Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-30-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
Doula Amanda
Registered Users
seller

EBF'ing and have PPD/Anxiety... HELP!

I have a friend who has been diagnosed with PPD and Anxiety but her dr will not medicate her because she is still EBF'ing. Im also EBF'ing and have the same diagnosis but my ob put me on Lexapro. She is just so lost. Is there any of you out there that have been through this? What did you do?

Advertisement

Doula Amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:36 PM   #2
triplet-momma
Registered Users
seller

Re: EBF'ing and have PPD/Anxiety... HELP!

Find another doctor; there are numerous meds that are safe and compatible with BFing. Just don't let her feel like she has to choose between breastfeeding and seeking treatment for the PPD
Old 03-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #3
HeidiMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Please, please have her see another physician. I suffered with ppd and anxiety after the birth of my twins and was able to take meds (Prozac) and continue to breastfeed. I think most of those meds are an L2 in Hale's. She could also benefit from an anti-anxiety med (Ativan or Xanax) on a short-term basis. I am so, so sorry she is going through this.....it's so hard. Please let me know if I can help in any way...seriously.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
doubleddog
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yeah i'd say time to find a new dr. Too. My cousin ebf'd while on meds for ppd. There is no reason not to be able to find someyhing that will work.
Babywearing, CDing SAHM. I love my DH and my 3 sweet girls, looking forward to meeting team green baby #4 April 2013.
doubleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:27 AM   #5
mama0609
Banned
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleddog
Yeah i'd say time to find a new dr. Too. My cousin ebf'd while on meds for ppd. There is no reason not to be able to find someyhing that will work.
I take lexapro and ebf. She needs to find a new doc!
mama0609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:56 AM   #6
momto4plus4
Registered Users
seller

Ditto-find another dr asap. I'm on Lexapro and Wellbutrin and have been EBF'ing. I also was on the Lexapro through 2 pregnancies with no problems. I have friends who've been on other meds as well. That dr is very wrong. I had bad ppd with my 1st baby and both my ob and primary blew me off and I went undiagnosed. Your friend may need a lot of encouragement to seek out another dr. (((hugs))) ppd is hard enough without being misguided in treatment.

FSOT:

Non-smoking, pet-friendly home!
momto4plus4 is offline   Reply With Quote