Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-16-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
AwayWeGo
Registered Users

Mom of multiples questions

I have a close friend who just had twins a month ago and doesn't seem to be getting the support she needs for breastfeeding her twins. One is still in the hospital, and will be for a while, but the other has been with her since one week old.
Does anyone have firsthand suggestions or feedback for how to help her? She is still pumping every three hours, but is not feeding from the breast. She seems to be scared to lose her supply, but doesn't think it's possible to actually breastfeed her baby(ies).
Thanks!

Advertisement

AwayWeGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
clothforyourangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mom of multiples questions

Nurse, nurse, nurse, pump, pump, pump! The more often she does, the more milk she'll make. Even breastmilk in a bottle is better than no breastmilk at all. It would also be a good idea for her to meet with a lactation consultant about how best to get her babies on the breast. They are such great help! Most hospitals have a few on staff, so that's a good place for her to ask first.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:54 PM   #3
AwayWeGo
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by clothforyourangel View Post
Nurse, nurse, nurse, pump, pump, pump! The more often she does, the more milk she'll make. Even breastmilk in a bottle is better than no breastmilk at all. It would also be a good idea for her to meet with a lactation consultant about how best to get her babies on the breast. They are such great help! Most hospitals have a few on staff, so that's a good place for her to ask first.
Thank you! I've been trying to encourage her to nurse and pump (not just pump), but so far it hasn't caught on. I sent her links to LLL meetings and other support groups in her area before the babies were born, but I think I'll give her your suggestion for a lactation consultant
Old 08-18-2010, 01:40 PM   #4
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am nursing my second set of twins. My first set was nursed till 16 months with almost no formula given (Less than half a can total over the first year, mostly in the first 6wks.) This second set is 4 months and they have had even less formula, a few bottles each. It's totally doable. Both of my sets did/do take bottles of EBM. This second set doesn't get them very often though and they don't like to take it in a bottle, even though one was in the NICU and couldn't nurse at all for a while. My first set started out with mostly bottles because they just couldn't latch. They got more bottles than these 2, but still only a couple a week. You just have to do it. Just go for it. Put the babies to breast as often as possible and pump as often as possible. At first, she is probably going to have to nurse and then offer a bottle because it will take time for the babies to get it. She will need to then pump because the babies won't empty her. Before long, they will do it. However, having one baby in the NICU and one at home is horribly hard. I've done it. She should do her best to get the baby that is home on the breast, but right now, the main thing is pump, pump, pump to keep up her supply. If she can try with the baby in the NICU that's wonderful too. Usually they will let you. I wasn't able to work with mine in the NICU as often as I would have liked because I just couldn't be there very long or at meal times because of having another baby to take care of (who wasn't allowed in the NICU with me). But, when he got home, I was still able to get him on the breast. Right now, she just has to power through until she gets both babies home. Oh man...pp hormones still getting to me! I'm starting to tear up remember how difficult it was. I hope she is reunited with her baby soon!! She is doing great!!! I can't tell you how many moms of multiples don't even try. Encourage her about how wonderful it is that she is even able to pump through this time. Good for her! And, lucky for her to have a great friend like you.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:03 PM   #5
Wanderlust
Registered Users
Formerly: jen**eth
seller

ITA with the other ppl- just put them to breast as often as possible. Have her pump as often as possible. It may be frustrating at first. When I first started, I still had to give my twins more formula than milk. But I kept pumping and now I only have to supplement with 1 or 2 bottles of formula a day if my supply is low.

Have her check out Youtube. There are some excellent videos on different ways mamas have nursed twins and little tricks that have helped them.

Last edited by Wanderlust; 08-18-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
kristinc
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i would have her get some help from the LC in the NICU. they are very experienced at dealing with breastfeeding and preemies.
kristinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:52 PM   #7
mycupcakes
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clothforyourangel View Post
I knew exactly what I wanted to say...but you beat me to it!!! I 100% 2nd this! GREAT advice!

Britni wife to Abe (12/01) SAHM, CDing, BWing, co sleeping, BFing Mama to Elias (1/05) & Twins- Simon & Gabriella (9/09)
mycupcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:53 PM   #8
AwayWeGo
Registered Users

I'm a bit late replying but I wanted to thank everyone for the great advice. Due to the stress of having a baby in the NICU for so long her milk supply just didn't last. She did a really great job pumping for as long as possible to help out her babies. I was very proud of her!