Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-10-2011, 12:00 AM   #1
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Parents of Autistic kiddos, have your kids always squirmed when falling asleep?

My son is laying next to me now. Finally asleep! He gets to sleep with me when dad plays games with his buds.
Anyways, he's a squirmer. Like he'll writhe back & forth, hold his breath for a bit & exhale deeply. Move his head back & forth & up & down. It drives me crazy! But it's like he can't stop doing it until he is out cold. Sometimes this can take more than an hour!
Then I remembered the reason we started co-sleeping when he was a newborn was because he couldn't ever fall asleep without me holding him tightly. He would literally be exhausted all the time but couldn't ever let himself fall asleep. So I would have him lay in the crook of my arm & hold him on his side firmly against my side so that he could stop moving long enough to fall asleep.
And I'm not talking he was almost asleep and then he would startle himself awake, I mean he would literally non stop wiggle for hours. Like he couldn't stop himself.
And he still does it. He doesn't have ADD or ADHD(trust me, he has been tested of more things throughout his life!) and normally during daily activities, he can sit & be bodily still & quiet just fine. It's only sleeping(or trying to) that is the issue. Once you get the kid still, he's out like a light though!
Just wondered if it's a trait common with Asperger's or Autism kids.

Advertisement

Old 04-10-2011, 06:44 AM   #2
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Parents of Autistic kiddos, have your kids always squirmed when falling asleep?

My autistic son is a worse sleeper than my typical son. He doesn't wiggle constantly but he wiggles a ton. He loves to co-sleep but I'm not so fond of co-sleeping with him, poor guy. We only sleep in the same bed about once a month. He has a much harder time falling asleep. As a baby as long as he was with me he did fine. It was around 6 months or so that I noticed he was having a much harder time sleeping than he brother did
Old 04-10-2011, 06:47 AM   #3
blessedmama2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Parents of Autistic kiddos, have your kids always squirmed when falling asleep?

My son has Sensory Processing Disorder and we haven't ruled out ASD. But he is a terrible sleeper. He always has been since the second he was born, we had always thought it was just cause of his terrible reflux. For a part of the time, I am sure it was, but from what I understand it is very come for kids with an ASD and Sensory Issues. *hugs* I hope everyone gets some sleep soon!
Nikki-mama to 3 little miracles that complete me. 3 BOYS M-10/06 (my Invitro baby) J-3/09 (my LO that keeps me on my toes) and J-9/10 (my totally unexpected miracle that completed our family) Proud Air Force wife to M.
blessedmama2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:25 AM   #4
jefesita
Registered Users
seller

2 words. Weighted blanket! LOVE ours! total lifesaver!
Old 04-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #5
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I'm like that and I don't have autism. I do have ADHD, which some "experts" put on the spectrum, but I don't know how accurate that is.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #6
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor
I'm like that and I don't have autism. I do have ADHD, which some "experts" put on the spectrum, but I don't know how accurate that is.
It's very accurate, just a new thought IMO

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum so I'm blaming all my typos & mistakes on my phone

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #7
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefesita View Post
2 words. Weighted blanket! LOVE ours! total lifesaver!
Yes, yes, YES!!!!
Jamie, David squirms too, he goes through cycles where he won't for weeks and then will for weeks.

In addition to the weighted blankets, have you heard of the sheets that fit tight over the mattress? I'll have to look up the site for you. I can't remember it off hand.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

The weighted blankets are pretty easy to make, if you are at all crafty. My SIL made them for two of her kids who have sensory issues. She said it was mostly just straight seams, so not too difficult.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:27 PM   #9
JamieJLD
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm really lucky that my DD with ASD is a wonderful sleeper. She doesn't squirm too much, but she does hate co-sleeping. She likes being in my bed but the second I touch her she yells out "I will NOT touch you!!"

She does like rubbing her hand on the silky part of her lovey and that little hand will keep moving until she is in a deep, deep sleep.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:35 PM   #10
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Kearnan was a terrible sleeper as an infant because of reflux but he was fine when it finally settled at around 6 months. Then he stopped sleeping altogether at 18months. It wasn't that he tossed and turned he just screamed all of the time. When he did sleep he slept fine though. It is my youngest who is the rough sleeper. He tosses, turns, kicks, hits, thrashes, ect. I was rather eager to have him move to his own bed because I was tired of having him on top of me. I like cosleeping but sleeping with him was rough. Sleeping with Kearnan is quite easy by comparison, you just have to worry about him hogging the blankets. The oddest thing he did was rub the face of my watch or my wedding ring when he was tired or nervous.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote