Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-01-2011, 05:28 AM   #31
Ola_
Registered Users

Re: Birth weight vs coming home weight?

Elizabeth was born at home @ 37wks+2days and weighed 7 lbs 12 oz. 4 days after birth she dropped to 6 lbs 14 oz.

Advertisement

Ola_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:36 AM   #32
katedanzer
Good things come in small packages
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savanna+6 View Post
Our NICU said there is no weight requirement on which he will have to meet to come home. As long as he is doing all the other things he needs to be doing, he can come home.
Yep, the 3 NICU's my children have been in had the same policy. I love to have numbers, which I why I said "most" babies accomplish these things in the 4-6 lb range. They don't have to be 4-lbs, but at least all of my kids have had issues keeping their body temp up without working too hard (laboring in breathing and loosing weight) when they were under 1600 grams (3.5 lbs).

Babies have to be keeping their temp up outside an isolette, breathing w/ no o2 support (babies w/ severe RDS that were already taking all feeds by mouth could go home w/ O2), not having A&B spells (this was debatable, I got 1 child to come home with an apnea monitor & caffeine), pass carseat eval (again, debatable as 2 of my kids failed so we just went home w/ a car-bed), taking all feeds by mouth & consistently gaining weight. The weight gain was only an issue for my 2 micropreemies, the later term preemies the NICU didn't say they had to be gaining.

I just read your facebook page last night, sending ppt your NICU journey is short

Last edited by katedanzer; 04-01-2011 at 09:00 AM.
katedanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:12 AM   #33
kadiera
Registered Users

My Mood:

DS was 27 weeks 1 day (and that 1 day, just barely, since he was born by emergency c-section at ~6am). He was 1 lb 7 oz - off the charts small, below 3rd percentile.

He spent 291 days in the NICU, and came home at about 17 lbs.

He's now 33.5 months actual, 36" tall, and about 30-31 pounds....40th percentile for weight for his ACTUAL age.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:25 AM   #34
OrangeBananas
Registered Users
Formerly: Savannah+6
seller
seller

Thanks Sarah

What is considered a micro preemie? Someone asked, and I have no idea!

OrangeBananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #35
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

#1 term baby
#2 34 weeks 5lbs 3oz - 11 days in nicu, came home at 4lbs 12oz.
#3 33weeks 4 lbs 12oz- 11days in nicu, came home at 4lbs 6oz.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #36
katedanzer
Good things come in small packages
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savanna+6 View Post
Thanks Sarah

What is considered a micro preemie? Someone asked, and I have no idea!
A micro preemie is a baby born under 1.75 lbs. You should look into applying for SSI disability based on low birth weight. Babies born under 1200 grams qualify automatically and there are no income limits while babies are in the hospital. The benefit amount is small while he's in the hospital (it was $30 a month for Gen & Eli) but we just put it into a savings account for them.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #37
OrangeBananas
Registered Users
Formerly: Savannah+6
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by katedanzer View Post
A micro preemie is a baby born under 1.75 lbs. You should look into applying for SSI disability based on low birth weight. Babies born under 1200 grams qualify automatically and there are no income limits while babies are in the hospital. The benefit amount is small while he's in the hospital (it was $30 a month for Gen & Eli) but we just put it into a savings account for them.
I actually did apply for it, they said it will take about a month to start up though, I believe they said it was 30/month, too. Thanks for the advice, this whole thing is still so fresh..I am learning as I go.

OrangeBananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:38 PM   #38
DocsNemesis
Registered Users
seller
seller

32 weeks 6 days-born at 4lbs 13oz, came home at just about 5.5 pounds, a little under. He didn't gain weight very well in the hospital-I think he needed a different feeding schedule than what they did. When he got home I started feeding on demand (still with a bottle, but expressed bm) and he'd eat every hour or so, but only take about half of what they gave. At the hospital they were feeding every 3 hours. So, he ended up getting a lot more food that way and gained weight like CRAZY that first month home (like, he weighed around 9.5 pounds the next month, lol)

My dd wasn't technically early, but was a 37 weeker by 2 hours. She weighed 6lbs 7oz and came home at 6lbs and refused to gain weight for almost a month >.<

www.Hyenacart.com/Naked for dyed tee's, flats, yarn, and soon, bamboo prefolds! Stocking 7/20!
DocsNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:03 AM   #39
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS - born at 36 weeks, 1 day gestation, weighed 7lbs, 12 oz at birth and came home at 7lbs, 8 oz. Dropped down to 7lbs even until his sucking instinct kicked in a week and a half after birth and he finally began nursing well (had to feed him with a dropper and a fast-flow bottle that kind of dripped into his mouth until he began to suckle... we stopped all bottles within a couple weeks and he was up to 12 and a half pounds by 6 weeks old).

DD1 - considered full term by my doctors, born at 37 weeks, 1 day. She was 8lbs, 12 oz and came home at 8lbs, 9 oz. Never had any nursing trouble.

DD2 - born at 33 weeks, 1 day, weighed 6lbs, 6 oz and came home at 5lbs, 13 oz. Quickly began gaining at home - she's now almost 15 months old and weighs 26 pounds.

DD3 - born at 33 weeks, 5 days, weighed 4lbs, 9 oz at birth and came home weighing close to the same. She had lost quite a bit of weight and was not latching well. Finally began nursing in these past two weeks and have stopped bottles completely. She's now up to just shy of 8 pounds.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:06 PM   #40
the8dunlaps
Registered Users
seller
seller

Talking just about my preemie boy (now 11)...
He was born at 33 weeks even, weighed 3lb 12oz, he went down to 3lb 7oz, he came home 3 weeks later exactly and he weighed 4lbs 8oz (they had to weigh that to get to come home).
I hope your lo does so well, many many hugs.

http://https://www.facebook.com/TheHappyHippos
Cloth diapers, accessories, baby gowns, nursing cover ups, towels, blankets, capes and more!!!
the8dunlaps is offline   Reply With Quote