Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
ukenosa
Registered Users
seller

ECing with Newborns

I started "potty training" my two year old and six month old at the same time. The six month old (now 16 month old) is stinky trained and will occasionally pee in the potty too (more in separate post). We are going to have our third child in September and I want to start right away with him/her but after reading all the books can't really imagine this.

I know:
1. I am not a diaper free person. My children must have something to catch misses.
2. I don't want to do potty breaks every fifteen minutes for a newborn. My 16 month old peepees about three times between 7:00 and 9:00 and I can barely keep up with that.

So, does anyone have any advice or tips for me? Thanks

Advertisement

ukenosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:41 AM   #2
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ECing with Newborns

I just held my newborns on a infant potty while I nursed - it worked really well for both my kids.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:48 AM   #3
rhody
Registered Users
seller

If you nurse, they will often pull away and fuss and not want the breast. When that happens, offer the potty.
rhody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
ukenosa
Registered Users
seller

Come on, I know there is more advice, tips, or experience to share out there. How about cueing? How do you cue your little one?
Old 04-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #5
ukenosa
Registered Users
seller

Come on, I know there is more advice, tips, or experience to share out there. How about cuing? How do you cue your little one?
Old 04-25-2011, 06:18 AM   #6
mgl
Registered Users
seller
seller

We started with dd when she was 2 weeks old. I wasn't planning on it, but went to change her and she was dry and clean. I held her over the potty and she went right away. We were pretty relaxed. She would start to fuss a little and squirm when she needed to poo. With pee we were hit and miss. Some days she would hold it, some days she wouldn't. I would just offer when she woke up, before and after feedings, when I went to change her, and if I thought she needed to go. I never did diaper free, and didn't really want to. But, she was in undies by 18 months (although she still doesn't stay dry at night, which doesn't bother me).
Old 04-25-2011, 02:25 PM   #7
ukenosa
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgl View Post
We started with dd when she was 2 weeks old. I wasn't planning on it, but went to change her and she was dry and clean. I held her over the potty and she went right away. We were pretty relaxed. She would start to fuss a little and squirm when she needed to poo. With pee we were hit and miss. Some days she would hold it, some days she wouldn't. I would just offer when she woke up, before and after feedings, when I went to change her, and if I thought she needed to go. I never did diaper free, and didn't really want to. But, she was in undies by 18 months (although she still doesn't stay dry at night, which doesn't bother me).
I like your more laid back approach. That is a pretty big encouragement.

My fear is that I will have no sense of when/what to do with a newborn for pottying. I love the ECing I started with my second child but am really intimidated by the newborn stage. All the positions, and such a little baby... I just don't know if I'll figure it out without driving myself crazy!
Old 04-25-2011, 03:05 PM   #8
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Newborns are a bit easier in my opinion, you can potty them anywhere, it's when they get older and have a fav position that it gets annoying....from 7-9 months my DD would only pee OUTSIDE (I swear any potty inside big, baby bjorn, even the bathtub she would scream)....that's fun at 1 am

You really just have to be okay with having misses and calm about the whole thing. I mean DD1 was a pro, DD2, she's nearly a year and she's only diaperless at home and even then it's hit and miss with her. There will be days you have no diaper laundry and then days when you wonder if the kid will ever pee in the potty and not the dipe
Old 04-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #9
MavericksMama
Registered Users
seller

Just potty the newborn at every diaper change and upon waking. You will be most successful then, which is encouraging, and you will already be changing the baby anyways--so no extra work. And the process will remain familiar to the baby when you decide to really dive into it : )
MavericksMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:19 PM   #10
rachelkristen
Registered Users
seller

Subbing because I'm planning to (at least try) EC with my babe due in July.
rachelkristen is offline   Reply With Quote