Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-01-2011, 11:02 PM   #11
issybissy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Discipline?

dd is 15 months, she didnt eat food at all until a yr, she was allergic to a ton and was nursing fine, and hated purees, so she had no interest, but at a yr she began table food and was ok...then came the infamous tossing on the floor...that was about a month and a half ago...it was cute the first couple times, then i equated it to her being finished n since i didnt remove ehr from her chair, it was a way she kept herself occupied, then i was at moms and i ended up feeling really embarrassed that she kept tossing all the food to the floor, so i really yelled at her, "no!" "no throwing food!" "bad, no throwing!" ...and then a couple days later i noticed she wasnt doing it at all anymore...in fact when even a small noodle fell by accident, she looked down n said uh oh...i was amazed that she had learned so quickly after being told so sternly.

im not that stern often, but when she is in danger (like climbing sofa to play with sink) i get loud with her...so i guess u can say at around 14 months i started. even today, at barnes n noble, she was tossing books on the floor, so i grabbed her and looked at her and sternly told her to pick up...i let her go, and she walked off, so i grabbed her hand again and pointed to the books...i repeated about 2 more times, and then she picked it up...
i thnk they have a "playful" attitude at this age...so choose ur battles i guess.
good luck!

Advertisement

Old 04-01-2011, 11:06 PM   #12
issybissy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ps...at 8 mnoths i didnt discipline at all...i nursed, as mentioned, and so whenever she cried, i nursed...lol she had me wrapped around her finger too! but i did say "danger" a lot when she crawled towards an outlet...thats prob the only thing i did. i would get frustrated at times, but i had to redirect MYSELF and remind myself its just a phase adn wont last and when we were babies we did the same thing, they dont know any better and God hasnt given them better judgement this young.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #13
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

When ds was that age I did let him 'fuss it out'. I never let him cio but I did let him whimper in his high chair or whatever if I was in the middle of something. I have never believed in entertaining babies and or children all the time.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:28 PM   #14
coffeegirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePatootiesMama View Post
I'm NOT talking about or wanting to debate physical discipline. But. At what age did you start practicing discipline with your child? Teaching them no, teaching them how to work through emotions/frustration? I'm asking bc tonight I was trying to eat dinner and my (almost)8mo dd whined whenever I was not paying attn to her. It made me think that whenever she even whimpers I immediately jump to her aid. I can't do this forever and it won't teach her anything good. So I'm just looking for suggestions on when to start discipline and ...redirection if you will? Teaching your child to be independent and work through being upset on their own. How did you do it?I hope this makes sense!
I have an (almost) 8 month old daughter and we've just started a few little things now. For instance, we've introduced "no" into our vocabulary. I can see the wheels in her head turning when she does something and I pull her away and say, firmly, "no". I know she's too young to REALLY get it yet, but it's a start.

I also beleive with a couple of the pp's....while I don't believe it's easy or even commonplace to spoil a child as young as 8 months, I do believe that it can start to happen around this age. I don't think that children, even older babies, need to have 100% of mama's entertainment or hands-on attention at all times. If my daughter got to the point where she was expecting to be entertained at all times and fussed if she wasn't, I'd nip it in the bud ASAP. I don't think that kind of parenting teaches children anything "good". (Just IMO--- take this with an "I'm a first-time mother with only one 8-month old child so far"-sized grain of salt.)

coffeegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:48 PM   #15
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

I pretty much hold my 9 mo and entertain him all day. It's separation anxiety for him, so I know it will pass. He will eventually be independent & want nothing to do with me, lol. As for discipline, so far I have started saying "no, sir" or "no please" when he rolls on the changing table (dangerous & annoying), when he tries to get the dog's bones (trying to establish safe boundaries with the dogs), and if he's in danger. If he tries to reach for something that will burn him or something while in my arms I just say "ouch!! Hot!" and move him away. If he pulls my hair while nursing I say "ouch that hurts mommy, please stop" and hold his hand. I can see him willfully ignore me with some of these. I know it's willfully because he looks back at me first...heehee...reminds me of me. Anyway, I say no, shake my head, and then pick him up and redirect to something else. After 4 or 5 repeats he will usually listen when I say no to a specific thing.....for that day....then we start over the next day :-)

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:09 PM   #16
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The first real no comes when they test their chompers out on me. But they get some sort of discipline from day one. This is not to be confused with punishment. I'm talking about teaching!

I recommend Parenting by the Book by John Rosemond. The first 3 chapters are a drag, but the rest makes sense to me. He talks about discipline as being more than just punishment, how everything we teach our children should be based on our belief in Christ, and how simple it is to parent. He uses hyperbole a lot-especially when talking about what not to do.

7-8 months is when my babies start to "get" no. It's also the age where they want to throw food on the floor and I don't let them. They are welcome to experiment with toys, but food I don't do. It's the age when they fuss at me and I tell them, "Mommy's coming. I'll be there right after I XYZ."