Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-31-2011, 11:11 PM   #1
Tippytoe
Registered Users
seller

So I just spent the last 4 hours in L&D

Mamas having "perfect pregnancies" you may want to stop and exit right now . Perhaps run!! I used to be a member of the prefect pregnancy club until this little one. I have been up, down, and all directions with this pregnancy. Beginning with the surprise of finding out I WAS pregnant. Since then I have been riddled with everything that my other two pregnancies were not.

So I go in to L&D because I was throwing up, having really bad back pain, and this terrible pain that wouldn't go away no matter how much water I drank, position I stood, laid, sat, etc. They hook me to the monitors... No contractions. Which is great But the baby's heart rate was ALL OVER THE PLACE. It got up to 196 and then it would drop to 52. Very scary.

Nurse comes in and asks me for the second time, do I have a fever. Again my answer is the same as it was an hour ago...no. She takes my temperature, again, then walks out. I didn't think much of it until they are getting ready to do a shift change, and she's going over everything with the nurse taking over. I hear her say the baby has tachycardia and immediately I spark up.

I had two NST's in the last month and I remember the nurse continually asking me if I have/had a fever. She also mentioned how high the baby's heart rate was. WTH?

So I ask this nurse why she keeps asking me if I have a fever and the correlation with the tachycardia. She explains that if the baby has a fast heart rate like that, it usually means mom has an infection, cold, or some kind of a bug. Then the other nurse chimes in something about the central nervous system in the baby. Cue my panic level rising.

But I have no fever, nor have I been sick, nor was I sick when I had the NST's. So my mind starts going in all directions of worry.

The doctor finally comes in to give me the results of the blood tests and tell me what's going on. Blood tests were fine, but I was low in potassium. The pain I had was most likely from something I ate! Cue the embarrassment that I went to L&D for indigestion!! .

But then he starts talking about the tachycardia. He said that the baby looked good as far as the movement, and he was okay with the heart rate, right now. He said it could mean there is a problem with the central nervous system but we don't know RIGHT NOW. Cue the tears and major panic. *sigh*

I have really been trying to enjoy this pregnancy as much as possible. It is my last baby and I've always loved being pregnant. I just feel like I'm tired of the curveballs being thrown at me, and feeling very sad that now I'm going to worry even more about the health of this little one.

If you got this far, thanks for reading.

Advertisement

Old 03-31-2011, 11:16 PM   #2
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: So I just spent the last 4 hours in L&D

Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:23 PM   #3
juliabell
Registered Users
seller
seller

Lots of mama. I'm glad everything was okay and I'm praying for you that it stays that way! Get rest and eat some bananas (for potassium)
Wife to B. Mama to M (May 2011.) Expecting #2 (July 2014!)
CD, BF, BW, Waldorf, minimalist.
juliabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:05 AM   #4
mama21
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

SS you had a cruddy day. Glad everything seems okay though. Hope things get better for you

Bikram yoga lover and CD addict
mama21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:47 AM   #5
chapmanrl6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Shannon. I am glad you got to go home Mama. I will pray that everthing is ok with your little bean. I am sure that is really scary stuff. Get some rest!
Old 04-01-2011, 04:58 AM   #6
saxychic247
CAUTION! Not responding to issues! File with paypal if waiting on items!

My Mood:

Well, I'm def. not a physician by any means... but if you're low in potassium, doesn't that also mean baby is low in potassium? My grandma was hospitalized when her potassium levels got really out of whack, and her heart rate essentially did what your baby's did--it dropped super low, and she got dizzy and about fainted a few times, and then it'd go back to normal. Here's hoping that if you get some more potassium in your system, the benefits will be transferred to the little one, and all will be better with the both of you. Sending some hugs and good thoughts your way!!
saxychic247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:26 AM   #7
katieupnorth
Registered Users
seller

Location: near the Starbucks, and the Starbucks, and the Starbucks...
My Mood:

Hugs to you! I hope that getting your potassium up will provide a fix for both of you. My MIL has chronically low potassium and has to eat 2-3 bananas a day to avoid taking a supplement.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:55 AM   #8
mich*mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

mama!!!!

I'm sure everything is ok, they are erring on the side of caution, which is a GOOD thing!
Old 04-01-2011, 07:13 AM   #9
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thinking of you!! So glad you and baby are okay for now -- I hope everything turns out all right.

Last edited by justineybean; 04-01-2011 at 07:53 AM.
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:31 AM   #10
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

so sorry mama! sounds like a total rollercoaster. if you're not a big fan of eating bananas like me, i have 5-6 dried apricots every day. high in potassium and fiber so it helps keep me somewhat "regular" which is a good thing during pregnancy!
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote