Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-29-2011, 06:28 PM   #41
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Car seat laws? What is your opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDancerAcres View Post
all of mine by age 4 could get out of a 5 point. the only thing they couldnt get out of was a lap belt that tightens as you wiggle.
The lap belt does not protect a small child, inform yourself about seat belt statistics, their use, what they can and what they can't do.
My three year old also tried to open his seatbelt, he can't at the moment but when he can and does not listen and will not leave it alone he will not be able to drive. I would not allowe him to open the door either (driving or not) since he can endanger himself and others by doing so. At some point we all go through phases where we have to discipline our children and not only to raise them to become good people but also to keep them save. If you are concerned for your four month old life while driving I really think you should not drive!

Advertisement

Old 03-29-2011, 06:30 PM   #42
dublinup
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had a screamer with DS1. It truly gave me sweaty palms. I didn't know much about car seats then, and I turned my child right at 1 year. Now I have another son, and he just turned 1 this past month. We are now an ERF family. My 4 year old is and will be in a car seat until he's at least 5 (yes, he'll stay in his Radian until then). I haven't decided upon date about turning DS2, but I will re-evaluate when he's 2.

I DON'T LIKE to be told I MUST do something by our government. I'm kind of a right wing gal I guess. That said, I don't really know that most parents would just comply with a recommendation about it either. I'm not one of the "carseat people". I don't spend every waking free moment lurking on Craigslist to see if someone just might post an expired seat that day, and that I single handedly will rid the world one flag at a time and tell every person I know how restrain their child. That said (again), I wouldn't know about ERFing if it weren't for the carseat loonies (yes, ladies, you know who you are and I thank you for fanatically educating me).

So, in a nutshell, I'm a total fence rider. I don't want people to tell me what I have to do, but I think most parents ignore sound advice.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:31 PM   #43
momofdestructobaby
Registered Users
seller

2 teenager here wrecked their van last summer. Passenger was wearing her seatbelt and was fine....didn't even need to be treated at the hospital. Got out and went for help (it was dark...she couldn't find her cell after the crash). Driver (aged 16) was not belted in and ejected through the front window. He struck his head (probably on his vehicle), and was knocked unconscious. Landed in 9 inches of water. Drowned while emergency personnel were en-route.

Seat belts SAVE lives. No question about it.

I am a former police officer. I have been to hundreds of car accidents...where people were and were not belted in. Makes a HUGE difference in fatality rates.

Last edited by momofdestructobaby; 03-29-2011 at 06:32 PM.
momofdestructobaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:33 PM   #44
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourpatch_babe View Post
You know, I've never heard of anyone saying that they wouldn't be insured if they weren't properly restrained but this is a good idea. Make it so that if a person is in an accident, their insurance claim would not be covered if they were not properly restrained. Usually once a person is forced to shell out their own money to pay for their own stupidity, they end up learning the lesson and stop.
Big spelling mistake I made, I meant injured. But this is a point, I am not sure if insurance companies pay or not when you did not wear your seat belt. I also wonder if health insurance should pay or medicaid when you have injuries from not being restrained.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:35 PM   #45
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's also not a coincidence that Sweden has the strictest carseat laws and the lowest child deaths in motor vehicle accident rates. While here in the US motor vehicle accidents are one of the major causes of death for children 0-11 and the carseat laws are a joke in some states.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:37 PM   #46
mellysue
Registered Users

My Mood:

If you're looking for someone to tell you that it's okay to put your 4 year old in just the seat belt or your 4month old forward facing it's not going to happen.

My child screamed for a period there and I ignored him. (For the record I don't believe in CIO or ignoring my children.) But... I have to work everyday, I have to get from point A to point B and if that means my child is upset then he is upset. Yes, it stressed me out sometimes but I knew he wouldn't die from crying. If I was by myself there was nothing I could do. If my husband was driving and I was sitting in the back I could engage him and talk to him but that is hardly ever the case.

Yes, you are ALWAYS going to find that person who says I didn't wear seatbelts and we turned out fine. Yah, that may be but doctors always used to say it was okay to smoke while pregnant.
There are a ton more people now than 30 years ago, more people on the roads, more people driving, faster speeds. More distractions with cell phones and texting.
I do my best to drive my children the safest possible. Which means rear-facing to the limits of the seat, harnessing till they are ready to be boostered. Which to me is not till they are old enough, tall enough and weigh enough AND can sit correctly 100% of the time.(For my daughter that was 6 years old, for my son it could be different.)
He's still rf at 3years old.
I can do nothing about the drunk driver, the texter, the distracted driver, the animal that runs in front of my car, the tired driver.
I don't care if there are 4 people in your town. If you don't care enough about your children to properly secure them in a car then don't drive anywhere.
And yes I think it comes down to caring about your children. If you are going to come on here spouting about how sad and lonely your child is so you're not going to secure them in your vehicle then I think you have a lot more to think about.
If your child can get out of a 5 point harness then you need to figure out a way for them not to, duct tape, velcro, not going anywhere untill they understand it is not ACCEPTABLE.
I'm sorry to rant but this is unacceptable to me that you are so nonchalant about your childrens safety.

Last edited by mellysue; 03-29-2011 at 06:39 PM.
mellysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #47
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

everyone's tip toeing around here. But you are wrong, dead wrong. You are endangering your children, and in all honesty, if you don't value their lives enough to put them in a car seat, you shouldn't be parenting them. I am floored by everything you have been saying. Did you know most accidents happen very close to home? It doesn't matter how many people live in your city. Your children can DIE. Do you want to look at your four month olds body that has gone through the windshield and landed on the road, dead and gushing blood? How are you going to feel then? This is sickening. Stop making excuses, and put your children in car seats or DO NOT DRIVE. If you can't handle the crying, what else can you no handle? How are you going to parent these children? You should be charged with child abuse and endangerment IMO if you are not properly restraining your young children. The laws are in place for people like you who completely disregard their own children's safety.

ETA: And this is not meant for those who are uneducated, the OP obviously KNOWS what she is supposed to do, but doesn't want to do it. SO FREAKIN WHAT! I don't care if it's law or not, YOU as a parent have the responsibility to protect your child. And you are purposely disregarding it. Here's some info on CA penal code for child endangerment (I know you aren't in CA):

California Penal Code 273a PC punishes acts of child endangerment. Simply put, this crime occurs when an individual either (1) places a child in a dangerous situation, or (2) allows a child to be placed in a dangerous situation without taking steps to protect the child

*edited to make a little nicer b/c I dont want to get removed

Quote:
btw : I have a uncle whose son die from crying. He had a weak heart. I don t want to chance that ever happening to mine. Saying that if I were in a town that had 20,000 instead of 2000 (that is the whole county I believe) and I felt that it was a dangerous situation where people might hit me or I might be in am accident the story might be different I just think it should be the parents choice.

Last edited by 5PrincessMommy; 03-29-2011 at 06:50 PM.
5PrincessMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:43 PM   #48
momofdestructobaby
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
everyone's tip toeing around here. But you are wrong, dead wrong. You are endangering your children, and in all honesty, if you don't value their lives enough to put them in a car seat, you shouldn't be parenting them. I am floored by everything you have been saying. I am actually revolted. I have never heard of such idiocy coming out of a parents mouth. Did you know most accidents happen very close to home? It doesn't matter how many people live in your city. Your children can DIE. Do you want to look at your four month olds body that has gone through the windshield and landed on the road, dead and gushing blood? How are you going to feel then? This is sickening. Stop making excuses, and put your children in car seats or DO NOT DRIVE. If you can't handle the crying, what else can you no handle? How are you going to parent these children? You should be charged with child abuse and endangerment IMO if you are not properly restraining your young children. The laws are in place for people like you who completely disregard their own children's safety.
Yep. I have BTDT with the dead kids and the distraught parents......buckle your kids in properly....and save the anti-govt crusade for something a little more worthy.
momofdestructobaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:44 PM   #49
Rockinmama24
Registered Users

My Mood:
Well I've always been a carseat fanatic & my kids HATED then including 2 who puked EVERY.TIME. they were in them. You know what? We dealt with the puke but they stayed buckled. 5pt harness until 6, high back booster until 11. What really enforced my feelings was seeing a 4 yo boy splattered and I do mean splattered across the highway because he was ejected from the car unrestrained.
There was also a small child was riding in his teenage mothers lap in the back of a minivan. They were broadsided. She survived the poor baby did not. She now speaks out about carseat usage.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:44 PM   #50
aunt_freya
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
btw : I have a uncle whose son die from crying. He had a weak heart. I don t want to chance that ever happening to mine. Saying that if I were in a town that had 20,000 instead of 2000 (that is the whole county I believe) and I felt that it was a dangerous situation where people might hit me or I might be in am accident the story might be different I just think it should be the parents choice.
excuses...

Quote:
my youngest that cries so bad is 4 months not really old enough in my opinion to throw a fit.
excuses...

Quote:
we live in a town of 2 000 people with very very few driving related accidents, and we rarely drive anywhere. most of the time we bike if we can however we can not carrying a 275 gallon water tank for our garden on the back of a bike. so in that instance for now we have to drive.
excuses...

Quote:
all of mine by age 4 could get out of a 5 point. the only thing they couldnt get out of was a lap belt that tightens as you wiggle.
You may make all the excuses you want as to why you are the exception to the rule--I'm not sure you will find anyone on here that supports improper use of seat belts, boosters and carseats. Go ahead, be a rebel and don't do what the government tells you to do. Take the chance that you are the 1 in a million that the seat belt, car seat, etc. would actually cause injury.

It's the law. Break it at your--and your child's--own risk. Remember, most accidents happen within a mile of the home.