Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-28-2011, 08:22 PM   #1
Lousli
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Rash and ammonia smell :(

You may recall my thread a while back about borrowed diapers (Kissaluvs) with ammonia smell. I tried Dawn, I tried lots of rinsing, I tried extra detergent and lots of rinsing. What finally seemed to get rid of it was bleach, detergent and lots and lots of washing/rinsing.

I've been using the diapers about 4 weeks and the ammonia smell is back. We've been fighting a diaper rash, and today she got a really red, almost burned looking butt. I stopped using those diapers right away and today used a few brand new BG AIO's I got at my shower and some prefolds.

Our wash routine has been cold water wash with Planet detergent (1/2 the suggested amount) and then hot water wash with 2 rinses. The hot water wash only gets so hot though, because it automatically adds cool water into the cycle.

Help! I don't want to bleach too much, since they aren't my diapers. I have them soaking right now in warm water with bac-out. Then what? I need a wash routine that works! I don't have hard water. I'm about ready to retire the Kissaluvs and just go to prefolds only.

Advertisement

Lousli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Rash and ammonia smell :(

The ammonia = not clean enough.

How old is your babe?

My first suggestion is rinse with a hot or warm rinse.

I would bleach again (with the stinky ones) and then continue with more detergent. See how long that lasts. I know lots of mamas that bleach like once a month to keep the stinkies at bay.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:56 PM   #3
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

Maybe try a different detergent?
Old 03-29-2011, 05:40 AM   #4
onegratefulmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had stinkies too with planet powder in a top loader until the suggestion to use more detergent now I use 1 1/2 green scoops (6oz) on large load and full scoop 4oz on medium load my routine is a full hot wash/cold rinse cycle 3x the first time I add 2 capfuls of bac out to the rinse dispenser (pre rinse) second time I add detergent and washing soda (I have a whole house water softener) the third time nothing hth!
onegratefulmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:51 AM   #5
theprofessionalbaby
Registered Users

I would agree you need a different detergent. If you like, you can try make your own. I do it. It takes less than an hour. Then, after you have solved your detergent worry, do an extra wash, as hot as you can, with only a capful of calgon. Try it once a month.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
Lousli
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My baby is a newborn, only a month old.

I'm confused because some people say the ammonia is mineral/detergent build up and some say it means the diapers aren't clean enough. So I'm reading all over the place various suggestions to either strip the diapers (Calgon, RLR, Funk Rock) or just wash on hot and rinse, rinse, rinse. Or less detergent, or different detergent, or more detergent.

I'm totally fine with switching detergent, but I just want to get this fixed asap, and I don't want to go through a million different things to get something to work. Can anyone suggest something that is fool-proof?
Lousli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:02 PM   #7
onegratefulmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

This happened to me when my NB was about 4 weeks old and the more detergent route I explained in my previous post fixed it - I also was told to consider build up but like you that did not make sense to me the "they are not clean need more detergent" did make sense and my dd2 is now 5months and I have not had another issue not much to lose by trying more of what you already have KWIM ?
onegratefulmama is offline   Reply With Quote