Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-30-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
rachieroni
Registered Users
seller

Breastfeeding doll

Anyone seen this?

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Parenting/story?id=8271555&page=1

Insane how people react.

*Gasp!* How dare they promote girls to learn how human babies are designed to eat! That's obviously nothing like real life or anything like giving a doll a bottle! We should just take away all dolls from children, it will definitely encourage them to have babies! (because imitating the action of breastfeeding on a trainer bra is EXACTLY like breastfeeding and will make little girls want to go out and have babies) Ridiculous.

I totally posted my counter rant on a blog about it and they removed comments. Interesting when people were bashing it they still had comments up....

I would totally get one for my little girl (if I had one and the doll wasn't $100+)

Advertisement

"Sometimes, the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."-Winnie the Pooh

Last edited by rachieroni; 03-30-2011 at 03:21 PM.
rachieroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
*Amy*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Breastfeeding doll

I saw it earlier. I think it's odd. A lot of little girls pretend to breastfeed anyway if they see it being done around them, not sure why they need an expensive doll to do it.
& Baby # 3 EDD 8/30/13
*Amy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
*~*FluffyBuns*~*
waiting on response to trade issue. Do not B/T with
seller

My Mood:

i agree i dont think little girls need a "breastfeeding doll" they do it on just any ole doll and its adorable.
*~*FluffyBuns*~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:42 PM   #4
rachieroni
Registered Users
seller

That is why I totally wouldn't buy it. I guess I'm just more annoyed about the people reacting negatively to it.
"Sometimes, the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."-Winnie the Pooh
Old 03-30-2011, 08:29 PM   #5
Trixie
Registered Users
seller

A writers' board I frequent had this posted a while back. Some shmuck poster had insinuated it was a trick to train little girls be trampy in the future. I made a complete *** of myself by blowing up at this guy and went on a breast milk fueled rampage. I felt terribly about it, considering this guy's only crime was simple ignorance.

Also, yeah. That doll is creepy and weird.
Trixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:08 AM   #6
rachieroni
Registered Users
seller

In not commenting on the creepiness or the cost, I guess I was more over commenting on how people reacted to it (as you mamas pointed out, most little girls will imitate bfing without an expensive doll) and I was just excited to see someone advocating bfing to teaching children in the public eye.

I posted this on my fb with a note expressing how ridiculous it was that people were so "offended" by it (I'm sure they would be if they saw a little girl doing it without the expensive doll) and how stupid their "its going to promote teen pregnancy" argument was.

So then my dh's uncle replies with this:

..for the record, I am not offended natural is fine with me..!! playboy.com

How the he** am I supposed to respond to that. Its freakin exactly my point, that people sexualize breastfeeding!! Ughhhhhhhh!

I'm tempted to just delete the link. If I unfriend him, I'm sure that it will get around to my mil and start some whole family issue. (the guy only has 15 friends on fb by choice)
Old 04-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
Kaylie
Registered Users
seller

i dont think it is creepy or weird, i think its a cool way to promote breastfeeding. however, it IS cuter when little girls do it on their own to their own dolls
Kaylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:17 PM   #8
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

I like that it makes nursing noises. Give the little girls the idea of how it works (sucking). I posted this on my Fb and my BFing sister said she thought it was weird. Mind you I have to convince her constantly to keep BFing or she would have stopped a long time ago. It drives me nuts that anyone finds the idea of BFing sexual or weird. People need to get over it and accept it is natural.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:06 PM   #9
sandy_dandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am nursing a 19 mo DS, and I think the doll is a little odd. Can't kids just pretend with a regular doll? What about imagination?

I appreciate the desire to promote BFing, but I don't think an expensive doll is a great way to educate. Educating women and normalizing public nursing are more useful than a doll.

Hi! I'm Sandy, Rob's wife (7/06) & mommy to Eddie (9/09) and Katelyn (9/12).
Let me convert your bras to nursing bras! WAHM store open now! IHA/ISO
Independent Scentsy Family Consultant - love owning my own business!
sandy_dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:08 PM   #10
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Wow, this is like the fourth thread about this doll I've seen on here today! Anyways, a lot of mamas keep commenting on any doll being a breastfeeding doll, but the point here is that someone actually THOUGHT to make a doll to promote breastfeeding. Maybe if kids are exposed to this doll, that would at least plant a seed of thought about breastfeeding, kwim? It does promote breastfeeding, even if it is a little odd.