Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #21
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Car seat laws? What is your opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
If it's a choice between causing the mom and child stress or the baby dying, I'll pick stress every time.
this. even if it means arriving to your destination late...it's worth it

Advertisement

Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:56 PM   #22
SunDancerAcres
File with paypal if you bought! See thread in WAHMwares!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctj101502 View Post
I totally understand where you are coming from. My 1st child screamed the same when in the car. I had to tune it out or I couldn't get to work. It was heartbreaking especially when I woul dget to said destination andhe would be covered in tears and sweta dn when I picked him up he would just be sniffeling and making funny hiccup noises to catch his breath again. It was horrible

BUT with that being said, I also believe letting the child run the show is an early onset of the child being in charge later so I tiptoe carefully with fits and tantrums because I am in charge not them. I knew of an accident where the baby was not in the seat buckled but being nursed instead. The mom couldn't help but have the baby fly out of her arms and he slammed into the windshield because of the impact and died. So no matter what, I am for carseats and a crying baby than a dead baby...
my youngest that cries so bad is 4 months not really old enough in my opinion to throw a fit.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:56 PM   #23
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDancerAcres View Post
Here s my question on just ignoring them ... do you not think that cuases stress on both the mother and the child and tells the child I really dont care that you are crying. I never ignore my child when he is crying I think it sends the wrong message to them.
Meh, I would ignore my child anyways if he was trying to eat nothing but candy regardless if he was crying or not. The entire first year of my eldest son's life was horrid (it is the year that must not be mentioned in our family). Not only did he have horrible colic; nonstop teething (had his molars by the time he was eight months old); he cried the entire time he was in the car; I was working full time and going to school full time and pumping in between breaks; I'd go days without seeing him awake; and I had PPD (so bad that I considered suicide on more than one occasion). But you know what? I still let him cry his heart out to the point where he would fall asleep in his seat whimpering while we were stuck in rush hour traffic in the highway. Why? Because even in my already stressed mind, I knew it was safer for him. I didn't know much about carseat safety except that the law was one and twenty pounds so even when it was suggested to us that we turn him to see if it'd calm him down I still didn't. I knew I had to leave him RF until he hit the one year mark even though he was already 20lbs by the time he was four months old.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:59 PM   #24
DocsNemesis
Registered Users
seller
seller

We're an 8 and 80 state as well. I too agree that it should be a worse offense to not have children properly restrained. I like the weight and age limits we have, but I wish parents would get more than a slap on the hand for not following them. I do hope that with the new AAP guidelines, they make it mandatory to rear face until 2.

IMO, every child should have the right to be as safe as possible in the car. They shouldn't have to suffer-or be killed-because their parents felt that it wasn't anyones business whether they were buckled properly or not or because their kid doesn't like it. So what? Are you going to give into every little thing your child wants? Thats a recipe for disaster. There is nothing even remotely wrong with them learning that in certain situations, they have to deal with it. Yes, with a very young baby, I'd pull over, check a diaper, check if they're hungry, check to make sure they are comfortable, and then get back on the road. With an older baby, no, not unless we were on the road for quite a while.

I'll take a crying baby over a hurt/dead baby ANY DAY. Car accidents happen all.the.time. If you chose to stick your kid in a booster seat too early, even a minor accident can send them flying through the windshield. Turning them forward facing too early and a fairly minor accident can still hurt their spine. Why would you want to endanger your child like that? Even the most cautious drivers can't prevent others from driving like idiots...

www.Hyenacart.com/Naked for dyed tee's, flats, yarn, and soon, bamboo prefolds! Stocking 7/20!
DocsNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:59 PM   #25
SunDancerAcres
File with paypal if you bought! See thread in WAHMwares!

btw : I have a uncle whose son die from crying. He had a weak heart. I don t want to chance that ever happening to mine. Saying that if I were in a town that had 20,000 instead of 2000 (that is the whole county I believe) and I felt that it was a dangerous situation where people might hit me or I might be in am accident the story might be different I just think it should be the parents choice.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #26
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Four years ago a girl I went to high school was in a car accident.

She was going 60mph (roughly) down a 2 lane highway when another car going 60mph (roughly) crossed the center lane and hit her head on. Three out of the four restrained adult passengers in the other car were killed instantly, the 4th later died of her injuries. The girl I KNEW died instantly. Her 1 year old, rear facing, restrained daughter walked away without a scratch. Not a scratch. I do not want to imagine what would have happened to that little girl if she'd been forward facing, yet alone not restrained. She would have died just like the other 5 people in the crash.

My child's life is non-negotiable. I love my children and it breaks my heart that they get upset in the vehicle but I would prefer upset for 30 minutes vs dead forever. And one time my oldest son screamed non-stop in the car for almost 60 minutes (the roads were not safe for pulling over, I was afraid of someone sliding off the road and hitting me). Again, I'd prefer upset over dead.
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:05 PM   #27
DocsNemesis
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
all of mine by age 4 could get out of a 5 point. the only thing they couldnt get out of was a lap belt that tightens as you wiggle.
If they figured out the 5 point buckles, get a different kind. Seriously. I could get out of mine as a kid, but the ones I have now are impossible for my kids to figure out. Even my 8 year old can't get them out. There are lots of different types. That and with a 4 month old that arguement is kinda silly...

If your ds is 4 months old, I'm not sure what you're trying to ask...are you wanting to hold him in the car? I don't think you'll get any validation from anyone here for that...and even if you're in a small town, with rare accidents...they happen. So ask yourself-if you were the unfortunate one to get into an accident and your baby died as a result of you not wanting him to cry, how would you feel? Thats what made me decide to keep my kids rear facing. I could not handle the guilt.

www.Hyenacart.com/Naked for dyed tee's, flats, yarn, and soon, bamboo prefolds! Stocking 7/20!

Last edited by DocsNemesis; 03-29-2011 at 06:18 PM.
DocsNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:06 PM   #28
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
we live in a town of 2 000 people with very very few driving related accidents, and we rarely drive anywhere. most of the time we bike if we can however we can not carrying a 275 gallon water tank for our garden on the back of a bike. so in that instance for now we have to drive.
If you don't drive often, what's your point anyway? And what is your alternative? Do you have your child on your lap while driving and are you telling me that this is less distractive? Honestly, I think these laws are made for people like you.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:06 PM   #29
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
we live in a town of 2 000 people with very very few driving related accidents, and we rarely drive anywhere. most of the time we bike if we can however we can not carrying a 275 gallon water tank for our garden on the back of a bike. so in that instance for now we have to drive.
I grew up in a town of 290, Bowersville Ohio and seat belts/carseats were never optional. There are lots of deer, tractors, drunk rednecks, goofy teenagers etc. The road is dangerous. It gets icy, it's gravel, it's washed out, snowed out, whatever the combines leave all over the place that's so freaking slick. Some of my "best" oh-$hit moments were on country roads in a S-10 with something ridiculous like 275 gals of water, or 100 bales of hay. Which add another element of danger. I've jack-knifed many trailers

Thanks for the discussion. My spidey-sence tells me we're close to the line between discussion and name calling, I will be watching from here on.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:07 PM   #30
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Here s my question on just ignoring them ... do you not think that cuases stress on both the mother and the child and tells the child I really dont care that you are crying. I never ignore my child when he is crying I think it sends the wrong message to them.
I have had lots of screamers and I never once thought about not buckling them in. I would try to stay home so we didn't have to go in the car ,but if we had to go they would ride buckled. I am very concerned about my kids needs and always tend to them when they cry,BUT safety comes first when we travel. I do think a screaming baby causes stress on the baby and mother but it cause less stress on the mother than a dead baby because she wouldn't buckle her baby up. Seatbelts save lives that is all there is to it!