Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-28-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Anybody else have PPD issues with previous births?

Just wondering what your experience was and what your plans are for support this time around? I have to jump off DS right now but I will edit to add my own experience tomorrow!

Advertisement

doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anybody else have PPD issues with previous births?

I did not have PPD after my first birth but I am considering getting my placenta encapsulated and I have heard that can be helpful to ward off PPD, among other benefits.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
meganne79
Registered Users
seller

I did with both previous births. With ODD I had an extremely traumatic delivery with an enormous blood loss which can apparently really exacerbate PPD. My PPD was awful. I lost about 25lbs (below prepregnancy weight) and could barely function, even on meds. After about 6 months I was better. With YDD it wasn't as bad but I still had a really rough approx. 3 months. I am anticipating this one being bad. It is probably our last baby and I'm not really ok with that plus I've been dealing with depression during my pregnancy this time too. My midwife knows about it and will be keeping a close eye on me. Likely I'll be on meds pretty quick after delivery. I wish I didn't need them but have a feeling I will.

ETA: I did try to see a counselor for my severe PTSD after my first birth. I had some success but time was really the only thing that helped. It did return a touch around YDD's birth and has off and on this pregnancy. I imagine that will be an issue for a long time.

RN/CNM Student/SAHM to Maggie 03-23-06,
Nora 04-06-09, and Ben 05-03-11

Last edited by meganne79; 03-28-2011 at 08:22 PM.
meganne79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:12 PM   #4
HillbillyMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had terrible PPD, and I truly believe I had PTSD, too...I had a very complicated/traumatic c/s, and no support at all after delivery...I had no supply to nurse, and almost drove myself INSANE trying to make it work.
Looking back through wiser eyes, I see things I can do now to be proactive to ward off a lot of the same old issues. Also, I have started educating myself about things, so I hope that helps some, too...I truly believe that having a tight knit support system is the biggest key to dealing with PPD. I really believe if I had had someone to share my feelings with and to help me deal with things that I would not have had half the issues I did with my first birth.

Join me at Viewpoint, to make $$$ taking simple surveys!!!
HillbillyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:28 AM   #5
doodah
Registered Users
seller

I'm with you Amy. I had a tough time after both births. The majority of it seems magnified by the fact that there was a lot of drama in my life at both points and people that were supposed to be helping, weren't or worse, were making things a lot worse. This time around I feel that I have matured a lot in preparing for how I want things, saying no to some things (and people) and saying yes to others. I seemed to be surrounded by people but didn't feel that anyone was really taking care of me or truly being much of a help. There was some family drama, job issues, hubby issues and the second time around, baby was super super demanding and sickly. Anyway, I do feel that my preparations are going to help. I am trying really hard to discuss with my DH exactly what I want and need, keeping almost everyone away during the labor and post partum and getting plenty of help with my job (in home daycare). I also saw a counselor for awhile after baby 2 that really helped long term so I feel positive that these changes will make a difference. This is most likely our last baby too so I really want to have a different experience this time around!
Old 03-29-2011, 09:15 AM   #6
HillbillyMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Man, Mama, that's my exact story in a nutshell!! (I do in home daycare, also!) When I had my first baby, I had a horrible experience with a family member who, at the time, I thought was my closest, dearest friend...Who, after I had the c/s and couldn't nurse, pretty much dropped me and even made the comment on a board that I didn't try hard enough :/ It broke my heart!
I had honestly thought I had gotten past it, until I got pregnant again...and all the old hurts came back, even worse! I am getting active in a local ICAN group, and I can't tell you how much it just means to have my feelings validated and to have someone care, KWIM? I have also made an extensive "plan" this time, for the birth and the PP time afterwards....I am only having specific visitors while in the hospital, and only for certain times a day...and the same at home. This is also our last child, and I will NOT repeat my last birth this time! I want to have good memories of these fleeting first weeks, not nightmares like I had last time. i just hate that I dread it, because of the last time....I hate that I also let people/situations ruin my attitude towards birth in general, too :/ It's a lot to work through, but hopefully we will all come out on the better end of the deal!
Good luck to you, mama....At least we have this board to come and spill our guts to, even if we have no one else!!!

Join me at Viewpoint, to make $$$ taking simple surveys!!!

Last edited by HillbillyMama; 04-12-2011 at 01:01 PM. Reason: ETA -mispelling
HillbillyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:56 AM   #7
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Good luck to you! I think I just made the mistake of thinking that everyone around me from family to my daycare families would be considerate of my needs or magically mature and be what I needed them to be and of course, that didn't happen. Now I realize that it is up to me to set those boundaries and be really straight forward with what is acceptable and what is not. I even told my mom not to come until the baby was a month old. She is a great person in many ways but not a healthy addition to a post partum mommy's life. Hoping all these hard choices really make the difference!
Old 03-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #8
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I didn't have PPD, but I did have PTSD. I'm thinking about encapsulating my placenta anyway, just in case. One more thing to add to the to-do list! sigh.

The reason I'm HBACing is to combat the PTSD, though of course there's really no way to know in advance what will trigger it. I'm feeling good about everything still, though, so I'm just trying to stay in a positive space for the here and now. Good luck to all the mamas who've had past postpartum issues!
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:16 AM   #9
MamandÉlise&Muriel
Registered Users
Formerly: Mamandelise
seller

I've never heard of encapsulating the placenta. What does it involve?

I was never formally diagnosed with PPD, but about 9 months in, I felt like I was loosing my mind and really, really struggled. I gained a whole bunch of weight after having the baby, which didn't help. I'm hoping that I have a better idea what to expect this time, but I'm not sure how well things will go. I'm a bit nervous, especially having a toddler this time, but I'm reassured by the fact that she'll be in school in the fall, which will give me some decent time alone with the new babe.

Thanks for sharing your stories - I find so few women do, which makes coping really hard when everyone is living a 'perfect' situation.
MamandÉlise&Muriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:49 AM   #10
Mama4Ways
Registered Users

Oh, do tell. Encapsulating the placenta? My first reaction is "uhm. Ewwwwww...." but do tell!!!

I have severe PDD. Always. I have severe chronic biochemical depression anyway, it always gets worse during the pregnancies, and it hits me HARD afterwards. My best and most successful coping is to accept that it happens, and to be totally honest and open with everyone about it--especially dh and my adult children.

Accepting that it happens and it's biochemical eases my guilt and shame, although it is always still there and getting others on board with whats happening allows THEM to be my barometer and to be able to step in to help as needed when its needed.

And it sucks rotten raw eggs. But you can get through it.