Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-01-2011, 11:21 AM   #1
kangasox
Registered Users
seller

Help - 7.5 mo Breastfeeding Issues

My 7.5 mo has been a champion nurser, at least for the first 6 months. At 6 months, we had the usual distraction, then I had some sudden weight loss, stress, and AF and it ended up in a nursing strike. It was a rough 3 weeks, but we got through it, got my supply back up, and we were good to go. Now it seems to be starting again.

I'm not sure if AF is on the way (very unpredictable) or what. But, she is not 'sucking right' - like, not the way she used to, kind of messing around and very impatient for the letdown, which I normally feel coming, and it seems to be taking a lot longer lately.

She nurses WELL maybe 3 times a day, and two of those are when she's sleeping. Other than that, it's a few sucks then an impatient anger fest. She was nursing about 6 times a day, and now nurses about 3am (well, but sleeping), 8.30 (not good) 12.30 (usually well, but with a lot of effort), 4 (not good), 7ish, hit or miss), 10pm (usually well, but sleeping) When I pump when she's supposed to nurse and doesn't, I don't get much, but that doesn't mean much. Today, she ate at 3am, 6am, and hasn't nursed hardly at all since.

So
  • Is this normal?
  • Should I be worried?
  • Does anyone else's kid act like pre-AF milk (if that's what this is) is poison??

Thanks for any support!

Advertisement

kangasox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
Trixie
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help - 7.5 mo Breastfeeding Issues

I've always had a regular period with no issues throughout nursing, and my babies never reacted at all.

It seems like your daughter may be self-weaning, but at 7.5 months that's pretty early. Try pumping and giving her a bottle to see if it's the breast itself or the milk. If she's still reacting talk to the pediatrician.
Trixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
Kim0218
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://www.llli.org/nb/nbnovdec92p173.html

Here is some good info! Looks like you are doing the right thing in pumping when the baby would normally feed! You could offer the milk from a cup (no lid) or spoon so that she doesn't start to "prefer" the bottle flow. Strikes are normal...my mother inlaw used to tell me "ride the wave, kim, ride the wave...he/she will nurse again!" Oh...she has been a LLL leader for 33 years! Each baby is different...it'

http://www.llli.org/nb/nbsepoct06p196.html

This article says there can be a drop in supply right before your period, and that the composition of the milk could change...interesting!

Good luck...I hope that your baby rides the wave with you!
Kim0218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:19 PM   #4
kurTara
Registered Users

I am a lactation consultant, was formerly employed and now just for friends, etc. Stayed home after second baby. Anyway, I was curious with your topic and would like to help, but I have no idea what AF is?
kurTara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
kangasox
Registered Users
seller

AF = menstruation
kangasox is offline   Reply With Quote