Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-29-2011, 06:07 PM   #31
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Car seat laws? What is your opinion.

No, a parent does not have a 'right' to not restrain their child because they do not have a 'right' to be behind the wheel of a car. Driving is a privilege. To have the PRIVILEGE of driving one has to abide by all the rules of the road.

Advertisement

Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:08 PM   #32
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDancerAcres View Post
btw : I have a uncle whose son die from crying. He had a weak heart. I don t want to chance that ever happening to mine. Saying that if I were in a town that had 20,000 instead of 2000 (that is the whole county I believe) and I felt that it was a dangerous situation where people might hit me or I might be in am accident the story might be different I just think it should be the parents choice.
even if you are the ONLY person on the road, you can STILL have an accident and kill your child. What if YOU lose control of the wheel for some reason? Can you predict that? I think not.

I would rather have a screaming child than a dead child. I personally think the laws are too lax and the punishment is too lax. The laws are there because people don't have enough common sense to do these things on their own so the law has to enforce them. Education on the matter should be enough. it's clearly not, hence the laws.
My Sweet Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:11 PM   #33
DocsNemesis
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
btw : I have a uncle whose son die from crying. .
Uh...k...thats a new one for me. I'm pretty sure if your ds had a weak enough heart that he'd die from crying, you'd know it by now.

www.Hyenacart.com/Naked for dyed tee's, flats, yarn, and soon, bamboo prefolds! Stocking 7/20!
DocsNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:11 PM   #34
magsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDancerAcres

all of mine by age 4 could get out of a 5 point. the only thing they couldnt get out of was a lap belt that tightens as you wiggle.
Mine too! I'm just short of duck taping them in! . The thread needed a little humor....I have escape artists!

Lovin' this....Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
Old 03-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #35
kej
Registered Users
seller

I think car seat laws and seat belt laws are good. They save lives. It's like the laws against drinking and driving.

My baby cried and cried and I ignored her in the car seat, or else I never would have left the house in the 1st year of her life. And years later, she's really ok.

What drives me nuts though are the "car seats zealots" who get in peoples' faces and write all these rants about other people. So not everyone embraces rf as long as we do. Be pleased their baby is in a car seat, period (or I hope they are-then you can rant). It doesn't make them any less of a good mommy or daddy. How about more rants on texting and talking on the phone while driving? Now that's much more dangerous.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:18 PM   #36
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
btw : I have a uncle whose son die from crying. He had a weak heart. I don t want to chance that ever happening to mine. Saying that if I were in a town that had 20,000 instead of 2000 (that is the whole county I believe) and I felt that it was a dangerous situation where people might hit me or I might be in am accident the story might be different I just think it should be the parents choice.
You don't have to be in an accident with another car, it could be an animal crossing the street and you need to break or a person or an object flying around etc. Have you never been in a situation where you had to hit your breaks suddenly and hard? If you are concerned for your child dieing from stress of crying you should not put him in that situation. That means you cannot drive. There are moillions of people in this world that do not drive. You haven't told us yet how you transport your child in the car or how you would like to do it.
I heard of these stories as well where people told or were told that they would not be injured at all if they would not have worn a seatbelt, I am very interested in how that was proven and what kind of a scenario that would have been.

Last edited by cedricsmom; 03-29-2011 at 06:38 PM.
cedricsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:22 PM   #37
momofdestructobaby
Registered Users
seller

I'll take a screaming child over a dead one any day.

I remember wearing a seatbelt as a child. I don't remember riding in a car seat.

Changes in laws are made to better protect our children, and ourselves. Changes become necessary as we learn more, and as times change. Cars are built differently now than years ago...more are on the road...speeds are different.....there are a mirriad of things that have changed. IMO if YOU choose not to wear YOUR seatbelt, then that is your choice....but you have no right to endanger your child, without his consent by placing him in a moving vehicle, unrestrained.

And, yes, I DO remember a child I knew being killed in a car accident, not wearing a seatbelt. I also knew someone who was hit by a car (lightly) while riding his bike (before helmet use was law), head hit the curb and he is now permanently brain damaged. My kids wear seatbelts/carseats and bike helmets.

If your child threw a fit in the toy isle of walmart, would you buy him what he wanted? If he wanted to play with a kitchen knife and threw a fit about it, would you let him? How is that any different than giving in to him when he doesn't want to be in a car seat?

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by momofdestructobaby; 03-29-2011 at 06:24 PM.
momofdestructobaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:23 PM   #38
Ellasundies
Registered Users

I'm normally not the type of person that believes in enacting laws that infringe upon the rights of others. But I think it's absolutely ridiculous to risk your childs life just because you don't feel like listening to them cry. Imagine yourself at your childs funeral explaining what happened to someone, "I just didn't want him to feel lonely".

My niece is a screamer. I've had to spend looonnng car rides in the car with her. I'm pretty capable of tuning a crying kid out if I have to. Certainly if you can't do that then you shouldn't drive.

And for the record.....
My neighbor/friends son died in a car accident. His aunt was driving, he was 3 and had wiggled out of his seat belt. His aunt was leaning around telling him to get back in his seat and they wreaked. He flew through the windshield and died instantly. My neighbor had to bury her 3 year old.

Seat belts were non-negotiable when I was growing up.

I will agree though that for older kids these laws are a pain. If I have another child (so 3 total) I won't be able to fit them all in the car and I will have to buy another. They need to make seats more streamlined and user friendly. But that is a different rant for a different day.
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:24 PM   #39
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricsmom View Post
You don't have to be in an accident with another car, it could be an animal crossing the street and you need to break or a person or an object flying around etc. Have you never been in a situation where you had to hit your breaks suddenly and hard? If you are concerned for your child dieing from stress of crying you should not put him in that situation. That means you cannot drive. There are moillions of people in this world that do not drive. You haven't told us yet how you transport your child in the car or how you would like to do it.
I heard of these stories as well where people told or were told that they would not be insured at all if they would not have worn a seatbelt, I am very interested in how that was proven and what kind of a scenario that would have been.
You know, I've never heard of anyone saying that they wouldn't be insured if they weren't properly restrained but this is a good idea. Make it so that if a person is in an accident, their insurance claim would not be covered if they were not properly restrained. Usually once a person is forced to shell out their own money to pay for their own stupidity, they end up learning the lesson and stop.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:26 PM   #40
alexsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 17 year old cousin died when he was in an accident and did not wear his seat belt. He would have been fine if he had worn one.
My friend's 19 year old brother was ejected from his truck and died. He would have lived if he had worn one.
My niece's boyfriend lost his 14 year old brother when he was in an accident without a seat belt. He would have lived if he had worn one.
A local family lost their 9 month old baby because he was not restrained properly. All of these in the past two years.
Only the last of these involved another car.

Both of my kids screamed for the first 6 months every time we went in the car. My 9 month old still cries at every stop light most trips.
They are both properly restrained every time we leave our driveway, will rearface until the limits of their seats and be harnessed after that. I have watched these families deal with the unimaginable and seen the toll it has taken. There is no way I could forgive myself if my children were injured or killed because of a decision I made for my own convenience.

Last edited by alexsmom; 03-29-2011 at 06:36 PM.
alexsmom is offline   Reply With Quote