Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-30-2011, 03:15 PM   #21
ashmomof4
Registered Users
seller

Re: Does anyone not enjoy BF?

It doesn't bother me 98% of the time, but the other 2% it feels like the touch equivalent of nails on a chalkboard, sometimes the sensation drives me nuts. I have noticed when my LO are latched and nursing upon letdown it doesn't bother me, it is more when they are starting to latch (or fussy/colicky and pacifying themselves) that it is irksome. If it felt like that 2% all the time I would be going crazy, so I can totally ympathize.

Advertisement

ashmomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:30 PM   #22
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Glad to see this thread.

DD is hitting 8 months and I feel like I'm trying to nurse a wild monkey. On crack. It's just not pleasant anymore. I will probably hit 12 months and be done, unless we can continue at night or something. Night and early mornings are the only pleasant feedings.

I also had oversupply in the beginning, and now I think it's dropping b/c she enjoys solids so much. One more thing to worry about!
and M
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:39 PM   #23
*~*FluffyBuns*~*
waiting on response to trade issue. Do not B/T with
seller

My Mood:

im sorry your not throughly enjoying it. i have had days where im annoyed but mostly in our 19m i have loved nursing.
*~*FluffyBuns*~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:16 PM   #24
MissyMia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I felt that way with my first one, but I thought it was because I pumped at work for 9 months. We stopped a few days after her first birthday by my choice, but she was all for that.

I really hoped to feel differently the second time around, but this baby is so fussy all the time even while nursing. I fight her to stay latched for 4 minutes and there is no comfort sucking at all. So not only do I not enjoy breastfeeding, I sometimes wonder if she doesn't either. Until I try to give her a bottle and she screams at me. I am soooooo counting down to her first birthday when we will 100% wean. I don't feel guilty either since I am giving her a year of breastmilk.

I am stubborn and dh encourages me all the time to keep with it. That is the only reason we stick with the breastfeeding. I beg to do formula and on those occasions dh lists all the reasons I can't give up.

On the otherhand, not making bottles in the middle of the night or right after napping together mid-day, is really nice. Not having that nasty formula smell all over her face and neck, even better (nothing against formula, my two neices got it, but I hated the smell to the point I couldn't feed them).
Old 03-30-2011, 08:13 PM   #25
Trixie
Registered Users
seller

I loved breastfeeding. I loved everything about it, from the raw nipples to the cramps it caused in the beginning. I breasted all four of my kids past one and I think it was a neat experience. But I like camping in 40 degree rain too. What's fun for one person can easily be an icky situation for another.

I have a question to the ladies who possibly feel guilty about disliking breastfeeding- why do it? There are added benefits, but if the consequence of those benefits are a frustrated and unhappy mother, is it really worth it? Formula is not poison. It's a viable and perfectly acceptable alternative to breast milk and it was created for a reason. Many of those reasons are in this thread.

I think activism about the (real and valid) benefits of breastfeeding has gone too far. The whole point of organizations like LLL was to support and validate women who CHOOSE to breastfeed, not demonize women who don't. You're not uneducated about it. You have the facts, you have the experience, and you (I'm assuming) have the support. Some things don't work out, even when we give it our best shot.

If any of you moms decide to ween before you planned, please don't feel guilty about it. It's your baby, your family and your body and be confident that you know what's best for all of you.
Trixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:18 PM   #26
cereal527
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
I loved breastfeeding. I loved everything about it, from the raw nipples to the cramps it caused in the beginning. I breasted all four of my kids past one and I think it was a neat experience. But I like camping in 40 degree rain too. What's fun for one person can easily be an icky situation for another.

I have a question to the ladies who possibly feel guilty about disliking breastfeeding- why do it? There are added benefits, but if the consequence of those benefits are a frustrated and unhappy mother, is it really worth it? Formula is not poison. It's a viable and perfectly acceptable alternative to breast milk and it was created for a reason. Many of those reasons are in this thread.

I think activism about the (real and valid) benefits of breastfeeding has gone too far. The whole point of organizations like LLL was to support and validate women who CHOOSE to breastfeed, not demonize women who don't. You're not uneducated about it. You have the facts, you have the experience, and you (I'm assuming) have the support. Some things don't work out, even when we give it our best shot.

If any of you moms decide to ween before you planned, please don't feel guilty about it. It's your baby, your family and your body and be confident that you know what's best for all of you.
well said mama! I don't dislike breastfeeding enough that it's making me miserable all the time. Though, there are times when I feel like I'm wrestling dd more than comforting her while she's nursing, that I get pretty annoyed. Anyway, I had to wean my fourth at around 10 months because he was losing weight and I just couldn't get him to gain with nursing. He switched to formula, and though I was so upset with myself that I didn't make it to a year. However, once I got over my initial disappointment, it was actually kind of nice to pass off the feeding duties to someone else on occasion. My dh and oldest dd loved giving ds his bottles, and I liked that I got a little bit of a break from constantly being needed.
cereal527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:19 PM   #27
Lu&Ce'sMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2Lucas
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie View Post

1.I wasn't able to with DS so it was really upsetting to me not to be able to, I felt like I failed with that part of being a mom. DD was ready to go with BFing right out of the gate I would hate to deny her because she was so eager.

2. Formula is expensive and I don't qualify for WIC.

3. I have no set date in which to wean, I am off of work for 12 weeks and once I go back to work I doubt I'll be able to go much longer. I am a nurse in a fast paced hospital and I work 2-12 hour shifts that's a lot of pumping needed and there's days were I hardly can go to the bathroom! I'm hoping to go longer but I don't forsee that happening. I hope I can get a good stash before I go back.

4.I'm sure it will get better than this. DD is a month old so there's lots of feedings right now.

DS wasn't breastfed he got a little BM but not much the first month and he's smart and healthy so I know she would be OK but for now at least I can say I was able to for however long I do BF.

Thank you for asking and being accepting towards use Mamas who find it difficult!
Old 03-30-2011, 10:00 PM   #28
MrsAsh
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've not had the mastitis or plugged ducts, but other then that we pretty much have the same story. During AF I seem to have a drop in supply, but mine increases fine as soon as AF stops. Those few days are AWFUL! And I'm awful. I know I'm a bear, but it's so painful and he nurses more at that time. I don't really have an advice other then to offer a understanding ear. Maybe we should go start up a red headed mama gruop. I'm planning to wean at 1, so 7 more months for me... I just try not to think about it! Just take one feeding at a time!
Old 03-30-2011, 11:27 PM   #29
2beauties
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAsh View Post
I've not had the mastitis or plugged ducts, but other then that we pretty much have the same story. During AF I seem to have a drop in supply, but mine increases fine as soon as AF stops. Those few days are AWFUL! And I'm awful. I know I'm a bear, but it's so painful and he nurses more at that time. I don't really have an advice other then to offer a understanding ear. Maybe we should go start up a red headed mama gruop. I'm planning to wean at 1, so 7 more months for me... I just try not to think about it! Just take one feeding at a time!
Thanks so much for this! I thought it was just me. I do notice that if I take Ibprofen during my period that the soreness is better. I always tend to get plugged ducts after my period when my milk is picking back up. He is teething now, and it seems like he is just nursing weird which makes it frustrating too. Anyway, I don't condemn anyone for their decision to BF or not. I think its great that I have been able too, but it is very stressful for me and hopefully I can make it to a year...if not I won't beat myself up about it.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:51 AM   #30
welovetherain
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm happy to see support and mamas who can relate I, too, had difficulty with yeast x 4 for both of us and mastitis x 3 and the anxiety that came with the pain and feeling latched on to foreverrrr at times haha so as much as I love and miss it, weaning did hold a couple perks. But! We made it to 18 mos and that makes me happy. Not everything is perfect but lifes perfection is about its imperfections and the fun we have along the way.
welovetherain is offline   Reply With Quote