Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-31-2011, 09:17 AM   #21
galesville1980
Registered Users
seller

Re: How did you deal with colic & when did it go away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG's baby mama View Post
Generally, I think there is no such thing as colic.

Either a child has reflux issues or is allergic to something that he/she is eating.

I am being somewhat facetious, but I think it is way too common to brush off real problems to colic just because your child is too young to challenge that diagnosis.

I had "colic" problems with both of my children and it turned out that they both inherited my milk protein allergy (and yes they have been fully diagnosed by GI docs).

If I had stopped at the point when my doc said colic we'd have had battle royale for months with our screaming children.

It is NOT natural for your child to cry endlessly or constantly throw up his/her food.

HTH...
I agree with this post 100%! We were told my DD had "colic" ...I kept saying something is not right...found out she had acid reflux.

Advertisement

We thank god for our infertility everyday!!
galesville1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:18 AM   #22
lauren420
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinne View Post
My dd gradually got better starting at like 6-8 months, and by about a year she was more or less "normal." She doesn't have any allergies or anything, it was just her temperament. Now, as a toddler, she's a very hot or cold type person. She's never really just chill, she's always either really happy or really sad, but she does have a lot of really "up" time. We also tried everything diet and environment-wise to try to help her, but I really think with some kids, it's just who they are. It's HARD though! The best thing that kinda worked for my dd was going for a walk in the Moby or bouncing on an exercise ball, but even that was hit-or-miss. Really, hitting developmental milestones and becoming more independent (learning to crawl and walk, baby signing) was the only thing that really made her any happier. Hang in there, mama! I'm sure your little boy will be an awesome little person when he grows into those big emotions!
This is my DS too, some kids are just grumpy, its really hard to deal with, I cried many days along with him I really had a hard tome bonding with him too, I dodn't enjoy my days with him and it sucked. I just delt with it as best I could and took it one day at a time. he us 2 and a half now and still a pretty grumpy kid lol, but he is easier to deal with.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:37 AM   #23
keelykellen&kiera
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS was a crying baby. No, he was a screaming baby. We tried EVERYTHING. Months of elimination dieting, gripe water, antacid meds, mylicon, hyland's, swaddling, you name it we tried it. many times. Switched Peds because I was sure she was missing something. He screamed for at least half the day until just about his first birthday. Then it was like he just woke up one day and decided to be happy. No kidding. He went on to be the sweetest, mellowest most loving little guy you can imagine. When we tell people about his first year no one believes. DH still says if Kellen had been our first, he would be an only. I stayed home and thought I would lose my mind. hang in there mama, it will not go on forever.
keelykellen&kiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:38 AM   #24
anne_josh
Registered Users
seller

DS1 was a crabby baby. He was never really content unless he was nursing or being held with his pacifier in. It sucked, frankly. If it seems to relate to an upset stomach or something, I'd see a pediatric gastroenterologist. I wish I had done that with DS1, as it did seem to be caused by gassiness. I did read a book that helped.. two actually. HBOTB and "the 7 minute colic solution," ..we didn't end up using the program in that book, but it did have a good explanation of colicky temperaments and why some babies are that way. HTH.. I know how hard it is!

Last edited by anne_josh; 04-01-2011 at 02:39 AM.
anne_josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:42 AM   #25
kameroosky
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS didnt stop screaming and crying until he was about 4 months and I cut out dairy AND soy in my diet. We also supplemented him with nutrimagen. After trying and trying to breastfeed it didnt work out and now he is only on nutrimagen. It wasnt until I started that did he stop crying. He would stiffen up and become so riggid in the middle of his fits. He would cry 95% of the time he was awake. It was really tough...
Old 04-01-2011, 02:51 AM   #26
jenbabekitty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My boy was a screamer! He had to sleep in his bouncy seat or swing. He had bad bad reflux. We done Zantac twice a day and prevacid at night. Also rice cereal in his bottle at 2 weeks plus a r lipil. It will get better. Just gotta figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone so watch for weird posts!
Old 04-01-2011, 03:30 AM   #27
AniBee
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG's baby mama View Post
Generally, I think there is no such thing as colic.

Either a child has reflux issues or is allergic to something that he/she is eating.

I am being somewhat facetious, but I think it is way too common to brush off real problems to colic just because your child is too young to challenge that diagnosis.

I had "colic" problems with both of my children and it turned out that they both inherited my milk protein allergy (and yes they have been fully diagnosed by GI docs).

If I had stopped at the point when my doc said colic we'd have had battle royale for months with our screaming children.

It is NOT natural for your child to cry endlessly or constantly throw up his/her food.

HTH...
I absolutely 100% agree that there really is no such thing as colic, however, it's still a term used even in the medical community. Babies cry for a reason...whether they're in pain or possibly just plain old grumpy...colic is a catch all phrase when a doctor can't figure out what's going on. This I understand.

While it may be an all too common problem to accept the use of the term colic & not push for further investigation, that is not the problem in this case. I understand that just by reading my posts you may think that's what I'm doing, but you don't know the whole story.

DS1 had reflux [he was a spitter] & we fought & fought for him to have an upper GI to diagnose his reflux [& it was indeed diagnosed]. Finally he was put on Zantac, which didn't do anything but give him a headache & then Alimentum was the saving grace for him. DS2 exhibited signs of reflux [silent] from birth & he was put on Zantac at just over a week old. At 2 weeks old he had severe jaundice, which we found to was caused by hemolytic anemia. He was rushed to the hospital, had to have a blood transfusion & was there for over a week. After discharge he no longer exhibited ANY signs of reflux, really [besides crying, I guess]. His ped would like to put him on Zantac or Prevacid just to see if it helps/to rule it out, but due to the instance of anemia it's not an option...too risky.

She's an amazing ped & has checked him over thoroughly...even looked at stool I brought in to show her. She suggested trying hypoallergenic formula, but we decided to try soy first before taking that leap [due to cost]. We see her again on Monday, as she wants to keep updated on how he's doing.

DS does not cry endlessly. He does have happy periods [mornings are great for him]...what we've described to the ped has made her suspect it's temperment, but she IS keeping up on it to make sure it isn't anything else. DS also does not throw up...he barely ever spits up.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:36 AM   #28
zonapellucida
Registered Users
seller

Location: Diligently working on getting out of the hellish state of FL
My Mood:

I put I in her swing with the floor cleaning thing that I can't seem to spell correctly> Here we go the vacuum. She would start screaming as soon as the sun went down for huors. Horrible stuff, colic.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #29
ecbcmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

been there with ds#2! i used to buy him 1 balloon a week it was the only thing that would make him stop!
ecbcmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:36 PM   #30
AniBee
Registered Users
seller

Well, it seems soy has somewhat helped.

I didn't mention that DS2's stools were curdled, very foul smelling & mucousy sometimes. Since switching to soy 3 days ago he has been constipated, but when he does poop it's like normal baby poop...kind of a light brown, smooth & no curdles. It still smells, of course, but nowhere near as bad as his BM's on other formula.

He isn't as gassy & he seems to be sleeping better. We're going to continue the soy for now, to see if the crying improves but in the least there is improvement in other areas.