Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Update from cardio

Turns out I am slightly anemic... that was all they said though. I guess heart u/s, EKG, and all of the other blood work came back normal. Yay!

So the cardiologist recommended starting an iron supplement. Is anyone else taking one? How much are you taking? He said 325 mg 2x a day. That sounds like a lot. I called the OB so they could confirm how much I should take. The cardiologist was well aware that I am pregnant but since that's not really his domain, I will feel better if I talk to nurse/OB/midwife from the OB office first.

Advertisement

justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:51 PM   #2
MamaSarahMay
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Glad everything came back ok with your heart. :-) I bet that's a huge relief!

Did the cardiologist say what they were checking for on the blood work? After a reply from a nurse in my post in the pregnancy forum about not brushing off my symptoms and doing a CBC I'm so paranoid now! :-/ I have an appt Wednesday but I'm wondering if I shouldn't wait that long?
Sarah~ Wife to Scott since 2/5/2005, Mommy to Alexander 9/4/2007 Our little miracle Caleb Joseph 4/18/2011 and our sweet little Angels in Heaven 10/2009 and 7/2010 Cautiously expecting #3 in March 2014!
MamaSarahMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:52 AM   #3
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Re: Update from cardio

The cardio was probably just doing blood work to test for iron levels - since low iron can cause arrhythmia. I have seen a cardio since I was a baby and never had blood work done by them (with the exception of pre heart surgery blood work but that is just a given!).

I know someone who takes iron for pvcs during her pregnancy and it helped her a TON. Almost eliminates them. Sadly all my arrhythmia are not related to that so they have to give me heart medication
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:50 AM   #4
Julesboch
Registered Users

My Mood:

I was on Iron with DD1 and I all I remember is feeling better but constipated
Old 04-04-2011, 10:44 AM   #5
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I take, 325mg once a day, but it's not doing much other than keeping my levels from dropping anymore, and causing constipation. My hemoglobin is staying around 10 these days.

ETA-- My hemoglobin was around 8 when DD#3 was born, and I hadn't been taking any iron supplements.

Last edited by staceyroo77; 04-04-2011 at 10:46 AM.
staceyroo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:06 AM   #6
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the responses. I think I am going to try to get some extra iron rich foods in my diet and a friend recommended Floradix which is an all natural iron supplement that does not cause constipation and is easy to absorb so I may try that before I move on to the ferrous sulfate. The thought of constipation

The blood tests were a CBC and two other cardiac-specific tests that I can't remember the name of but would be able to tell the doctor about cardiac function. He did not just test for iron. I am going to ask the OB to re-check my iron at my next visit.

ETA: When they called, they said they wanted to run a few more blood tests and were sending me a lab slip in the mail so I can just take it to my OB and have them draw the blood (thank goodness - they are much better at drawing blood than the cardiologist office! She stuck me hard!)

Last edited by justineybean; 04-04-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:09 AM   #7
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sarah - If it were me I think I would be okay with waiting until Wednesday. They only sent me to the cardiologist the same day as my OB appointment because they were luckily able to work me in while I was already in town. Otherwise the midwife did not seem like it was something that had to be dealt with that same day. But do what feels right - you know your body.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:20 AM   #8
MamaSarahMay
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by justineybean
Sarah - If it were me I think I would be okay with waiting until Wednesday. They only sent me to the cardiologist the same day as my OB appointment because they were luckily able to work me in while I was already in town. Otherwise the midwife did not seem like it was something that had to be dealt with that same day. But do what feels right - you know your body.
I think I was just freaking out last night after reading what someone wrote in the pregnancy thread.

It's not so bad today and some days are worse than others so I am really thinking it has to do with how he is laying in certain days. I'm still going to ask wednesday though.

I'm so glad everything is okay with yours! :-) I bet that is such a huge relief!
Sarah~ Wife to Scott since 2/5/2005, Mommy to Alexander 9/4/2007 Our little miracle Caleb Joseph 4/18/2011 and our sweet little Angels in Heaven 10/2009 and 7/2010 Cautiously expecting #3 in March 2014!
MamaSarahMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:37 AM   #9
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSarahMay View Post
I think I was just freaking out last night after reading what someone wrote in the pregnancy thread.

It's not so bad today and some days are worse than others so I am really thinking it has to do with how he is laying in certain days. I'm still going to ask wednesday though.

I'm so glad everything is okay with yours! :-) I bet that is such a huge relief!
Thanks! It is a relief. In the long run, I sort of wish my OB office had just re-tested my iron level before worrying me about cardiac issues but it does give me a lot more peace of mind now. Let me know how your appointment goes Wednesday! I agree, there are definitely days/times that I feel more out of breath than others. I think you are right - the baby's position (and size!!) is just making it hard to breath, not to mention all of the extra blood that has to be circulated. I hope your dr. can give you some reassurance!