Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-11-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
Bethannp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Larger than normal placenta?

I was just looking through my med records from my son's birth. Because I had a fever a complete work-up was done on the placenta. Nothing abnormal was found, but it was noted that it was larger than normal for gestational age. What does that mean? Anything? I'm just curious really, my son was and is completely healthy, so there's nothing I'm really concerned about.

Advertisement

Old 08-11-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
Amanda L
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Larger than normal placenta?

I had a really large placenta and they said that might be one of the reasons why I needed to be induced (he was 12 days overdue and showing NO signs of coming out!). Not sure why that would be, though.

Amanda L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:22 PM   #3
Bethannp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's itneresting, I had kind of thought that too. I know a larger placenta can sustain a baby longer in utero than a smaller one.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
Mommieof3monkeys
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I know this thread is old, but was wondering how everything turned out for you ladies? Was the larger than normal placenta caught at your 20 week ultrasound? At my 20 week ultrasound I was told that my placenta is 75% larger than normal. It covers 3 uterine walls instead of one. Makes me so nervous
Amanda wife to Brandon and mama to 4 little ones. L 2005, E, 2008 S, 2010, T 2011, and expecting #5 in December after tubal ligation He's here 12/20/13 So very blessed!
Mommieof3monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Placentomegaly is an enlarged placenta. Usually means nothing. If you smoke, have diabetes, are anemic, or aren't getting enough protein you can get an enlarged placenta.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
apurkeyp
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
Placentomegaly is an enlarged placenta. Usually means nothing. If you smoke, have diabetes, are anemic, or aren't getting enough protein you can get an enlarged placenta.
I don't understand why you would tell her it usually means nothing. It COULD mean nothing but it could also have serious implications. There are several other things that could cause placentomegaly. I would be cautious in downplaying issues in pregnancy that have reason to be further explored by medical professionals.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:19 PM   #7
ds1997
Registered Users
Formerly: lilac0422
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by apurkeyp View Post
I would be cautious in downplaying issues in pregnancy that have reason to be further explored by medical professionals.
I don't see where the OP stated that it was not being explored further. I think you assumed that. I also don't see where PP is downplaying anything. She is simply offering support. I think you read way too much into things and possibly further freaking out the OP. Really not necessary. If PP said "Oh, it's nothing. If your doctor is doing any further checking, he/she is wasting their time." Well, that would be alarming.
ds1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:24 PM   #8
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by apurkeyp View Post
I don't understand why you would tell her it usually means nothing. It COULD mean nothing but it could also have serious implications. There are several other things that could cause placentomegaly. I would be cautious in downplaying issues in pregnancy that have reason to be further explored by medical professionals.
I wasn't downplaying anything, I would never do that concerning pregnancy/labor/birth, etc. This thread is fairly old (2 years), I'm sure she already has her answer to her enlarged placenta.

In all my placental pathology books it says that an enlarged placenta is *usually* nothing, not always, but usually. The chances of it having a serious implication is slim. Stating the facts doesn't mean I was downplaying it. It is like when someone talks about a VBAC. People will say that there is a chance of uterine rupture, but it is a slim chance. Again, not downplaying it, just stating the facts. I apologize if it seemed I was doing something else.

Last edited by JennTheMomma; 03-30-2011 at 08:26 PM.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote