Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-30-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
glupton
Registered Users
seller

Advocates of raw milk: would you drink this?

**sorry this is so long! thanks for reading!!**

After reading so much about raw milk, I've decided I really want to try it. I live in a state where it is illegal for farmers to sell raw milk for human consumption, but they can sell raw milk intended for pet/animal consumption. I live in a city, so it's been hard for me to find a place that sells it this way that isn't over an hour away.

So, I finally found one this week that is close to me, but I want to make sure this milk is safe for us to drink. The farmer I've been in contact with has answered all my questions very thoroughly but has also said point blank if I say the milk is for human consumption, he will not sell to me, so I cannot really ask him if it is safe for me to drink...although by google searching I did find that he had posted on a dairy forum asking some questions about cheese making from raw milk, so it is my assumption that he uses it with his family. What do you think? What would you do?

**See Post #2 for what I know about the farm, farmer, cows, milk, etc.**

Advertisement

Last edited by glupton; 03-30-2011 at 10:02 PM.
glupton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:01 PM   #2
glupton
Registered Users
seller

Re: Advocates of raw milk: would you drink this?

Here is what I've learned about the cows, milk, and farm practices from the farmer via email (copied and pasted bits and pieces):
*very high quality cow's milk for Pet/Animal food
*comes from our small herd of Jersey/Brown Swiss cows that are fed on grass pasture 24/7/365 days/year.
*We use organic practices (not certified organic) in the management of our pasture and the health of the animals.
*The milk will be registered with the State of North Carolina as "animal feed" (not food grade) and will be labeled "Not for Human Consumption".
* We work hard to maintain the standards that the USDA has for all animal food: sanitary, pure, and wholesome
*Regarding vaccinations, I would need to check their records again, but as I recall they had the standard on time calf vaccinations and nothing since then. When I bought them from a well respected grass-based airy in SW Virginia , they were issued a veterinarian certification of being healthy and brucellosis / tuberculosis free.
*As you may know, animal health like human health is largely dependent on diet, living conditions, etc. In this regard our animals are very healthy
*If you are not familiar with fresh cow's milk from Jersey/Brown Swiss cows, you will be pleasantly surprised at the nutrition it will provide your pets/animals. All milk that comes from the supermarket is "standardized". This means that as the milk is processed at the factory, the milk's fat and solids/protein (the best parts) are removed to make the milk have the lowest possible fat/protein allowed by law (the factory uses the removed fat and solids to make other products). Our milk is different. It comes straight from the cow. The milk usually has about 30% cream (rich) and protein/solids are high. This is the same kind of milk that is used in fancy French cheeses that sell for a lot of money. Our cows are eating grass every day, all year long. The more grass cows eat, we believe the better the milk. Your animals should do very well on this milk.
*Our milk is sold in 1/2 gal glass jars
* We sterilize all returned jars before reuse
* TB in animals at this point in time has been eliminated in NC, VA, etc. so I would not worry too much about it
* It is illegal to sell raw milk for human consumption in NC, so I will not sell milk to anyone who tells me they are purchasing it to drink, nor advise (or take responsibility for) a human to consume a product produced for animal consumption. In North Carolina (and probably all other states), the sanitary standards for animal food and human food are different (you can research these differences if you want). This does not mean that animal food is unsanitary. Per my earlier email, we work hard to maintain the standards that the USDA has for all animal food: sanitary, pure, and wholesome—we don’t want any animal to get sick. Specific to our operation:

- We wash cow udders and teats with sanitizing solution before milking and dry with clean towels
- Human hands are washed carefully before milking
- All milking equipment is washed/sanitized after each use
- Immediately after milking, the milk is strained, poured in sanitized gallon jars, and cooled in ice water.
- We visually check each animal for signs of mastitis at each milking and will test periodically for mastitis using the “California Mastitis Test”
- We will not knowingly sell “questionable” milk--it will either be fed to our other animals or used as fertilizer.
* Please keep in mind that there are risks with all “manufactured” food products (animal or human), particularly dairy, even with “good” sanitary practices.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:33 AM   #3
photocat
Registered Users

To me, it seems like he is trying to say it's as safe as it can be, without giving any hint that he's saying it's safe for humans to drink. I'm assuming he'd get into large amounts of trouble if he was seen to be saying it's ok to drink.

Those are all things I'd want to hear/see written about the farm/farmer I was planning on getting my raw milk from. Here in Australia it's a similar situation, it's illegal to sell raw milk for human consumption, what I buy is labelled 'pet milk'. The farmer himself sells it at the market, tells me he drinks it himself and I was able to talk to other people coming to buy from him. The fact that a bunch of people were filling their coolers with bottles of it and were raving about it was enough to convince me. Can you somehow find someone else who buys from him?

photocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:38 AM   #4
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DH is a scientist that didn't want me to go the raw milk way, but after I said to him that I am going to get some for me and DS to drink, he reluctantly agreed and has been reading all that he can find both in medical journals and in other sources since (about a month reading when he has a few minutes here or there). We get our milk from PA from a large farmer that has several drop points all over SE PA. There are several people that drink it and rave about it online so it wasn't an issue for us but still DH had his concerns.

Having said that, this is what he has learned. That most of the contamination for all milk (raw or otherwise) occurs during the processing and not during the production. From the sounds of it, it sounds like your farmer is doing everything possible to limit the processing so you should be good.

If I were you I would google the name of the farm and see if any blogs or anything show up. I know I was shocked when I saw how much came up for our farm. You could also contact a local chapter of Weston A Price foundation (many chapters have yahoo groups) and see if they know anything about this farmer. The farmer himself is just trying to protect himself. I really can't blame him. I was reading on www.realmilk.com that in Oregon (Oregon of all places) there was an ag official that decided he wanted to wipe out raw milk from the state singlehandedly and canceled a bunch of insurance policies over the information that he found on that website. No reason for it was said other then these farmers sold a legal product in that state. So I am not surprised that your farmer is so guarded.

Good luck and welcome to drinking raw milk. I was personally raised on it till about age 7. I loved milk my whole life I think because of it and always scoffed when my mom would get skim milk after age 7. Now that I have started getting raw milk again, I am remembering why I love milk again.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:03 AM   #5
ashmomof4
Registered Users
seller

It sounds like he is just trying to protect himself legally. Perhaps your fears would be calmed if you asked him if he himself (or his family) drank the milk (making no reference to yourself wanting to do so).

Out of the two people I know of who milk their cows, one makes no bones about selling it as "Pet/Animal Milk"-every gallon is labeled with a sticker saying as much- but openly will talk about consuming it themselves... the other makes you purchase a cow share (because it is legal to drink your own cow's milk, just not to sell it).
ashmomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:40 AM   #6
glupton
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the replies. I got the feeling he was saying it was okay without coming out and saying it, too, but since I've never had raw milk, I am a little nervous. From what I understand, he is just starting to sell surplus milk, so I don't know that he's had any previous customers. And the way the pickup is going to work is prepaid, self-serve (i.e. I go to his farm and pick up my milk I've already paid for from a certain location).

Overall the consensus seems to be saying, go for it, right? I was thinking I'd get some to try and just let DH and I drink it for awhile first. Then if it seems to be going well, eventually give it to DS and DD, too...
Old 03-31-2011, 08:55 AM   #7
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Do you want me to take a photo of what my raw milk looks like (consistency and such)? Would that help you? It doesn't look like "normal" pasteurized homogenized milk.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:08 AM   #8
ashmomof4
Registered Users
seller

^ what she said! It is more rich, the cream rises to the top (you can make your own butter, shake it back in if you want fatty milk, or skim it off to cook with).

I think it is a decision you have to make yourself, but I will say that if it were me, it seems that the farmer is being very conscientious about it and I would feel secure in his farming methods and skills.

Last edited by ashmomof4; 03-31-2011 at 02:32 PM.
ashmomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:43 AM   #9
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

I live in Tennessee, and we don't drink raw milk - but there was an article in our local paper not too long ago about it. There was a farm that is not allowed to sell it, but you are allowed to drink it if you "own" the cow yourself. So this farm would "sell" part of the cow to you. They milked it and fed it and did all that, but since you owned part of the cow, you were allowed to get the milk from it. Sounded like a way around the rules.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:51 AM   #10
glupton
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
Do you want me to take a photo of what my raw milk looks like (consistency and such)? Would that help you? It doesn't look like "normal" pasteurized homogenized milk.
Yes, that'd be very helpful actually