broken and after that is when labor really kicked in and HURT. With my second my water never broke, and when teh Dr. asked if I wanted it broke to 'speed things up" (remember I was only there for about 4-5 hours before she arrived) I declined. Labor was totally tollerable and I think having an intact bag of waters helped to cushion the cx. In the end I was ready to push without the water ever being broken! The Dr. tried to break it then, but her head was too far down, so she came out w/ a splash.

There are times when I do think breaking the water will speed things up or help get them started again if you are stalling out. I had mine broke w/ my twins as well and do not regret it, but I do think that any woman needs to know that breaking the water usually does make the cx. hurt a lot worse! If you don't want it broken, just tell them no. It might make labor a little big longer, but if it's easier it doesn't matter to me!
My water was broken to start my labor and I preferred that over using medication for induction (like pitocin or cytotec) but I have also heard that it makes a big difference having that "cushion" of the waters there during contractions. I am going to try and avoid it this time.

Advertisement

Old 03-29-2011, 10:08 AM   #22
armywife08
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i get scared sometimes...i have had really easy labors except for Charlie (19wks) but that was a different scenario, obviously. my longest labor not counting his was my first at 7hrs. by the time the REAL pain hit it was time to push and she was out. my only induction sucked but that was because it took 10 hours JUST to get me into labor. once i was in labor, it was 2 hours and she was out. it only sucked bc i was anxiously waiting for the contractions to actually start. so i was bored. i only get nervous now when i watch ones on tv where they are screamin' like banchees and pushing for hours. now, my concern is getting him out early. he needs to come about 38 wks in order for my hubby to be able to take leave and be home with us. we are moving a week after my due date to a new post so it would be great if he showed up in time for me to recover a little bit before we have to move. that's more my concern than actually the labor/delivery if that makes sense.

Our rainbow baby, James, was born 21April2011 Our survivor twin, Anya was born Dec 2012
armywife08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:22 AM   #23
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

while my first was a c-section, i still had ~28 hours of labor. the first 17 were pain-med free, and honestly it was after they broke my water (with an OP baby, so all back labor) and then left me alone for ~3 hours that I just couldn't take the pain anymore.

this time pain meds aren't an option since I'll be at home. I really do think the induction could have caused a lot of your pain - for me it was the feeling of helplessness and abandonment, combined with no more water sac to cushion things, that made it completely unbearable. I also didn't know what transition was, or really any great coping strategies. I just thought I'd be able to do it. Believing in yourself will go a long way. Having a doula who can help with pain management can take you the rest of the way. Fear is a normal part of childbirth, but it's also OK to let it go and try to just give yourself up to the experience! That's what I'll be trying to do. Good luck mama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxychic247 View Post
I'm in Alexandria (City). LMK if you want to get together for a play/coffee date sometime~we're always game for those kinds of things... or swapping horror stories!
I'm in Old Town!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justineybean View Post
My water was broken to start my labor and I preferred that over using medication for induction (like pitocin or cytotec) but I have also heard that it makes a big difference having that "cushion" of the waters there during contractions. I am going to try and avoid it this time.
YES! no breaking of the waters for me - either it's breaking on its own or that baby is coming out in the caul.
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:30 AM   #24
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was never induced, but my first and third labor were augmented w/ Pitocin. With all three I had AROM, and b/c of that the nurses each time were really good about asking early on if I would want an epidural. They also said b/c I had AROM that I could get it anytime, but I was there to stay, iykwim. So, if you know you are going to want an epidural let them know right away. The nurse I had w/ DD#3 asked me at one point b/c she knew the anesthesiologist was going to the OR soon, so she wanted to call her before the anesthesiologist was tied up else where. If she hadn't of checked w/ me, I might have been waiting another couple of hours, and I know I would have been miserable. I was almost to that point when the anesthesiologist did come, b/c thing just progressed pretty quickly for me, IMO.

ETA-- All three of my experiences were similar and all pretty good. I would say the third one was probably the best.

Last edited by staceyroo77; 03-29-2011 at 11:32 AM.
staceyroo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:04 PM   #25
suxitup07
Registered Users

My first labor was WORSE!! I just think we just didnt know what to expect with first labor when it comes to pain. With second and more we are more prepared what to do with the pain because with my first it was horrible experience with epidural and pitocin I was pretty much stuck on bed. I vowed myself never again! So with my 2nd I was only in labor for 8 hrs drug free!! I didnt get to the hospital around 1 30? gave birth at 5 08am on my knees and hands on bed. With my 3rd I didnt get to the hospital til 3 30am and gave birth at 5 09am standing over the toilet having no time to get in the tub. Im expecting my 4th and ofc Im nervous about the birth what will happen but I think this pregnancy will go much quicker because with first 11 hrs, 2nd 8 hrs 3rd 4.5 hrs so who knows 4th maybe not even one hr. I do hope you will have a easier labor with your next kid.
suxitup07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:31 PM   #26
Julesboch
Registered Users

My Mood:

With my first I was so naive and was induced a week early. I had 9 hours of back labor that was horrible and when I finally asked for the epidural I got an hour of relief and then she came. I bled out afterwords so I was in a sorry state after that. My second I had to be induced since my water broke at 33 weeks and nothing happened. I knew with her that I would want an epidural due to the induction to everything went much smoother. I am praying to natural this time since when I was in preterm labor it felt like menstrual cramps and was very bearable with breathing.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:16 PM   #27
mama2cntrykids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am NOT looking forward to this L&D. It's my 4th and they were all really hard. I remember the pain being bad, but I *know* that memories fade and the pain was way worse than I remember.

With my 1st, he came on his own, two days past his due date. I was in labor for a total of about 27 hours. I had an interthecal (sp?) b/c that hossy didn't have epi's. I tore and had to be sown up and couldn't pee afterwards, so they gave me a cath. NOT a good thing after just giving birth a few hours before.

With my 2nd, he was 13 days past and they tried numerous times to strip my membranes and they put some kind of med in my vagina to help labor along (I think...it's foggy b/c it was 8 yrs ago). I finally went into labor with him and I was determined to stay at home for as long as possible. My water had broke and I was sitting in bed with lots of towels, in immense pain, begging to go to the hossy. My ex-h kept saying, "But, I thought you wanted to wait until you were further along...?" DON'T ARGUE WITH A WOMAN IN ACTIVE LABOR LOLOL. By the time we got to the hossy, I was begging for pain meds. BEGGING! He came out and I tore like crazy. Yet again, I couldn't go pee, so another cath. My ex-h could hear me screaming from where he was out in the hall way.

Now, number 3. She was induced at 2 days over due b/c I was miserable. Selfish, yes. Would I do it again just b/c I'm uncomfortable? No. This time a different hossy. They DID have epi's. The anast. tried and tried to get it to work and it wouldn't, so I felt the whole thing. It was a nightmare. I was SO RELIEVED when I got to the pushing stage. The pain was that unbearable. It felt like the contractions kept coming one on top of the other. The pit drip wasn't helping things though.

I will NOT be getting induced again unless absolutely nessicary (sp???). It was a big mistake.
Wife to an adoring man. Homeschooling mama to: A sweet girly newbie (6/2011). We co-sleep, bf and babywear~Mama to 2 boys (12/00 & 2/03) & one pretty girl (5/06). Step mom to a new Army recruit. Leaving for training summer 2013.
mama2cntrykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:41 PM   #28
katieupnorth
Registered Users
seller

Location: near the Starbucks, and the Starbucks, and the Starbucks...
My Mood:

Thanks for all the words of encouragement and for sharing your own stories! I will try everything to avoid an induction this time around--for DD the induction was medically necessary because the Dr thought she had intrauterine growth restriction.

Saxychic, I'm still working full-time right now, but maybe we can have a new baby meet-up and playgroup later on.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:13 AM   #29
jenndoxx
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My OB cut me off at 41 weeks. I hadn't dilated or thinned at all, so he gave me the option to try cytotec or have an elective c-section, saying my odds of c-section were high because of my "uncooperative" cervix. I chose the cytotec and they had to do 2 rounds, which wasn't bad, but I was offered some meds "to help me sleep" while the cytotec was doing its job and that was the mistake I made. They gave me Stadol and it just made me DRUNK, the room was spinning, it felt like I was in a time warp and I was even hallucinating. When the Stadol was wearing off, I remained in a foggy haze and it was like I couldn't really communicate that I was ready for my epidural, all I could do was cry. They put the epidural catheter in at 7 cm, but they didn't give me a dose of medicine in it until I was almost complete. They gave me the cytotec at 5:15 p.m. and 3 a.m., my water broke on its own at 5:45 a.m. and I delivered DS at 11:38 a.m.

I hope I don't have to have the cytotec this time, I'd really like for everything to happen on its own. I'm not really feeling apprehensive about anything because the only thing that I had a problem with last time was the Stadol, so I'm just not going to have any Stadol this time. Well, ok, it would be nice to not tear or have an episiotomy, too, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Jenn
Mom to two little boys
jenndoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:36 AM   #30
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katieupnorth View Post
Thanks for all the words of encouragement and for sharing your own stories! I will try everything to avoid an induction this time around--for DD the induction was medically necessary because the Dr thought she had intrauterine growth restriction.

Saxychic, I'm still working full-time right now, but maybe we can have a new baby meet-up and playgroup later on.
I was almost induced w/ DD#3 for the same reason. It seemed she hadn't gained any weight in about three weeks. I know that u/s can be off, but I'd rather not chance her not growing. So, It was scheduled for Feb 5th, but she decided to come on Feb 3rd. I wasn't to worried about the risk of c-section b/c of the induction, I had already been having lots of contractions, and I felt my body was just about ready. I had also had pitocin w/ a previous pregnancy and new my body responded to it well. I do believe that she might not have been growing b/c she didn't gain but 1-3oz from her birth weight in her first month. I'm not sure why, but she eventually started gaining.