Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #1
saxychic247
CAUTION! Not responding to issues! File with paypal if waiting on items!

My Mood:
Midwife rant...

Warning: I just need to complain for a bit... If you're not feeling like listening to or reading complaining, please select another thread....

I had my 32 week appointment today with a midwife I'd not seen before. The one I was going to see last Friday had an emergency and was unavailable, so I was rescheduled to this woman. I've been having a lot of pain/pressure that I didn't have with my first pregnancy, and so I had some questions. She came in and asked how I was doing, and I told her that I was sore and having pain... her response? "It's probably varicose veins." The end. No more asking/caring/etc. For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure it is *not* varicose veins. She then listened to the heartbeat and said "Ok, I'm done here. I did what I have to do. Unless you wanted something else, you can go." Thankfully she's not one of the MW's who delivers at the hospital I go to... but still. It just rubbed me the wrong way.

I'm sure it's just because I'm hormonal and in pain that I don't enjoy... but I was really *really* annoyed.

Advertisement

saxychic247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
Funnyfarmmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Midwife rant...

Aww im sorry for your experience! I had a similar experience last week. My regular midwife wasn't in and my mucus plug came out and i was only 34 weeks so they wanted me to come in. She was nice but quick and rushy which my normal MW isn't. When she asked me about my plans for pain meds at the hospital i told her how i didn't want an epidural and how i was going to use the jacuzzi, birthing ball etc....her response was "well would you go into a route canal without pain meds?" Just so not supportive.....so believe me i understand your need to vent!!!

BTW...i have those pains too and they are terrible! I feel sore and black and blue..... I attribute it to increasing pressure. Best of luck to you and have a great day!!!!
Old 04-05-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
saxychic247

My Mood:

Thanks for that. I was kind of the opposite as far as pain meds go... This time around, I know I'm going to want an epidural, as I waited almost too long and was miserable with my last labor and delivery... My midwives keep telling me that I "should try to do it naturally"... Don't get me wrong--I admire those who can and *do* but unless she's going to let my kiddo come out of HER vagina... I don't really want to hear her input on the matter...

Ugh. Here's hoping that the last few weeks go by quickly for everyone!
Old 04-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #4
Funnyfarmmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

LOL i totally understand! I did my first 4 with epidurals, but the last 2 i had i wasn't happy with how i felt afterwards. And with my last one i had lingering "pain" and headaches for like 2 months!!! So i am going to **try** my hardest to do it naturally but my MW has told me that i can have some iv drugs if necessary.

When are you due? Im technically due May 6th but i NEVER make it to my due date so any time from here on out is fair game! I hope it goes by fast for you and as pain free as possible!!!
Old 04-05-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Lindsey i went through that when I had DS, because i saw a big practice with MWs and OBs and some of them were just AWFUL! I even left two appointments in tears because of how I was treated. I'm glad it sounds like you won't have to see her again!
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
saxychic247

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtchica View Post
Lindsey i went through that when I had DS, because i saw a big practice with MWs and OBs and some of them were just AWFUL! I even left two appointments in tears because of how I was treated. I'm glad it sounds like you won't have to see her again!
Dare I ask what practice you went to before...? I'd venture a guess that it may be the practice I go to now...
Old 04-05-2011, 02:41 PM   #7
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

not at all! I was with Physicians and Midwives, they have a bunch of offices all over the area.
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:57 PM   #8
jmcdonald
Registered Users
seller

I'm sorry for such a bad experience. I hate when medical practitioners show no compassion for their patients. I wish all of you the best of luck these last few weeks of your pregnancy.
jmcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:30 PM   #9
chippybug10
Registered Users

Those kinds of appointments/caregivers are the worst At least take a little bit of time to make the patient feel like they're not just another number. One of the MW's at the group I used to go to did that to me, she was literally in the room for 30 seconds. All she did was walk in, measure my stomach, listen for the heartbeat, and send me on my way. No asking if I had any questions (which I had a couple), no asking if anything was wrong/different, nothing, just "and you're good to go." Thanks a lot.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #10
saxychic247

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtchica View Post
not at all! I was with Physicians and Midwives, they have a bunch of offices all over the area.
Yep.

Don't get me wrong, I've really liked some of them, and when it comes down to it, I really don't have that strong of an opinion who catches my baby as long as they do it "right"... But there are a couple of MW's who I request to not see anymore as well as at least one doc that I don't see. Luckily, neither midwife I don't care for nor the doc I don't like seeing deliver babies at the hospital, so I guess that's at least good. The MW who delivered DD was *awesome*...

Crossing my fingers that I get her again!