Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #1
Registered Users
Formerly: shannbannan
My Mood:
Another C/S question: What is recovery like with older children?

I am 29 weeks pregnant and having some heart issues. I am waiting to find out from my OB if I will need to have a c/s with this baby, like my cardiologist suggested. The threads about c/s's have been tremendously helpful at easing my worries (I have had two natural births and I am scared to death of a cessarian!) however, nobody has really talked about what recovery is like with older children?

I will have a newborn, an almost 3 year old, and a 7 year old who will be on summer vacation from school. My husband also won't be able to take more than 3-5 days off from work, and all of my close family that I would feel comfortable having in my home to help me out for any extended period of time also work full time.

Would I be attempting the impossible?

married to Dan the man (5.24.03) and lovin' my babies, Hayden (5.10.04) Wilder (8.12.08) and Callan (6.24.11)
passthepickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
Re: Another C/S question: What is recovery like with older children?

I just had a c-section 2 weeks ago today and have a 3 year old and 6 year old. It's not impossible, but it certainly isn't easy. My husband was only able to help me out for a few days, too. Every day helps, though. I, also, have noone to come over to help me, so I am on my own. I would suggest having your 7 year old help out as much as possible like getting snacks and so forth for the other sibling. Get as much rest as possible. Take it super easy for as long as you can. With only being 1 person and trying to care for 4 people, someone is going to have to wait in line for the things they need. Just remind them they have to wait their turn. I bought some new books and activity books for my older kids so when I just NEED them to be out of the way for a minute, I can pull one out. Little new toys would work, too. Sometimes, they just need a distraction. If going outside and letting them play is an option, take advantage of it. grab a chair and sit while they burn off some energy. My kids have gone crazy cause playing outside isn't an option and we are stuck inside all day (aside from the older one going to school) The key is keeping them busy, I think. Good luck and hang in there!
Join Citrus Lane for a surprise box every month, cancel any time. First month $15
Join Swagbucks and earn free gift cards!
Check out 10DollarMall where everything is under $10 .. clothes, shoes, handbags, etc!
My Sweet Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Another C/S question: What is recovery like with older children?

No, at those ages the kids don't really need to be picked up any more and that's the hardest thing IMO. I agree with PP about buying the some new things and hide them until everyone's gone and it's jut you and them...they will love the new special things more during those times and it'll give you a break. If it's nice out - let them play outside as much as possible to get that energy out. I agree with PP about them learning to wait for things too - that might be hard. Sleep when they sleep too! Don't beat yourself up about letting them watch TV and stuff so you can's not impossible, but you WILL BE TIRED and SORE.
cowangel is offline   Reply With Quote