Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-01-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
tashamcmomma
Registered Users

Feeding an 18 mo. old

My son is at such a wierd in-between phase with eating. He still eats some babyfood (always my trusty fallback when he wont eat what I offer him). But, I am in such a rut for ideas on what to feed him. It seems like I am stuck with the same few foods. Anyone have suggestions on what to offer?

Advertisement

tashamcmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:02 AM   #2
Trixie
Registered Users
seller

Re: Feeding an 18 mo. old

What few foods are you stuck on?
Trixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
Crow Mountain Crafts
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmm.. my 14 month old eats almost anything you put in front of him, but some favorites are tortillas with cheese and meat, yogurt with his own spoon (messy, but he loves it), raisin toast, peanut butter and celery, steamed veggies, cold pasta salad, oatmeal with fruit, banana pancakes, crepes, enchiladas, and fruit salad.
Crow Mountain Crafts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Here are some things I feed my 17 month old
Whole grain toast with melted cheese, mashed banana, or avacodo
Whole grain pasta in different shapes with marinara sauce or pesto and feta cheese
Steamed veggies (DS especially loves sweet potatoes!)
Veggie stir fry with whole grain rice
Yogurt
Cottage cheese
Cereal/cereal bars
Fig nutons
Sliced fruit
Pinto or black beans with melted chedder cheese
Baked potato with broccoli and cheese
Soups (lentil, vegetable chowder, chicken noodle)
Whole grain tortillas
Applesauce
Oatmeal
Pancakes with maple yogurt

Basically anything we eat that isn't a choking hazard or too spicy we let him eat as well
Old 04-01-2011, 11:31 AM   #5
ho11yb
Registered Users
seller

My 14 month old eats all "regular" food. His favorites are chicken & apple meatballs, terriyaki meatballs, peas & carrots steamed, any veggies sauteed, black beans, sandwiches (cream cheese & jelly, turkey & cheese, pb&j, etc), quesadillas, pasta w/tomato sauce, spinach cheese squares (chopped spinach, breadcrumbs & cheese mixed & spread into a pan & baked), bagels, cereal bars, applesauce, yogurt, cheese, any fruit, but esp bananas. His all-time favorite though is chili, yes, chili. It's spicy, but doesn't seem to bother him. He claps after every bite. I'll mix his with brown rice & toss in some zucchini or other veggies and if i'd let him, he'd eat chili 3 times a day!
ho11yb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:03 PM   #6
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

my 18 month old has eaten what we eat since he was 12 months or so. he just eats the same thing we're eating for breakfast lunch and dinner. the only thing we adjust is if it's really spicy (although he has just started enjoying dipping his tortilla chips in mild salsa, so not for long!) or something that could be a choking hazard (hard candy, nuts, etc). today he's having:

Breakfast:
- oatmeal with honey and raisins, blackberry/green smoothie

Lunch:
- left over cheeseburger from last night (cut up into finger-food sized pieces)
- steamed cauliflower, carrots, and chayote squash

Snacks:
- yogurt with blackberries
- mango cut up into finger-food sized pieces

Dinner:
- broiled tilapia
- mashed potatoes
- some kind of steamed vegetable (i don't know what dh has planned, but ds eats just about any kind of veggie out there)

but that's just today. he eats just about anything, fruit, steamed veggies, cheese cubes, and yogurt usually make up our easy snacks we have laying around. pancakes, oatmeal, and scrambled eggs are our usual breakfast staples around here, and he loves them all. and for dinner, if we're eating it, we cut it up and give him some and he helps himself. no reason to limit it. he's had thai food, indian food, mexican food, american food of all types, etc and he gobbles it all up as long as it's not too spicy.
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #7
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

my 10 month old (10 months today!) eats everything we eat, unless we are eating junk food
he LOVES: rice, quinoa, fresh pineapple, blueberries, avocados, guacamole and hummus (both either with a spoon or on pita chips, etc), brown rice cakes, spaghetti & meatballs, steak, chicken caesar salad, egg salad with pesto, scrambled eggs, granola, peanut butter crunchy granola bars, yogurt, smoothies, applesauce, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes....pretty much everything he has tried he loves

Last edited by bluedaisyma; 04-01-2011 at 01:53 PM.
bluedaisyma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #8
tiffysgot5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

lol in my house you are lucky if you can eat anything without my 17 month old wanting a bite.
tiffysgot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:45 PM   #9
tashamcmomma
Registered Users

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will difinitly broaden my meal planning horinzons (thats another problem all together!) But also, I think I just have a picky eater on my hands. He will eat any kind of fruit, and eggs, most veggies. But meat is another story. Sometimes if I'm lucky he will eat a few bites of chicken, but usually refuses to even let meat touch his lips! To the lady who said her little one loves chili- that is one food DS will eat- of all things. I add cottage cheese to help curb the spiciness. He loves it!
tashamcmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #10
BottomOfMyHearts
Registered Users
Formerly: NewFoundFaith
seller

My Mood:

my 15 m old is a very picky girl like your son!

If it has cheese on it, she will usually eat it but she hates meat and MOST veggies! Its really tough to try to sneak in veggies for her so we've resorted to V-8 juice. She will drink that diluted with water. I figure that it's better than nothing!

New Contest coming Soon!Please visit my Facebook store! <--Click
BottomOfMyHearts is offline   Reply With Quote