Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-31-2011, 12:44 PM   #11
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Advocates of raw milk: would you drink this?

Okay here you go. Let me know if you would like me to do more.

The milk that has separated. The blue arrow is where the separation line is.

This milk was shaken up this morning and again as I took it out of the fridge.

This video shows the milk being poured and how it looks in a clear glass.
http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=100_4022.mp4

This photo shows the milk if you were to splash it up on the side of a glass. Notice the top of the glass is just normal.

Hope that helps!

Advertisement

Last edited by 3 ladybugs; 03-31-2011 at 12:46 PM.
3 ladybugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:53 PM   #12
glupton
Registered Users
seller

Oh wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this!

That is a lot of cream...more than I imagined!!! It's making me want some sooooo bad!! hehe Do you know what kind of cows your milk comes from? How long have you been drinking raw? Ever had any issues with it?
Old 03-31-2011, 01:01 PM   #13
clothmomof3
Registered Users
seller

i am very intriged
Old 03-31-2011, 01:16 PM   #14
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

oh yummy. we LOVE our raw cow's milk. the pictures made me crave a glass suddenly we're moving next week far away from our current farmer and i'm so sad to leave them and we'll be having a huge drop in income and living with my parents for awhile (who would NOT support us drinking raw milk. it's our dirty little secret) so it's unlikely we'll have some for quite some time.

luckily, in TX, it's legal to purchase raw milk for human consumption as long as you pick it up directly from the farm. one of the nicest things i've found though, after i started buying milk, is that you get to know your famer personally. we always stay and chat a little bit, they let my son pet the cows if they're in from the field being milked. my son's first and only animal sound that he knows is that a cow says "moo". we even own a dog, but if we ask "what does a dog say?" he still goes "moo!" lol. which totally cracks me up. so i guess all i'm saying is, get it, try it for a bit, get to know your farmer some, and he may be more willing to tell you about his own family's consumption. my guess is, they guzzle it all day long. i know i would if i owned a cow and i know my farmer's entire family drinks all the milk they can.

also, when i first started getting it, i was really concerned about giving it to my ds too. so what i would do is, the minute i got home from getting the milk, i'd pour myself a glass with a little bit of milk from each container and drink it. and then wait until the next day to make sure there were no ill-effects before giving it to ds. after several months of "testing" it on myself first, and not a single issue, i just sort of stopped doing it. and none of us have ever gotten sick off of it and we've been drinking this milk for a year now.
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:44 PM   #15
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:

If you want some good reading, check out "The Untold Story of Milk". It will make you never want to drink anything but raw milk again!!!

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:02 PM   #16
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by glupton View Post
Oh wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this!

That is a lot of cream...more than I imagined!!! It's making me want some sooooo bad!! hehe Do you know what kind of cows your milk comes from? How long have you been drinking raw? Ever had any issues with it?
This is where I get my milk currently, www.yourfamilycow.com

It says they are 100% Jersey cows. Strange since they are in Pennsylvania!

I am not sure exactly who my mom used out in Washington when I was growing up. Doubt she would know either (it was nearly 30 years ago after all) but it was a milk delivery service. We would get it in glass jars and it would be delivered to a metal box that I remember was right under our mailbox that was mounted to our house every week. We never had any issues with it back then and only went to "normal" milk I believe because we moved out of area for that milk. She said she got it because her sister (who lives in the same house even today) got it. So maybe my aunt would have more information about it.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:52 PM   #17
dustileigh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mama, we're in NC and buy "not for human consumption" raw milk to consume. Never had any trouble, best milk ever! I am pretty sure that many farmers that sell it as pet milk know why most of the people buy it and treat it as milk for people in states where it is illegal to buy raw milk for human consumption. You just have to feel out the situation and see if they seem like those kinds of people
http://www.wheresdusti.blogspot.com/
dustileigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:48 PM   #18
walley5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We drink raw milk from our own cow and I can tell you right now that the description that your farmer gave on how they milk and clean and sterilize everything is more than we do, and our milk is very clean. One key is to keep the milk in GLASS jars, do not use plastic containers! Plastic is porous and impossible to thoroughly clean, and that's where you can develop problems with off-tastes and bacteria. We use the same, half-gallon glass canning jars. We have been milking our cows and goats for about 3 years now and love it - before that I did not buy milk, my children just drank water, as the processed stuff in the store is sooo bad for you. We also sold milk in a state that allowed milk sales only for pet consumption, and moved a year ago to a state where milk sales for human consumption is legal as long as it is off the farm. Unfortunately your farmer just has to cover themselves legally.
walley5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:56 AM   #19
glupton
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for all the support, mamas! I'll report back in a couple weeks when hopefully I've gotten to try some!! I can't wait!
Old 04-04-2011, 12:48 PM   #20
hac1224
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We're also in NC and love our raw milk!!! The lady that picks up all of our raw milk for us uses gallon mason jars. She was using gallon-sized pickle jars, but we've all decided that it is much easier to pour and store in the gallon size.

ETA: Thanks to the "system" we have set up, there are a bunch of families in our church that all drink raw milk from the same source now. Friends of the farmer pick up the "pre-ordered" milk twice a week and bring it to church. All of us just have to pick up our jars from the church's commercial-sized fridge after service on Sunday & Wednesday nights. Can't get much more convenient than that since we're there, anyway. I know yesterday, she said they had 14 gallons for different families in the church. Of course, if I want any on other days, the friend of the farmer lives directly across the street from me, so I really have connections.

Last edited by hac1224; 04-04-2011 at 12:54 PM.
hac1224 is offline   Reply With Quote