Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-24-2007, 03:18 PM   #1
zosiasmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question WDYT? Is circumcision genital mutilation? graphic

I recently read an article about Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) practiced in many countries arond the world, mainly Muslim countries. This article was about an African country. Basically they cut the clitoris, or sometimes the labia and maybe sew up the entire vagina except for a small opening of young girls, as young as 3 years old. Here is a link to a BBC article for more info, warning it is bot for the weak of heart:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/me...tes/241221.stm

So it got me thinking. What is the differnce between this and the common practice of male circumcision? Isn't it essentially the same? I mean aren't they still cutting a piece of the body that was supposed to be there? I was horrified when I began reading about this practice (FGM), to me it is wrong and is basically torture. And I don't understand this (FGM) or circumcision, being part of any religion. If you do believe in God then how can you justify doing this to his creation, especially when we are made in the image of God. Isn't this saying that God messed up and we have to change it?
I am not trying to make enemies here. And I am not trying to offend anyone who has chosen circumcision for their DS. I just thought that this may make a good topic for discussion. Thanks and I look forward to your comments! Danni

Advertisement

Old 03-24-2007, 03:19 PM   #2
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Re: WDYT? Is circumcision genital mutilation? graphic

I never much thought about circumcision because I have 2 girls...until recently. I saw some videos that people posted here and realized exactly WHAT THEY DO during circumcisions. I fully agree that it is genital mutilation and if I were to ever have more sons, they would NOT be circumcised!
Old 03-24-2007, 03:23 PM   #3
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have 3 girls & never gave it any thought until I joined DS last year & started actually reading about it. I then realized that even though my dh was the "penis owner" of the home, it would be OUR child & we should BOTH make an informed decision after reading pros & cons about BOTH sides from a neutral source. We have come to the decision that if we have a boy this time, he will be left intact.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:25 PM   #4
NaturalMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrynio View Post

What is the differnce between this and the common practice of male circumcision? Isn't it essentially the same? I mean aren't they still cutting a piece of the body that was supposed to be there? If you do believe in God then how can you justify doing this to his creation, especially when we are made in the image of God. Isn't this saying that God messed up and we have to change it?
This is exactly why our son is intact. We feel that God gave him foreskin for a reason, and it isn't our place to remove it. If he feels he wants it removed when he gets older, then we will help him find an appropriate doctor, etc. But we aren't going to make that decision for him.

I also tell people that to me cutting off my son's foreskin is the same as cutting off my daughter's pinky finger just because someone told me I should (for whatever reason). The finger is there for a reason and it does have a purpose. End of story for us.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:28 PM   #5
Big Grown-Up Mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As the mom of two intact sons: yeah, it is, but mutilation is a loaded word. Female circ is, in my understanding, a much more severe/disabling thing and the way it is practiced serves to put women at risk and increase their subjugation. Of course any operation carries risk, and horrible complications have been reported with male circ. as well.
I would hope that more parents would choose not to go that route, but I don't feel comfortable equating it with the atrocities being visited on females in other parts of the world. JMHO
Old 03-24-2007, 03:30 PM   #6
MyCrazy8
Registered Users
Formerly: momto6
seller

My Mood:

Yes, it is. Boys should be as protected as girls are in this country from the mutilation.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:31 PM   #7
png_lovebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think this horse has been beaten death already.

I know that I don't appreciate people saying that I've mutilated my son's gential area.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:31 PM   #8
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grown-Up Mommy View Post
As the mom of two intact sons: yeah, it is, but mutilation is a loaded word. Female circ is, in my understanding, a much more severe/disabling thing and the way it is practiced serves to put women at risk and increase their subjugation. Of course any operation carries risk, and horrible complications have been reported with male circ. as well.
I would hope that more parents would choose not to go that route, but I don't feel comfortable equating it with the atrocities being visited on females in other parts of the world. JMHO
I agree totally with this. Although I have three intact sons.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:35 PM   #9
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Also wanted to add this part. Male and female cicumcision may be similar only in the first of these procedures but definitely not the second two:

• The removal of the tip of the clitoris;
  • Total removal of the clitoris and surrounding labia;
  • The removal of the clitoris and labia and the sewing up of the vagina, leaving only a small opening for urine and menstrual blood - a process known as infibulation.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:36 PM   #10
KisaMomma
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by png_lovebirds View Post
I think this horse has been beaten death already.

I know that I don't appreciate people saying that I've mutilated my son's gential area.