Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-31-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
Croch3tingMom3
Registered Users

Well aint this great?

I'm due with #3 on April 11th. Well today I mom to the store to get things we both needed. We got to talking and she said remember your going to have to get formula soon. I looked at her and said no I'm going to nurse. (I nurse DD for 13 months and would have nursed DS if it would have worked that way) She looked at me like I was crazy. She knows I nursed DD and seemed okay with it why would she all the sudden have trouble with it now. I don't want to have to fight with my family again. I had to go to the other room during family things to nurse cause people didn't want to see or didn't understand why I didn't just use a bottle like everyone else. Does anyone have any suggestions to avoid this again?

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum

Advertisement

I'm a mother of three almost four and wife of a former service member. I love spending time with my kids, my friends, my church, and my God. Though things don't always go as planned and I can't always see the end He always gets me through. ~ Nychole
Croch3tingMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
Dean7698
Registered Users
seller

Re: Well aint this great?

Not really mama but remember you have to do what feels right for you and your baby,not what everyone else thinks is right.
Sarah Wife to Patrick,Mama to DD #1 12/14/2001,DD #2 08/04/2003,DD #3 12/28/2008, and DD #4 October 10,2010
Dean7698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
Sweetbabybows
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was very lucky and had a supportive family and extended family. If any of them did have a problem with me nursing they never said anything to or around me. Is it still a problem if you use a cover?
Sweetbabybows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:30 AM   #4
Croch3tingMom3
Registered Users

Yeah I have always covered up, cause I'm not comfortable showing my stuff anyway

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
I'm a mother of three almost four and wife of a former service member. I love spending time with my kids, my friends, my church, and my God. Though things don't always go as planned and I can't always see the end He always gets me through. ~ Nychole
Croch3tingMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:25 AM   #5
Trixie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbabybows View Post
I was very lucky and had a supportive family and extended family.
Same here. My mother and grandmother have problems with bottles and think it's "silly and wasteful" to bottle feed for no legitimate reason.

Croch3tingMom3, if I were you I wouldn't explain, justify or apologize. If someone comments unprompted, do not get emotional. Channel your anger into looking flustered and confused; answer with, "I beg your pardon?" as though he or she has just told you you're purple. Try to think of your family being so weirdly wrong about breastfeeding that they may as well be having a conversation about cartoon characters coming to life.

It will take practice, but refusing to validate them by reacting with emotion will eventually level the playing field. If you continue to act cooly about it and simply change the subject when they poke you for a rise, it will stop and they'll move on.

And remember that you owe no one an explanation.
Trixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:49 AM   #6
dairyfarmermama
Registered Users

My Mood:

It is your choice, they are your kids and they are your boobs. I wouldn't worry about what they think.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:55 AM   #7
bohemianxchaos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My standard response to apparent confusion about bfing instead of formula/bottle feeding is, 'that IS what breasts are intended for '. My MIL is so horridly offended that I won't pump when she comes over so she can feed him. She doesn't want to see me nurse. Pft, don't look then. My milk is made for my baby, and why would I pump and then put it in a bottle and waste all that time and energy, when my breasts are always ready to go?
Another good response: I guess I'm just too lazy to bother with formula
Old 04-01-2011, 12:11 PM   #8
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
Same here. My mother and grandmother have problems with bottles and think it's "silly and wasteful" to bottle feed for no legitimate reason.

Croch3tingMom3, if I were you I wouldn't explain, justify or apologize. If someone comments unprompted, do not get emotional. Channel your anger into looking flustered and confused; answer with, "I beg your pardon?" as though he or she has just told you you're purple. Try to think of your family being so weirdly wrong about breastfeeding that they may as well be having a conversation about cartoon characters coming to life.

It will take practice, but refusing to validate them by reacting with emotion will eventually level the playing field. If you continue to act cooly about it and simply change the subject when they poke you for a rise, it will stop and they'll move on.

And remember that you owe no one an explanation.
I agree. It doesn't even have to be a topic you discuss with them AT ALL. You've been there, done that. Time to move on. If anyone keeps pushing, remind them that the issue is not up for discussion or debate and to mind their own business. You can always remove yourself from the situation and distance yourself from your family if they really can't get over it.

You can't control how anyone else reacts, but you CAN control how you react.

Keep your chin up, and remember that you are giving your child a gift. Anyone who doesn't agree can just bugger off!

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:26 PM   #9
Kaylie
Registered Users
seller

im sorry that you dont have your family to support you! Im sure that doesnt make it easy. Have you ever tried telling them that it offends you when they act like that? Or tell your mom that you don't like when she brings up things like that? Im sorry mama!
Kaylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:26 PM   #10
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

I was the first in my family ( five older siblings all with children) to successfully breast feed (two of my sister tried and gave up within days) and most of them thought I was nuts. Why would I do this? Well it is best for my baby. Lots of people would tell me "well it is just polite to go in another room when you are at someone else's house if it makes them uncomfortable". For strangers and or people I am not close to yes that is ok I guess, but for my family in the house I grew up in NO WAY. The rule was if they wanted to see me and the baby they would have to get over it. I did use a nursing cover and still do, but they just have to get over it. The more you do it and act like it is no big deal the more they will get used to it too. My BFing relationship with my baby took priority over everything else. Needless to say they just accepted it and now it is a non-issue.