Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-08-2011, 01:12 AM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Anybody else have PPD issues with previous births?

With my son I had severe ppd. I literally wanted to die every day for 3 years. After being on every med possible, at times 5 different ones at once, when my son was 2.5 years old the pysch told us our only option left was electric shock treatment. Before committing to this I decided to seek the opinion of a psych who specialized in ppd. (i'd already been to 4 different drs!) She was in a city almost 2 hours away. The first thing she did was test my thyroid and THAT was the problem. It took about 5 months for the thyroid meds to start working because my thyroid had been suffering for so long.

It was an absolutely miserable, awful experience. My family sucks so they offered no help. My husband did the best he could, but it was very very difficult on all of us. It seriously almost ruined our marraige. A lot of therapy has repaired to a place better than it was. Friends were useless. They would always say things like "well you don't seem upset". or "you should just decide to be happy, you have a great life". Totally invalidating what I was feeling.

The whole experience left me with PTSD and eventually I did EMDR and it helped A TON. (totally reccomend it!)

With my 2nd daughter - born 5 1/2 years after my son, I decided to have a completly unmedicated birth and was watched very very closely by all my health care professionals. They completely missed a huge diagnosis and were ready to shock my brain for what was a thyroid imbalance! So, they seem to always err on the side of caution with me!!!

I have to say that I totally felt the difference in the medicated and non medicated birth in terms of recovery. I felt like my body didn't have to work as hard to process unnatural things out of it. I had a great support system in place the 2nd time around and went to my therapist twice a week until I knew for sure that I was doing ok.

I did fine! I didn't even have to increase my anti depressant.

My friend just did placenta encapsulation. She said she really couldn't be sure if she noticed a difference or not. She felt like she didn't know either way. She's the only one I know who's done it thought.

treetree1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Anybody else have PPD issues with previous births?

I had it after both of my boys, and never after any of my 6 girls. I don't know if it's coincidence or not, but it does make me a little nervous as I'm expecting another boy this time. Last time, I took fish oil and that seemed to help quite a bit as did exercise. I ended up getting into running eventually, and that did a lot for my mental state. It was a huge release for me. I continued through most of this pregnancy and can't wait to get back into it full speed again. I'm hoping with it being a nice time of year to be outdoors that it will help me avoid getting so in the dumps. I don't think I could eat the placenta or do the encapsulation, as that totally grosses me out.
Happily married 25yrs Mama to 10, Nana to 1
dd24 married & mama to 1, dd22, dd17, ds15, dd13, dd10, dd8, ds7, ds4 & ds1
And 3 Angel Babies(1-2010)(9-2010)(9-2013)
shreck is offline   Reply With Quote