Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-01-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
hippiemommie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How do you know when it's too much?

I completely understand that babies are going to spit up. But I feel like my LO is spitting up a TON after every feeding. It's been a lot more spit up the past couple of days. And he's squirmy and crying every time. Should I be concerned or is this normal? I was thinking nothing of it, until my grandmother came over yesterday to help me catch a nap and take a shower, etc.. And she kept saying that she felt my "milk is not sufficient" for LO and that maybe my "milk just doesn't agree" with LO.. So now I'm all concerned that he's spitting up too much and it's my fault.

Since then, I started thinking about DS1... And I know they are 2 different people with 2 completely different scenarios- DS1 was FF...

I don't remember DS1 spitting up near this much. Or being in that much pain for that matter. DS1 was FF, so I didn't know if that makes a difference... I would think that the BM would be better.... Or maybe DS1 did spit up just as much and I just don't remember- after all it was 8 years ago.

My grandmother's words just keep echoing in my head and it breaks my heart that it could be my fault... So how do I know if his spit up is too much?

Advertisement

My ISO/IHA!
hippiemommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:02 PM   #2
lmroman
Registered Users
seller

Re: How do you know when it's too much?

I just went to a lactation consultant because my LO would projectile vomit every time she ate. At 2 weeks old she was only 6lb 2 oz. The consultant told me she thought she was getting too much eating from both sides. She told me to try just feeding her one side and at the next feeding her from the other. I tried it and while it is uncomfortable for me my LO has not spit up nearly as much.
lmroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
hippiemommie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

He already only eats from 1 side each time...

That's another thing- how do you know if they are vomitting or just spitting up? The consistency seems like "spit up", but "projectile" is a good word for it, and it's sooo much..

My ISO/IHA!
Old 04-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
mommaagain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Your BM is better! Your GM may be a kind, but odds are she FF and knows nothing about a BF baby. From the squirming and crying it sounds like it could be reflux. Could also be caused by milk in your diet. NEITHER would be improved by formula. Talk to a BF knowledgeable pedi or an LC. If you go off dairy, be sure to give it at least a week or two for any results.

FWIW, all 4 of my kids spit up for at least 9 months. They were happy spitters and all followed their growth curve. Baby in pain isn't normal, falling off the curve isn't normal.

Just read the next post. Projectile isn't normal. I'd go off dairy.

Last edited by mommaagain; 04-01-2011 at 03:06 PM.
mommaagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:07 PM   #5
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

I agree. I would switch to block feeding and only offer one breast. The baby self regulates breastmilk (its lighter than formula) and will often spit up excess. While it is true you can't overfeed a breastfed baby (this does NOT include bottle fed babies) they use this system to get rid of too much. Block feeding is a perfect thing to try!!

My DS#1 was a HUGE spitter. Think, carpets covered in towels and couch covered wityh blanket.. LOL. DS#2, not so much. Every baby is so different.

Its actually pretty rare for a baby to have a "true" intolerance to its mothers milk. After all, the human race would cease to exist many years ago if 1 in 2 moms had a baby that was allergic to her milk. Often times finding what DOES work for the baby, is just the ticket you need. Not in a new milk, but in a new approach. GL mama!
Old 04-01-2011, 03:08 PM   #6
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Do you feed on babies schedule (AKA whenever they want!)? lol.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
hippiemommie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaagain View Post
Your BM is better! Your GM may be a kind, but odds are she FF and knows nothing about a BF baby. From the squirming and crying it sounds like it could be reflux. Could also be caused by milk in your diet. NEITHER would be improved by formula. Talk to a BF knowledgeable pedi or an LC. If you go off dairy, be sure to give it at least a week or two for any results.

FWIW, all 4 of my kids spit up for at least 9 months. They were happy spitters and all followed their growth curve. Baby in pain isn't normal, falling off the curve isn't normal.

Just read the next post. Projectile isn't normal. I'd go off dairy.
I did cut milk out of my diet, but only about 4-5 days ago... Last week, the Dr said he's slightly above the growth chart already. But this excessive spitting up only started a couple days ago.. I had already cut out my milk though because his gas seems so painful for him...

My ISO/IHA!
Old 04-01-2011, 03:11 PM   #8
hippiemommie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
Do you feed on babies schedule (AKA whenever they want!)? lol.
Yes, I'm feeding on baby's cues....

What is block feeding?

My ISO/IHA!
Old 04-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #9
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ok first of all I know this is hard but do NOT beat yourself up over this, if it happens to be the dairy, it wasnt intentional and my guess is it could very well be acid reflux.

Second of all I agree your GM might mean well but she is WRONG WRONG WRONG, get that voice out of your head!

My lo has been throwing/spitting up too, the difference is she isnt in pain, Im amazed how sometimes it comes out of her and she acts like nothing happened!

I believe she has a dairy intollerance and I think that because there are several signs going on, the vomiting/spitting up (which I didnt realize till now could be a sign, I just thought she ate too much), she gets a stuffy nose and Im pretty sure she doesnt have a cold, she gets a lot of eye gunk in her eyes, and the inner part of her hineybutt is pretty red, and her poops have had some greenish tint to them and more liquidy than usual.

I didnt think it was dairy at first because it went away, then I recently ate a lot more dairy than usual, several days in a row and all those signs came roaring back and that was the only thing that had changed in my diet.

So Im back to eating a limited amount of dairy, I think she can handle some dairy but not a lot.
I really like dairy foods too ugh oh well, it's worth it for my wee one of course.

What other signs/symptoms is he having other than the fussyness/throwing up? That could help you narrow it down between being sensitive to certain foods in your diet and something like the reflux.

The pain he's having could be the acid coming up in his throat. Ive also read that babies w/AR can have stuffy/congested noses. They dont like to be on their backs either.

Ive read that a lot of babies often have some form of AR because of their undeveloped digestive systems but to varying degrees and it doesnt always bother them. It often resolves on it's own , but if your baby is in pain then he should probably be taking an AR med.

So Id call your dr and get appt and tell them whats going on.
It will be ok do not give up! You are doing the best you can do and thats all you can do.

ETA
block feeding is what you do when you feed from one breast for a feeding usually for a set amount of time, ie nurse from one breast for the next 2-4 hours to increase the amount of hind milk baby is getting as oppose to a lot of fore milk which has more lactose in it which could upset the babies tummy.

Last edited by wonton; 04-01-2011 at 06:02 PM.
wonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #10
blessedwifenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Did you cut all dairy out of your diet or just milk? JW.

If you replaced the dairy with soy then that could be the problem also. My son is intolerant to both dairy and soy. When I was drinking soy milk (to replace the cow's milk haha) he went from hardly ever spitting up, to spitting up a ton. It kinda stinks for me but I'm SO glad I'm BFing him cause I would hate to give him some yucky hypoallergenic formula, not to mention it's so expensive.

Or your LO could have intolerance to many other foods, such as wheat, nuts, etc. Or as previously mentioned, it could be reflux.

But don't listen to your grandma. Your breastmilk is the best thing for him, and you just need to narrow down what exactly is bothering him.