Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-24-2007, 05:35 PM   #1
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Cysts on the brain

Can anyone help me with this? i thought I remember a conversation about it before but have no idea who had experience with it. My little brother's girlfriend is pregnant. They have discovered cysts on the baby's brain. I guess initially the suspected downs syndrome but since the cysts are not growing they dont' think that is the case. I'm not sure how that works though. Anyway, its recently come to light to us(not sure how long she's know) but the mom to be also has cysts on her brain. Don't know if it's a pregnancy thing or if they've been there all along. She is bordering on the verger of schizophrenic(from a non dr.'s point of view) and has a lot of emotional/anger issues. We aren't sure if this is hereditary or what. What have cysts on brain proved to do? What are the actual chances of downs syndrome? I wouldn't normally worry too much about that but I do in this situation since the mom to be wanted to abort from the beginning but didn't only because her parent's wouldn't allow her to. She is just barely 18 but is still a JR in high school.Any light that can be shed would be awesome...Thanks

Advertisement

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 05:39 PM   #2
sienna
Registered Users

Re: Cysts on the brain

as i understand it they are common, and not necessarily anything to worry about. two of my girlfriends 3 kids had them. kids are perfect.

S
sienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 05:46 PM   #3
heidisue
seller
seller

My Mood:

If it does cause any probs then it would depend on the location - what area in the brain are they?
heidisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 05:52 PM   #4
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have also heard of "spots" in the brain (or the heart, abdomen, kidneys) that were diagnosed as cysts or tumors only to find after baby is born and given a CATscan or MRI that it wasn't a cyst or tumor and can't really explain what happened to it. I pray for their sake that's the case!
Old 03-24-2007, 06:45 PM   #5
Tammy and Parker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: Cysts on the brain

I could be totally wrong, but I haven't heard of cysts on the brain being a marker for Down syndrome.

I've heard of 'spots' on the kidneys, and bowel but not cysts on the brain.

Parker does have Ds, so I thought I pretty much knew the markers for Ds.

I wonder if there were other things in the ultra sound that they saw that perhaps made them think Ds?

Parker is nothing short of a total joy and delight. I can't imagine life without him. So if the baby does indeed have Ds I hope that the parents will know that the 'little something extra' he or she comes with will enhance their lives for the positive in ways they could never dream.
Tammy and Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:54 PM   #6
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I agree with PP
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:03 PM   #7
mamatoHHH
Registered Users
seller

I think you're talking about choroid plexus cysts. Yes, they can be a marker for DS, but usually only if they're seen in conjunction with other markers. Apparently they are seen in lots of U/Ss but resolve on their own with no ill effects in most cases. Try googling choroid plexus cyst and you'll get lots of information.
mamatoHHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:30 PM   #8
Tammy and Parker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoHHH View Post
I think you're talking about choroid plexus cysts. Yes, they can be a marker for DS, but usually only if they're seen in conjunction with other markers. Apparently they are seen in lots of U/Ss but resolve on their own with no ill effects in most cases. Try googling choroid plexus cyst and you'll get lots of information.
I knew there was a correlation between T18 (Edwards Syndrome) and CPC's but had been told that most doctors don't believe there is on between T21 (Down syndrome) and CPC.

T18 has some pretty distinct markers, clenched hands, cleft lip/palate, CPCs along with those markers can give a better indication of T18.

I've know lots of Mom's who have had markers for Ds such as the spots on the bowel, shortened femurs, two gap etc. who give birth to babies with the typical number of chromosomes.

You've given something to research!

Thanks!
Tammy and Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:33 PM   #9
runningdiva
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't believe chorioid plexus cysts are markers for downs.
They really are nothing to be concerned about. We had one during our ultrasound and the dr. told me he was even hesitant to tell me about it because it freaks parents out and they really aren't a big deal.
They usually go away around the 26th-28th week i believe (ours did)

Please don't stress about this. It sounds scary but the brain isn't fully developed yet...
There is a lot of info here:
http://www.choroidplexuscyst.org/

Mama to Sophia born 6-9-06
runningdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:50 PM   #10
mamatoHHH
Registered Users
seller

Tammy - It looks like you're right. I hit medline to do some research. Apparently, my best friend's OB was confused
mamatoHHH is offline   Reply With Quote