Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
penelope picklebottom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
shampoo??updated with new info

Currently i'm using dr bronners for shampoo, but it makes my hair feel gross. I've tried the Natures gate kind from target and its ok, but not my favorite.I'm also trying to get away from the plastic bottles. Ideally I would like a bar shampoo with a good lather, but there is nowhere local where I can get such a thing. I've looked around on etsy and online but I am overwhelmed by the choices. I need something affordable, and preferably shipped to me in a minimal amount of recycleable packaging. Is this an impossible quest?

Advertisement

Last edited by penelope picklebottom; 05-23-2011 at 04:33 PM.
penelope picklebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #2
MarieSeeking
Registered Users
seller

Have you thought about going 'poo free? Your hair may transition fir awhile but a lot of people end up liking it.
MarieSeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #3
penelope picklebottom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: shampoo??

I've thought about it, but I just don't think it's for me. Besides ( I know this sounds odd) one of my favorite and most relaxing things to do is shampoo my hair. It's like a mini foaming massage that just relaxes me and I love it. I don't think I can get that same feeling from "no poo"
Old 04-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #4
MarieSeeking
Registered Users
seller

Haha probably not...

I'm clueless on the shampoo selection. Most of the ones that don't have the nasties don't feel as nice as the ones with all the bad stuff :-)
MarieSeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:02 PM   #5
TexasMelanie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm not sure what you consider affordable but I LOVE Burt's Bees. They have a couple of shampoo bars and my DH likes them a great deal as well. I've found their products in health food stores, Wal-Mart and of course at their online store. I order from them a couple of times a year and have everything shipping. Can't say enough good things about them!
Calming the Storm
TexasMelanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:57 AM   #6
walley5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use plain baking soda and it works WONDERFULLY - my hair is so much softer and cleaner and STAYS that way for days. Shampoo would strip my hair, it would be dry the first day, then better, then oily. Vinegar and water rinse, usually just on the ends to detangle. I've been doing this for over a year now and can't imagine going back. It's cheap, natural, and my hair looks and feels so much better than ever before!
Old 04-03-2011, 08:27 AM   #7
LoveThyScent
Banned

My Mood:

Did you try using a apple cider vinegar rinse? The reason your hair seems gross is from the high ph in the soap and the vinegar will bring your ph back to normal. Regular shampoo bars will make your hair feel the same way too. If you have hard water forget about them, they just won't work. If you want a bar try a syndet shampoo bar
LoveThyScent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:53 PM   #8
penelope picklebottom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

so for the apple cider vinegar rinse, can I just keep an old shampoo bottle filled in the shower? Do I dilute it with water or what? sorry, i'm clueless. Also, part of the reason i want a bar is to eliminate one more plastic bottle from my house. I know plastic can be recycled, but only a finite number of times. I'm trying to reduce our waste, but my family is not exactly "cooperative". So even with a bar I would need acv? Do bars lather, or is that just all th bad stuff in regular shampoo that makes it foam? I really like my lather, but I can learn to live without it I guess.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #9
penelope picklebottom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMelanie View Post
I'm not sure what you consider affordable but I LOVE Burt's Bees. They have a couple of shampoo bars and my DH likes them a great deal as well. I've found their products in health food stores, Wal-Mart and of course at their online store. I order from them a couple of times a year and have everything shipping. Can't say enough good things about them!
i've tried their liqquid shampoo in the past and didn;t care for it. I've always been a fan of their lip balm, hand salve and rescue ointment though. I am kind of bummed though that they are now owned by clorox and I noticed yesterday they have a new type of lip stuff that is way overpackaged and that got under my skin.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #10
LoveThyScent
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by penelope picklebottom View Post
so for the apple cider vinegar rinse, can I just keep an old shampoo bottle filled in the shower? Do I dilute it with water or what? sorry, i'm clueless. Also, part of the reason i want a bar is to eliminate one more plastic bottle from my house. I know plastic can be recycled, but only a finite number of times. I'm trying to reduce our waste, but my family is not exactly "cooperative". So even with a bar I would need acv? Do bars lather, or is that just all th bad stuff in regular shampoo that makes it foam? I really like my lather, but I can learn to live without it I guess.
Yup, you dilute it with water. I have hair down to my butt so I use 1-2 oz of apple cider vinegar and add the rest as water in a 48oz juice bottle. You can use lemon juice instead also if you can stand the smell of vinegar. I usually mix mine fresh. Yes even with a bar you will need acv unless you get a syndet shampoo bar. If you don't use a acv rinse film attaches to the hair and that is why it gets gummy. Bars do lather very well, but I tried the burts they were awful for lather. Always look for one that has castor in it though, that gives great lather and coconut oil. Not all surfactants are bad unless your allergic. I know I can't use sulfates or it breaks my scalp out like crazy.
LoveThyScent is offline   Reply With Quote