Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-01-2011, 07:07 AM   #1
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
3yo comes into our bed every night

What can/ should I do about it? I just wake up and she's lying between us. I like snuggling, it's fine... but my 1yo still wakes up to nurse early in the morning, and she usually stays in our bed after that point. There's just not enough space, but if I disturb DD1 from her sleep she is up for the day, and it's too early. DD2 won't settle again unless she's in the bed with us. I'm really thinking the only solution is a king size bed! Also, i'm expecting in 7 months... I know that's a long time away but I don't want to get into some kind of difficult habit to break. We co-sleep mostly (after the first wake-up, so from newborn that's practically all night, lol), so I just don't see that I can have all these kids in my bed! Plus the safety issues. Side-carring is not an option, our bedroom is really small.

Advertisement

Last edited by jeebee; 04-01-2011 at 07:28 AM.
jeebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:10 AM   #2
kat1205
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 3yo comes into our bed every night

We just redid our bedtime routine to get our oldest back in her room. I was the child who always woke up and slept in mom's room. She started telling me if I was going to go in there, bring a blanket and pillow and sleep on the floor.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:16 AM   #3
FairyBeautifulMama
Registered Users
Formerly: j***imm
seller

My Mood:

Logen used to get in our bed every morning by 2am. Olive is normally in our bed by that point so its a tight squeeze even in our King size bed. I ended up buying a alarm clock for Lo (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20 ) Its set for an hour before our normal outta bed time. This way if he wants to get into our bed he has to wait for Momo to wake up. This helps to make sure when hes getting into bed that Oliver is finished nursing. It has helped a lot there are still a few nights hes in bed before the clock is awake but I figure every now and then is better then all the time.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:35 AM   #4
dpelephant
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Does she need a night light? My DD did not like waking up in the pitch black, so now she has her "moon light" and this has helped.

I earn extra $ with Swagbucks and Ebates! Join me
dpelephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:52 AM   #5
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Our solution was a bigger bed. We like the snuggles with the kids.

However, we are thinking about switching things up with DS in the next year. Sometime after he turns 3, DH wants to start telling him that he's welcome to sleep on our floor, but not in our bed.

When DD came along, I just made sure she stays between me and the edge of the bed (still do), and make sure that DS stays either between DH and me, or on the other side of DH. DS always slept between me and the edge until he was over a year old, too because DH is a pretty sound sleeper.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:01 AM   #6
TaraR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How about a little cot next to your bed? Ds2 went through a phase of getting in our bed every night for about a year. I couldn't figure it out at first so I would just walk him back to bed and tuck him back in. What I found out was that the dog next door was barking right next to his winder in the middle of the night. We got a bark control device and he slept bettet. My point being maybe something is waking your DD up at night? I also bunked my older two boys in the same room and they love it. Maybe bunking the two together is an option. They may LOVE it until they are older
Old 04-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #7
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraR View Post
How about a little cot next to your bed? Ds2 went through a phase of getting in our bed every night for about a year. I couldn't figure it out at first so I would just walk him back to bed and tuck him back in. What I found out was that the dog next door was barking right next to his winder in the middle of the night. We got a bark control device and he slept bettet. My point being maybe something is waking your DD up at night? I also bunked my older two boys in the same room and they love it. Maybe bunking the two together is an option. They may LOVE it until they are older
They do share a room already! Last night DD1 went to bed so late that we just made a little bed next to ours and she wound up sleeping there all night long. It actually helped. But I am also going to look into the night light.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:49 PM   #8
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My 3 year old started doing that. I finally put a baby gate on her door for a week or so. She stopped doing it as soon as the gate went up.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:56 PM   #9
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The baby gate is a great idea. we have to keep our door locked because we sleep nude and have older kids in the house
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:01 PM   #10
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

We got a king size bed for this very reason! Our DS is 3 and I am expecting in May and he still sleeps with us (and takes up a lot of room). He will sometimes sleep in his own bed and will stay there half the night, then come to our room although I always wake up when he comes in so if I really wanted to I could take him back to his room. He has a double mattress though so I can go lay down with him if I need to.

I like the PP's ideas - the night light and a cot in your room. I think either would be a good solution as at least a step towards her sleeping on her own (at least not in your bed) through the night. Good luck mama!