Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:
WWYD? Swim School Issues

My 3.5 year old just started swimming lessons two weeks ago. She has been taking lessons at this swim school during the spring/summer since she was about 10 months old. She loves the water and was so excited to start her big girl lessons. This meant that she got to go into the class without a parent. Previously she had been in mom/tot classes.

Well the first lesson went okay. There was only her and one other girl in the class. The other girl was crying and the teacher kept trying to get her in the water and the girl's grandmother came out to try to get her to participate. By the end the girl was in the water. My DD had a little bit of instruction but most time was spent trying to get the other girl in the pool and to stop crying. My DD mainly played around on her own.

Last Friday was her second lesson. There were four girls in the class this time, including my DD (I think that means the class is full now). All three of the other girls were crying during the entire class. The teacher was in the pool with the 4 kids, the deck person ended up in the pool with the class and even the director pulled her pants up to her knees to try to help out. Then there were the parents/grandparent of the 3 girls out there too, trying to get the girls to stop crying, get in the pool and participate (so 6 adults and 4 kids). During this whole class, my DD was pretty much ignored. She would hop around in the water (shallow pool - like 2 feet deep) and follow the teacher out if he tried to bring a crying girl out into the pool. She pretty much just played around while everyone tried to get the other girls in the pool and to stop crying. I was unable to really see much as my DS was in a mom/tot class at the same time but at the other end of the pool. My mom, MIL and FIL were all watching and told me everything that happened. My MIL even told me that she got worried a few times because nobody seemed to even be keeping an eye on her.

My question is what would you do? I'm pretty upset that 2 out of 12 lessons have been pointless so far. My DD hasn't been taught anything so far. This is not a cheap swim school. We are paying just under $500 for both kids for 12 weeks. It's our one splurge we do for the kids because my parents have a pool and we really want the kids to learn to swim. I did talk to the manager and she said they were very aware of the situation and are going to do something about it, but what happens if the kids still cry next week? I even brought up the fact that in order to be in this class the children have to be comfortable with being in the class without a parent. Her response was that these kids most likely are comfortable being without a parent at preschool, Sunday school, or other activities, but swimming is different and you never know how a child will react. She also said they are just 3, so if one starts crying the others who would have been okay start crying too. I understand that for babies and toddlers, but 3 to 4 year olds? I worked in a preschool for 2.5 years in the 3s class, and that wasn't the case there.

My DH and mom both think that I need to talk to the school and see if I can get credit for those classes for next session. What do you all think? Should I ask for credit for those two classes? Just let it go? Wait until the next class and see how they try to take care of the problem? I'm still going to bring up the fact that my DD seemed to be unsupervised at times as I didn't know that until my MIL told me after I talked to the manager.

Any imput? Or am I just being unreasonable/have my expectations too high?

Advertisement

Old 04-02-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: WWYD? Swim School Issues

It's not the teacher's fault, or the school's fault. But, they should still give you credit for those two classes. You are paying a lot of money, and it's important that your daughter learn to swim... not just play alone in the water. Besides, it's no fun for her.

Honestly... if my three or four year old was crying in the swim class I was paying a LOT of money for... i'd be soooo mad at her. I might not tell her.. but, I'd be mad. An occasional bad day is fine.. but crying through a whole class wouldn't be OK.

I have a daycare girl who goes to an Aqua tots class. She cried randomly one day, (but that was unusual for her) and her mom drug her wet little self out of the water, but made her sit through the class on the side of the pool.

I'd call the school and tell them that this isn't working for you , and see if they have any other ideas so your daughter doesn't get ignored.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #3
chello
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_just_me View Post
My 3.5 year old just started swimming lessons two weeks ago. She has been taking lessons at this swim school during the spring/summer since she was about 10 months old. She loves the water and was so excited to start her big girl lessons. This meant that she got to go into the class without a parent. Previously she had been in mom/tot classes.

Well the first lesson went okay. There was only her and one other girl in the class. The other girl was crying and the teacher kept trying to get her in the water and the girl's grandmother came out to try to get her to participate. By the end the girl was in the water. My DD had a little bit of instruction but most time was spent trying to get the other girl in the pool and to stop crying. My DD mainly played around on her own.

Last Friday was her second lesson. There were four girls in the class this time, including my DD (I think that means the class is full now). All three of the other girls were crying during the entire class. The teacher was in the pool with the 4 kids, the deck person ended up in the pool with the class and even the director pulled her pants up to her knees to try to help out. Then there were the parents/grandparent of the 3 girls out there too, trying to get the girls to stop crying, get in the pool and participate (so 6 adults and 4 kids). During this whole class, my DD was pretty much ignored. She would hop around in the water (shallow pool - like 2 feet deep) and follow the teacher out if he tried to bring a crying girl out into the pool. She pretty much just played around while everyone tried to get the other girls in the pool and to stop crying. I was unable to really see much as my DS was in a mom/tot class at the same time but at the other end of the pool. My mom, MIL and FIL were all watching and told me everything that happened. My MIL even told me that she got worried a few times because nobody seemed to even be keeping an eye on her.

My question is what would you do? I'm pretty upset that 2 out of 12 lessons have been pointless so far. My DD hasn't been taught anything so far. This is not a cheap swim school. We are paying just under $500 for both kids for 12 weeks. It's our one splurge we do for the kids because my parents have a pool and we really want the kids to learn to swim. I did talk to the manager and she said they were very aware of the situation and are going to do something about it, but what happens if the kids still cry next week? I even brought up the fact that in order to be in this class the children have to be comfortable with being in the class without a parent. Her response was that these kids most likely are comfortable being without a parent at preschool, Sunday school, or other activities, but swimming is different and you never know how a child will react. She also said they are just 3, so if one starts crying the others who would have been okay start crying too. I understand that for babies and toddlers, but 3 to 4 year olds? I worked in a preschool for 2.5 years in the 3s class, and that wasn't the case there.

My DH and mom both think that I need to talk to the school and see if I can get credit for those classes for next session. What do you all think? Should I ask for credit for those two classes? Just let it go? Wait until the next class and see how they try to take care of the problem? I'm still going to bring up the fact that my DD seemed to be unsupervised at times as I didn't know that until my MIL told me after I talked to the manager.

Any imput? Or am I just being unreasonable/have my expectations too high?
If a requirement for the class is for the child to be comfortable in the water without a parent, than that means they have to be comfortable going in the water without a parent. And these girls are not. It doesn't matter how well they go to Sunday School or on a playdate. If they aren't comfortable going in the water by themselves, they aren't ready for the class. If it takes 6 adults to get three little girls to go in the water, those three little girls are not ready for the class. Especially if that means the one girl who is fine gets ignored. When I sign up my little kids for swimming lessons, I'm not asked if they are fine without me at preschool. I'm asked if they're fine going in the water without me. That's all that matters. They need to either reassign those other little girls to a younger class, or put your DD in a different class with other kids at the same level she is. Those other girls are not at her level.

Last edited by chello; 04-02-2011 at 09:09 PM.
chello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #4
ambersrose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would be upset and I would say something. I would request my daughter have a private lesson to make up for it or that I receive a refund for the classes that this happens at. For the money you are paying this is not acceptable.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:14 PM   #5
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would absolutely ask for a credit. That is A LOT of money to be getting ZERO instruction!
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:36 PM   #6
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 4 year old would be the one crying that is for sure. He spent 8 weeks at soccer for 3 year olds crying or plain just not participating. The simpliest things such as running around like an airplane he refused to even try. He separates fine from me at daycare but out of his confort zone he was a mess and didn't want to leave my side and when the coach did get him out on the floor he just stood there. But I would definitely ask for a credit...or some private swim lessons to make up for it.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would not continue with that class. None of the other children are functioning at your daughter's level. Is there a class of 4 year olds that she could join? I would want a refund until they offer an appropriate class. She is being totally left out.

My daughter is about to start lessons. The Y has about 4 different levels for the same age group.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #8
Sweetbabybows
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just put my dd in swim lessons....I'm only paying $35 for a 4 week class and I would ask for a credit or something if that happened in her class. Those girls are obviously not ready to be in the water without their parents and it's not fair to your dd. Do they have other classes at a different time with different kids who are ready that you can switch to. And she would need a private lesson to learn what those kids did in thier first two classes.
Sweetbabybows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:53 PM   #9
laur318
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbabybows
I just put my dd in swim lessons....I'm only paying $35 for a 4 week class and I would ask for a credit or something if that happened in her class. Those girls are obviously not ready to be in the water without their parents and it's not fair to your dd. Do they have other classes at a different time with different kids who are ready that you can switch to. And she would need a private lesson to learn what those kids did in thier first two classes.
Agreed!! Good solution offered!!

Lauren, gentle mom to JJ, 23 months. sent from my iPhone which has autocorrect. this is gonna get interesting!
Motherhood is the most important profession in the world.
laur318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:07 PM   #10
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm surprised they wasted all that time on the crying kids. In my dd's lessons if a kid is crying they encourage them but they don't spend the whole class on the kid who is crying and her lessons are not that expensive. I would be very annoyed if the ignored my child for 2 classes in a row and spent the time trying to get kids that are scared into the water. My dd is a very reluctant swimmer and it is going to take a while but you can't waste your class trying to get other kids in the water. Most reluctant kids just need a day or two to watch and they get comfortable. Trying to force it never works. I would complain and ask for a refund or for those classes to not be counted. That is unacceptable.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 04-02-2011 at 10:11 PM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote