Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-01-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Labor Support or Labor Smothering...

DH and I took a class about what to expect during labor and delivery (this is our first)... Anyways, all the videos we watched were crazy!!! I just want to know if I am the only one who feels this way but seriously when I am in labor do not bug me. Do not touch me. Do not talk to me. Do not move, blink or breath funny. During the middle of the class I leaned over to DH and said "This is called Labor Smothering. Do not do anything they are telling you."

I know myself during pain (previous heart surgerys) and I get extremely irritated by the littlest thing and will want everyone to leave me alone. Are there any other moms out there like me?! Is this totally weird

Advertisement

CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #2
Tippytoe
Registered Users
seller

I am like that, too. I know my pain tolerances and how I can best deal with it. When I'm in labor DH is the only one with me. He doesn't touch me at all. But that is what I prefer. With my DS he counted very loudly and I was so irritated with him. Lol. But I am comforted by just having him there with me. I just want to get the job done! . Glad to hear I am not the only one like that.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
saxychic247
CAUTION! Not responding to issues! File with paypal if waiting on items!

My Mood:
Re: Labor Support or Labor Smothering...

I'm with you. DH got SUPER offended when I kept telling him to stop touching me when I was in labor with DD... He still brings it up and gets upset about it... I just don't freaking care. I don't love being touched in general, and it's super distracting when you're just trying to focus on not letting your pain get out of control. The last thing I care about is whether I'm going to hurt his feelings by telling him to leave me alone. If he were the one having the baby, I'd understand. If I *want* to be touched/messed with/etc--I will make it known.

I think the L&D nurses do a better job than the hubby did anyway, though...
saxychic247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
mamamegan841
Registered Users
seller

I'm the same way! When I was in labor with DD, I wanted DH by my side at all times, (and he was) but I did not want him touching me. He was so understanding and he would always ask if I wanted him to rub my back but I just wanted to be left alone. I will probably be the same way this time, but I am thinking that I might want him to be more hands-on, especially if I have back labor again.
mamamegan841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
chippybug10
Registered Users

I'm like that during labor too, except if DH leaves my side I'd probably freak out. I could care less about the rest of the people, but he MUST NOT LEAVE I don't necessarily want him to do anything, I just need to know he's there. The nurses weren't terribly rude or trying to interfere, but I'm pretty sure I didn't deal with labor like anything they had seen before. I didn't talk or do much of anything, I was just in my head getting through it mentally.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:15 AM   #6
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

yeah i'm not into smothering, though having someone to rub my back or put pressure somewhere is a Godsend. i told my DH to stay close if I needed him but don't crowd my space. neither of us are touchy-feely so he gets it.
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes, I agree with other mamas that I want DH by my side sort of on standby for what I need. He is not a smothering person so with our first birth, he really just waited for me to tell him what I needed (or what I didn't need) and responded to my requests. He was great. I guess you never really know exactly how you will feel or what you will need, with a first birth or 10th birth! I think it is good to prepare just in case you do want someone to apply pressure or help with relaxation. Good luck to you and your DH during the birth.
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:25 PM   #8
Free Thinker
Registered Users
seller
seller

It all depends on you I want my DH there to hold my hand, put pressure on my back if I need it, and support me durring cx at the very end. I get feeling like I am going to pass out and I want him holding onto me... sounds crazy, I know, but last time when I was getting the epidural the ONLY thing I could think of was "I am going to pass out and land on the floor" I kept telling him "DOn't let me fall, don't let me fall" (I dilated to about a 9 durring the epidural, it was not done for pain relief, but for complications w/ the twins and an internal version).
Old 04-01-2011, 06:37 PM   #9
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

LOL, my DH was soooo PO'ed because my M/W's/nurses were on their cells, or chatting w/eachother, ect. rather than paying attention to me.
I was soo into my own thing I could have cared less! Let me do what I need to! And besides that, I wanted to be left alone...if he would have been born naturally, I wanted to do it in the shower/tub; which they won't "allow" because they can be sued, or whatever. I was going to try and be sneaky about it. Hopefully this time I'll have a vaginal delivery! lol.
I felt pretty blessed, because when we were doing the hospital tour they were saying how you "HAD" to be hooked up to the heart rate monitor, ect ect, and I didn't have to do any of that until after I had been pushing 4 hours, they tried to turn him and he just wasn't budging.
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:31 AM   #10
thaisa47
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think my tolerance swings during labor - as it should. Right before transition, I don't mind being held, rubbed, snuggled, etc - one of my favorite pictures from my labor with DD is when DH and I are snuggled together on a chair. I was waiting for them to finish filling the tub, and I was wrapped in a blanket laboring on his lap while he rubbed my back. 15 minutes later? Hands OFF! But I think that my DH has learned to just watch my cues - and when I enter "la-la Labor Land" to just let it ride. I hardly remember it, anyway, and it's not worth getting upset with me because I want the straw pointing a certain way.