Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-31-2011, 08:13 AM   #1
Registered Users
Disappearing period from BF way more lately?

I got my period back the day of DD's 1st birthday (lol) in Jan. Had a normal cycle in Feb and my period is suddenly MIA.
I've taken a test, I'm not pregnant. I also feel very period-ish if that makes sense. Cranky, bloated and a little crampy. I'm a week and a half late now.

Question, does a surge in nursing frequency knock your period back out?

DD has always, and still does, nurse several times a night. She's been getting molars so she's wanting to daytime nurse a little more over the past few weeks.

Another cause could be that (around 7 years ago) I was on Depo (that evil shot) and it messed up my system pretty good. Even after years of being off I'd still skip or be really late just randomly.
Just curious if it could still be caused by more frequent nursing. Any insight would be helpful.

Danica, mom to Oriana 12/00 and Alexandria 1/10
My Sock Monkeys
amazonpixie81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:15 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Disappearing period from BF way more lately?

Yes, it's common to have suppression in ovulation whenever nursing picks up. It's just the way the hormones work.

I am in almost the same boat as you- I had my first period pp at 12 months, but nothing since Jan. I think it's just because she's nursing more; I'm definitely not pregnant.
Sara- mommy to Claire (01/10) and Micah (3/12) and someone new (10/14)
Birth doula and life-long student of Everything! Need a doula in the central VA area? Let's talk!
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

With my first, I got it at 6wks pp even though I was EBF'ing. With my first set of twins, they were 11.5 months. Both times, I was totally regular, every 28 days, like I have always been. I never missed one and was never late/early.

With my younger twins, I got it back on Christmas morning while we were opening presents. Lovely. :eyeroll: My babies were 6 months. I skipped the next month. Had another exactly 8wks after the first. Then, I went like 6wks after that. Finally, after that one, I went my normal 28 days. But, this past one was 2 days late. It's been really frustrating and very annoying for me. I've never experienced this irregularity before and I totally feel for woman who have to deal with it all the time. It's the pits.

So, that to say, yup, it might not be regular even though it returned. It could have something to do with the frequency of nursing, but it could be random too. I hate AF.
Heather SAHM to 6 who are 7 and under, including 2 sets of twins and our last little miracle, a surviving identical twin, born Oct 2012!
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
Registered Users
Formerly: lilybugsmomma
My Mood:

I'm in a similar situation right now except my baby is way younger than yours. I got my first pp af when ds was exactly 2 months old but I haven't had anything since and that was 6 weeks ago. I took a test this morning and it was negative so I guess my hormones are just out of whack still!
Sarah wife to Fred mama to Lily (12/06) Holly (11/08) and Jack (12/10)
Swag with me!
redneckmama is offline   Reply With Quote