Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #111
MomToMyMonkeys
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Car seat laws? What is your opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDancerAcres View Post
I love my infant carseat I wish my baby did it fit him perfectly but he acts as if he is being tortured and I hate being told how I need to parent my children.

A little off topic We where digging up a plot for our garden today and ran over to my moms to pick up buckets to haul water to water our garden, well my run into my sil and she went home and told her mom that my 4 year old was filthy and my baby stank. I was little of course he was alittle dirty we are diggin a garden and no the baby didnt stink ( she gags when babies situp too which I find ridiculous) I was just astonished when my mom called saying hubbys mom had called her telling her the kids were dirty. To which of course she replied no, they are not they just left here. I seen them.
Just out of curiosity, were your children riding in carseats when you "ran over to your moms"?? Because if so, then who cares if they are dirty as long as they are safe? My kids sometimes go a few days between baths, but they NEVER ride anywhere (no matter how near or far) without being properly restrained.

Just sayin'...

Advertisement

MomToMyMonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:27 PM   #112
an_aurora
Registered Users

Car seats allow you to make parenting choices. Without car seats, if you're in a crash, the only choice you will be making is which casket to buy.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #113
kandbcase
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the carseat laws, I will do whatever I need to to keep my kids as safe as possible. You never know what you'll encounter on the roads. I would say at the very least follow the minimums, personally, DD will be rearfacing until she's 3 at least (she's 26 lbs & 2), then harnessed until she outgrows a Nautilus or Frontier. DS is currently 5.5, 35 lbs & harnessed in a Nautilus, he'll be in it until he outgrows it. Do they always like their seats? No. But guess what, that doesn't matter to me. Its my job as a parent to keep them safe, & they're learning that no matter how much you don't like it, you don't always get what you want.
A 9 month old died Saturday morning here, his grandma was driving & had him in a booster seat, he was ejected from the vehicle. It was early in the morning, I'm sure only 1 other vehicle on the road, the vehicle they crashed with.

Quote:
we live in a town of 2 000 people with very very few driving related accidents, and we rarely drive anywhere. most of the time we bike if we can however we can not carrying a 275 gallon water tank for our garden on the back of a bike. so in that instance for now we have to drive.
If its too stressful for you to go out in the car with your children, then no I don't think you need to. Either walk or do your errands while your husband is home, only travel in the car for emergencies.

Quote:
all of mine by age 4 could get out of a 5 point. the only thing they couldnt get out of was a lap belt that tightens as you wiggle.
I'm thinking you don't have the harness tight enough if your children could wiggle out of the carseat? The strap should be tight on the child.

Quote:
Okay to clarify not looking for anyone to validate what I believe I am just wondering other peoples opinions. BTW what is an 8 in 80 state?
BTW the law in Texas is the age of 8 OR 4'9".

Quote:
I love my infant carseat I wish my baby did it fit him perfectly but he acts as if he is being tortured and I hate being told how I need to parent my children.

A little off topic We where digging up a plot for our garden today and ran over to my moms to pick up buckets to haul water to water our garden, well my run into my sil and she went home and told her mom that my 4 year old was filthy and my baby stank. I was little of course he was alittle dirty we are diggin a garden and no the baby didnt stink ( she gags when babies situp too which I find ridiculous) I was just astonished when my mom called saying hubbys mom had called her telling her the kids were dirty. To which of course she replied no, they are not they just left here. I seen them.
Have you tried putting your 4 month old in a seat more upright? If he has good head control he can sit more upright & this did wonders for both of my children.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #114
MrsStripe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
we live in a town of 2 000 people with very very few driving related accidents, and we rarely drive anywhere. most of the time we bike if we can however we can not carrying a 275 gallon water tank for our garden on the back of a bike. so in that instance for now we have to drive.
Well, our accident that totaled 2 vehicles and rolled ours on its side happened in a small community of possibly 200 people (maybe 20 houses) about 15 miles from home. In our vehicle were DH, me, my 6 week old, and my 3 year old. You can certainly bet if we weren't restrained properly there would have been injuries. When the fire department got there they asked me about 5 times where the people from the van were and I kept saying it was us. The didn't believe me because none of us had major injuries, they even cleared that the boys did not have to go to the hospital. My 6 week old knows what it is like to be hit by a truck because we were broadsided, he will most likely have no memory of it and has no scars to show from it because of his restraint. I don't think his seat even moved in the crash. Oh by the way he was screaming in his seat because that is what he did, but that in no way affected the accident. I can't even imagine what would have happened if I had loosed it or moved him to make him more "comfortable". We have also cleaned all unnecessary items out of the van because projectiles can damage as much as anything else. I always have to remind my mom that she isn't a light pinball if we got into an accident and I don't want her bouncing off of me so she had better buckle up.

We just got DS1's new seat from FedEx today. We replaced the one from the accident with the same seat because insurance required us to, but after researching we decided the new seat will be even safer for him so he will be in the 5 point harness until it doesn't fit any more.

Quote:
my youngest that cries so bad is 4 months not really old enough in my opinion to throw a fit.
Have you looked into getting a new seat. DS2 doesn't like his infant bucket seat and tells us every time we strap him into it. We will be moving him into a different rear facing seat as soon as DS1's seat is installed, but I always choose safety over comfort for my children even when they throw their fits. My DS is only 4 months old now and of course they cry to let you know they aren't happy. If you get so stressed about him crying in the car figure out something that works that still keeps him safe.

I'm not a pushy carseat person, but after learning what I know and thinking logically because DH and I love physics it makes complete sense to do rear facing. You better believe I explain the difference to people and the benefits.
MrsStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:34 PM   #115
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Okay, here is the thing.

You do not HAVE to drive.

It may make your life easier. But it is not a requirement. The government does not say, you MUST drive X # of hours a week and oh, by the way you must use a car seat. Driving is a privilege.

The government is NOT telling you how to raise your children, they are telling you what safety precautions you must use while utilizing a PRIVILEGE they give you.

Quite frankly I think the car seat laws are too lax (I wish the laws would be 2 AND 30 RF, 5 AND 40 before they can ride in a booster and 8 AND 80 before they can ride in an adult seat). I think the punishments are FAR too lax (in Iowa it's only like $80 I think...I think it should be closer to $500)
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:35 PM   #116
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I agree that you should try a convertible seat for your 4 month old. My DD hated the bucket seat so we switched her to a convertible at 4 months and it helped a lot.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:35 PM   #117
mmmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My friend was sitting at a stop light Friday afternoon after picking her son up from daycare. She was not moving when a van driving too fast clipped the end of truck turning and sent that truck barrelling into her while she sat there. Accident happen even when you aren't driving. She is still in hospital but will be fine. Her son is fine and according to the firemen that arrived on scene first, if it wasn't for the car seat he would be leaving in an ambulance because the car was crushed on the side that his seat was installed on.
My 5.5 year old rides harnessed, my 4 year old rides harnesses. They will until atleast 6 because they are safer and I cannot gaurentee that some idiot on the road won't hit me.
My daughter cried everytime we were in the car for over 2 years but she stayed rear facing until 2 and is still in a car seat
Old 03-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #118
pcjs
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriket View Post
Can we be friends!

I have been sooo turned off by uber carseat people I looooath having to buy a new seat for DS2. My almost 2yo 32lb DS is FF, and I feel like CPS is lurking around the corner because I'm not keeping him RF to 15. They are giving me a complex

Yet, evidently they still have work to do.
No worries, most of the folks at CPS have no clue how to use a car seat and theirs are probably so old and crusty that you'd be having a fit if your child was put in one (when I worked there I'd bring them home and wash them as it was nasty). I finally had a fit about how old they were and we got some newer ones but they weren't very good or nice and we didn't have boosters. It was years ago so I hope its changed but I see kids in our county cars all the time not properly restrained. And, when I did work there I would alway have to reinstall the seats if they were installed as they were always loose/poorly done. They now have a car seat training but reality is if it isn't our child, most people don't care.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:40 PM   #119
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaNae View Post
Okay, here is the thing.

You do not HAVE to drive.

It may make your life easier. But it is not a requirement. The government does not say, you MUST drive X # of hours a week and oh, by the way you must use a car seat. Driving is a privilege.

The government is NOT telling you how to raise your children, they are telling you what safety precautions you must use while utilizing a PRIVILEGE they give you.

Quite frankly I think the car seat laws are too lax (I wish the laws would be 2 AND 30 RF, 5 AND 40 before they can ride in a booster and 8 AND 80 before they can ride in an adult seat). I think the punishments are FAR too lax (in Iowa it's only like $80 I think...I think it should be closer to $500)
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:43 PM   #120
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

oh gosh, my 17 month old has been a car screamer since day ONE. She screams so bad she turns blue...she still rear faces....sorry, just not worth it IMO. It is PROVEN safer to rear face your children as long as the seat allows and until at least 2. Dont like it, dont drive.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote