Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-11-2011, 09:05 AM   #311
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libacious
Wow! This is a VERY heated discussion. I can see why. Yes, I do think the current carseat laws are necessary. Believe me, I feel you. It's awful to hear them scream and fuss and be unhappy about the being restrained, BUT when their safety is being put at risk, that is another thing all together. Recently, there have been a lot of changes in carseat recommendations. As an RN, I attended a 4-HOUR carseat class, crazy, I know. One of the topics was that rear facing carseats will be encouraged for the safetly limit of the carseat! Um, my 18 month olds carseat goes up to 55 pounds...uhhhh, not gonna happen. I was one of the giddy mom's who happily turned her 1 year old, 21 pounder around asap. Stella was happier, I was happier. Now, of course, I feel some guilt, since I now know the increased safety she would have if I turned her around, but it just won't work for us. I do think a carseat is necessary. As with most things, just because the baby cries, doesn't mean you are doing the wrong thing. Baby just may not like it. Like when my daughter wants to play with the plugs, or get into things that could be dangerous, yeah, she cries when I tell her no. She may not understand that I love her and want to protect her, but she will. Your son will understand and he will get used to his carseat. Children are killed or seriously, permanently injured due to MVA's. It only takes one accident. One moment that you could never take back. As the controversy on the safest way for children to ride in carseats continue, I hold fast to the belief that one way or the other, a carseat is absolutely necessary.
CPST's go through 4-5 DAYS of training. 4 hours isn't too bad. I went to at least 6-8 hours of birth classes filled with outdated information, given by a retired RN, who promised us antiquated policies and procedures. It wasn't like that at the end. 4 hours to protect your child in the car isn't much.

And unless you are in another country, your car seat does not rear face to 55 lbs. The highest in this country is 45, with the majority being 40 or 35

Advertisement

Old 04-11-2011, 09:14 AM   #312
mommaagain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Car seat laws? What is your opinion.

This is the stupidest thread I've seen. No one likes to be "told" how to parent. But to ignore statistics that show your child is far safer in a safety seat makes you an idiot.
mommaagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:56 AM   #313
psylion
Registered Users
seller

The fact that that anyone would question the need to have children and babies ride in car seats proves that some people need to be told how to parent. My DD was a car seat screamer as an infant and she learned to unclip her own chest strap as as a toddler. I did a lot of pulling over and feeling like I would tear all my hair out but I never considered having her ride in the car unless she was safely strapped into her seat.