Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-01-2011, 07:52 PM   #1
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How often do your 2 or 1 yr olds nurse?

How often do your 2 or 1 yr olds nurse and have you had to limit nursing sessions? How did you do it if so? Just curious

Advertisement

Last edited by mel j; 04-01-2011 at 07:56 PM.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
Ainmemphis
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: How often do your 2 or 1 yr olds nurse?

My 17 month old sometimes has multiple nursing sessions a day, it depends. We only nurse at home so if we are out and about all day he may only have one session before bed and maybe one when he first wakes up in the morning(usually he will go right back to sleep and give me another 1-2 hours of rest). If we are home it all depends on his mood, if he's cranky its just easier for me to nurse him than fight him. I am hoping to try to day wean him completely because I feel like it is just a frustrating experience for me. If we only did bedtime and first thing in the morning I wouldn't mind so much.

when it came to limiting nursing sessions I just never offered or gave in to his requests when we were outside of the house (excluding hotels and staying with family).
Old 04-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
amazon_jane21
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
DS weaned at 30 months, but from about 24 months was down to 1-2 times a day. We night weaned at 18 months (I couldn't deal with pregnancy fatigue and waking up 4x a night to nurse), but before that he nursed probably 3-5x during the day and 2-4x at night. Once we night weaned, daytime sessions increased for a couple of weeks. Limiting nursing is totally a personal choice. Some moms limit to nursing at home only or only at certain times (usually nap/bed time), but it depends on you and your LO. I would highly recommend "Mothering Your Nursing Toddler" and "How Weaning Happens". HTH!
amazon_jane21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks!

I actually do already kind of limit my 2.5 yr old and have no problem telling him no if I feel like he is asking too often, when he is fine with doing something else and doesn't cry, but am thinking I need to limit him more... I don't limit my 17 month old but she's not quite as much of a comfort nurser. But if she really wants to nurse she'll cry too if she doesn't get to. They are both used to tandem nursing and I just can't nurse them both at once much any more so my son doesn't like that, though he sort of understands when I tell him I can't nurse them both at once... but not always.

Would love more input from others!
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #5
Doodlebrainette
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

naking.....

My 25 mo old thinks if i sit down, she is supposed to nurse (like right now lol). I do tell her no if I don't want to and it is just because I sat down. She still nurses to sleep, when she wakes, and her nap. Most night, she nurses at least 2 times, but we share a bed, so it varies and I think I don't remember a good bit of it.

Adventures in tandem nursing is another good book. I tandem nursed my first 2 for 2.5 years.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #6
lovermuffin
Registered Users
seller

I am still not understanding the whole tandem nursing or nursing past 18 months. still learning. thank you for the book reccommendations. i will totally be reading them.