Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-04-2011, 01:23 PM   #21
glupton
Registered Users
seller

Re: Advocates of raw milk: would you drink this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hac1224 View Post
We're also in NC and love our raw milk!!! The lady that picks up all of our raw milk for us uses gallon mason jars. She was using gallon-sized pickle jars, but we've all decided that it is much easier to pour and store in the gallon size.

ETA: Thanks to the "system" we have set up, there are a bunch of families in our church that all drink raw milk from the same source now. Friends of the farmer pick up the "pre-ordered" milk twice a week and bring it to church. All of us just have to pick up our jars from the church's commercial-sized fridge after service on Sunday & Wednesday nights. Can't get much more convenient than that since we're there, anyway. I know yesterday, she said they had 14 gallons for different families in the church. Of course, if I want any on other days, the friend of the farmer lives directly across the street from me, so I really have connections.
That is awesome...you're so lucky to have such a great system in place!

Glad to know lots of others drink raw milk. Makes me feel a lot better about it and this thread'll be great for getting DH up to speed.

Advertisement

Old 04-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #22
falcon2
Registered Users
seller

I milk 2 saanen dairy goats for family use and just recently started selling some surplus milk to friends as "pet milk." My friends know me and my goats and they know the laws and the reasons for them as sustainable agriculture aware consumers. They have all been to my farm and met my goats and seen where and how I process our milk. I am considering selling more milk if there is a market for "pet milk/animal consumption," and in my studies on this, I would say that I would be trusting of this farmer based on his emails with you. You will want to meet him in person, pay close attention to his cows, how healthy are they, let him show you the records on brucellosis and TB, let him show you his documentation of mastitis testing and perhaps any somatic cell count or mastitis tests he has had done in laboratory. My family and I have been milking and drinking raw milk for 2-3 years now, we know our goats and the health of them, I have had them tested for everything under the sun because I am paranoid! I feel good about anyone drinking my milk as I do, but I don't want to know that is what they are doing if I sell it because that puts liability on me. There are all kinds of things to make you sick these days (spinach, peanut butter, undercooked meat, eggs from unsanitary factory farming and processing)--but when people get sick and they are drinking raw milk, they want to blame the milk, even when testing proves the animal is clean. Handling is the biggest thing in raw milk. If the goat is healthy, any illness comes from improper handling. Which is why many farmers only sell frozen milk. As a milker of family dairy, I can tell you that after my goat is milked, the milk is filtered into sterile jars and stored immediately into the freezer until it is slushy. They I put it in the fridge. I never leave it on the counters to sit to room temp. Who knows what other people are going to do after the milk leaves my house? Which is why I don;t want to hear that you are going to be drinking the milk. Oddly enough, really, if you leave raw milk out at room temp it turns to sour cream rather than go rancid--its only pastuerized milk that goes rancid and stinks. I have made clabbered milk (sour cream) out of raw milk, the raw milk is full of probiotics that outcompete any nasties that may be present. Still, I am uber-careful about the milk because my children drink it and I do not want anyone getting sick. I think if you are looking for straight answers you might want to talk in person with this farmer, he is not going to send out an email that could be used against him later. I say, if he lets you follow him around during milking and processing, you see the health records and feel comfortable, than your pets should be fine drinking the milk :-)
Old 04-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #23
ariannasmommy22
Registered Users
seller

I would drink it...but I also would visit the farm and see the cows and process of milking before drinking it. We drink raw milk from a local small farm. She milks by hand and has very little business, but I know the cows are solely grassfed.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #24
falcon2
Registered Users
seller

Also FYI, goats milk is just as tasty as cows milk. The junk from the store is nasty as buck beard. But healthy goat milk from grass fed dairy goats tasted just like cows milk. There is no yucky goaty flavor. The goat-off-flavor occurs from unhealthy, rough treatment and pastuerization. Which is why goat cheese from the store tastes like goat--it's been bulk tanked, driven all over the states, and heated for pasteurization. Fresh goat milk is better for you than cows milk, more easily digestible, and tastes fresh and delicious. The only downer is you cant really make butter from it because it is naturally homogenized. A major reason for it's digestibility. For pets anyway :-)
Old 04-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #25
angely_06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've been reading about raw milk myself, and I really want to buy some for the family to drink. I've been reading about raw milk, and I agree I don't want to give the kiddos store bought milk anymore. I know i was raised on raw milk till almost 3, when we moved. Apparently here, you can buy raw milk in some stores, but they may not be grass fed. I want raw milk straight from the grass fed cows, I saw some on the rawmilk site from the weston price foundation site. The farms mentioned aren't close by though. I'm glad I can buy it "legally" here though.
angely_06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #26
ashmomof4
Registered Users
seller

I just have to say that Walmart sells the best size of glass container for storing *pet* milk, it holds 1/2 gallon, has a pour spout and seals tightly enough with a plastic lid that you can shake it, for about $4.97.

The milk we buy comes in gallon mason jars, and we immediately pour it into two of those for ease of use. (much better to store it in glass, easier to handle, fits on the door, kid friendly, etc etc etc!)
ashmomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:12 PM   #27
ashmomof4
Registered Users
seller

They look just like this without the handle:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Refrigerat...-of-2/12521809

they have a grippy indention for holding (no bulky handle). I love them!
ashmomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:03 PM   #28
eapoosmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

yes
grew up on raw before pasturized was an issue.

my food cooperative carries raw. my kids drink some I don't do milk anymore period.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:26 PM   #29
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We do all raw milk here as well.

OP (and other NC mama's) are you by chance near the SC state line? It's legal to sell raw milk in SC for human consumption. In Fort Mill, SC (about 10 minutes from the state line near Charlotte, NC) milky way farms drops off milk every wednesday. You preorder by monday and they deliver. I live about an hour away from the drop off location, but thats where we get our milk!
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:35 AM   #30
hezdwoody
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella08 View Post
We do all raw milk here as well.

OP (and other NC mama's) are you by chance near the SC state line? It's legal to sell raw milk in SC for human consumption. In Fort Mill, SC (about 10 minutes from the state line near Charlotte, NC) milky way farms drops off milk every wednesday. You preorder by monday and they deliver. I live about an hour away from the drop off location, but thats where we get our milk!
This is where we get our milk from also. They have several drop off points in Greenville, Spartanburg, Gaffney, and Fort Mill SC. They deliver milk every two weeks. It is a legal SC raw milk dairy and the milk has to pass regular health department tests. If you happen to be close to any of these locations their website is www.scmilkywayfarm.com