Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-24-2007, 04:34 PM   #21
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:
Re: WDYT? Is circumcision genital mutilation? graphic

Seriously? I cant believe these discussions even continue anymore. THERE ARE MOTHERS WHO CIRC ON THIS BOARD -- WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU POST THIS WITH THE WORLD 'MUTILATION' IN THE TITLE? I dont get it. Even if YOU think so (generic you) keep it to yourself. We dont really need to discuss it, I dont think.

Advertisement

Old 03-24-2007, 04:42 PM   #22
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DS is circumcised and I know for a fact those "videos" everyone sees with a screaming baby tied down, etc sure as he** isnt what my DS went through. I held him while he was nursing and the DR put a little ring on him ... thats all! He didnt cry and it definatly wasnt mutilation lleyes2:
Old 03-24-2007, 04:59 PM   #23
tonnabelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrynio View Post
I recently read an article about Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) practiced in many countries arond the world, mainly Muslim countries. This article was about an African country. Basically they cut the clitoris, or sometimes the labia and maybe sew up the entire vagina except for a small opening of young girls, as young as 3 years old. Here is a link to a BBC article for more info, warning it is bot for the weak of heart:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/me...tes/241221.stm

So it got me thinking. What is the differnce between this and the common practice of male circumcision? Isn't it essentially the same? I mean aren't they still cutting a piece of the body that was supposed to be there? I was horrified when I began reading about this practice (FGM), to me it is wrong and is basically torture. And I don't understand this (FGM) or circumcision, being part of any religion. If you do believe in God then how can you justify doing this to his creation, especially when we are made in the image of God. Isn't this saying that God messed up and we have to change it?
I am not trying to make enemies here. And I am not trying to offend anyone who has chosen circumcision for their DS. I just thought that this may make a good topic for discussion. Thanks and I look forward to your comments! Danni

There went that idea.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:16 PM   #24
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by png_lovebirds View Post
I think this horse has been beaten death already.

I know that I don't appreciate people saying that I've mutilated my son's gential area.
Seriously! Come on...hasn't this been discussed enough? Aren't enough feelings hurt on this subject? Give it a freaking rest. We've done polls in the past here and it comes up split...so basically you've just taken a jab at about 1/2 the mama's of sons on here. Nice.

And FTR, I have 3 girls, obviously circ doesn't play into our household. But who really cares what another person legally does with their child's privates. Come on.Believe me, there are plenty of things that others on here do that I don't agree with. But to basically call them abusers or mutilators of their own children is just very very wrong. I am losing respect for a lot of people based on the way they handle this sensitive subject.

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Old 03-24-2007, 05:29 PM   #25
Shawna_L
Banned

These threads are old, tired, and completely pointless.

Everyone should just worry about the penises that reside in their own household and leave everybody else alone.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:42 PM   #26
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yep, 100%. Any genital surgery on unconsenting minors is mutilation. If a grown man or woman wants it done, then hey it's their body to do with as they please. Type 1 FGM (removal of the clitoral hood, and possibly shortening of the clitoris) is the most common form of FGM and it is comparable to male circumcision. If one is mutilation then I can't see how the other isn't. They are performed for all of the same reasons, religious mandates, cultural practices, and a host of false medical claims. Seem pretty similar to me. It's funny because just a few years ago a practice in Seattle wanted to offer sunna circumcision to their imigrant clientel. Sunna circumcision is according to their definition "removal of a small peice of skin no bigger than a kernel above the clitoris". It would have been done in a santiary setting with full anesthesia and would have removed far less skin and nerves than common male circumcision. The practice was refused because any circumcision on a girl under the age of 18 in the US is illegal. Why aren't boys granted the same protection?
Old 03-24-2007, 05:43 PM   #27
ndunn
Registered Users
seller

You know, when it comes down to it for me, I'm just all for equality. I would mourn for a girl that had something taken from her without her consent, just as I would mourn for any little boy that had the same.
When we look at the fundamental rights of humans....not families, but humans, we all should be equal. We all deserve that.
I think what some of us forget to do, and I am guilty of this too, is to put ourselves in the shoes of the child. I look at my husband who had this done to him as a baby, and watch his parents try and appologise for something they cannot give back to him, and it breaks my heart. I think of my own children and what I would say to them if I was in that situation, and I have no words. There would be nothing to say. I would feel so much remorse if my child felt cheated out of a part of his or her own body that I had consented to cut off.

So you can talk about family's rights to their own choices, country's rights to their own traditions, or the like, but to me nothing is more important than the right of my child to grow up as the person that they want to be. And if there is even the slightest chance (which there is) that the person they are going to want to be might include having a foreskin/labia, then I'm going to obviously leave that choice up to them. It's pretty clear in my mind.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:45 PM   #28
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
And FTR, I have 3 girls, obviously circ doesn't play into our household. But who really cares what another person legally does with their child's privates. Come on.Believe me, there are plenty of things that others on here do that I don't agree with. But to basically call them abusers or mutilators of their own children is just very very wrong. I am losing respect for a lot of people based on the way they handle this sensitive subject.
This is the root of the op's question and the problem. Circumcision didn't play a role in your household obviously because you only have girls. Why obviously? Why don't boys deserve the same protection? And your post implies that you believe that they don't. What is wrong with me hoping that one day circumcision obviously won't play a role in any child's life?
Old 03-24-2007, 05:48 PM   #29
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
This is the root of the op's question and the problem. Circumcision didn't play a role in your household obviously because you only have girls. Why obviously? Why don't boys deserve the same protection? And your post implies that you believe that they don't. What is wrong with me hoping that one day circumcision obviously won't play a role in any child's life?
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat???????
Old 03-24-2007, 05:49 PM   #30
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grown-Up Mommy View Post
Female circ is, in my understanding, a much more severe/disabling thing and the way it is practiced serves to put women at risk and increase their subjugation.
ITA with this. As a circ'ing mom I obviously don't see it as "mutilation" but I guess I do see FGM as mutilating. It was done to rob women of the ability to enjoy sex mutually rather than only for the man which is kinda how that society works. IMO you're comparing apples to oranges, it's just not the same.
Closed Thread