Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-08-2011, 12:31 AM   #11
LovetheOcean
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: ECing with Newborns

I started EC with my DS at about 3 or 4 weeks, which would be in March 2010. It was simple and i didn't want to stress - Just hold him over the potty after opening the diaper. (I used a diaper service). He somehow instinctively knew it was the time and place to poop, so the early success was very encouraging. However I never did diaper free. That was too intense for us. But he pooped in the morning, and I offered it often during the day. Often, nothing happened. I wondered if I was just wasting my time. It's definitely a practice for someone with dedication and time!!

Advertisement

LovetheOcean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:13 AM   #12
jessicah
Registered Users
seller

I have used EC for 4 four babies. One started at one month, one at birth, one at 4 months and my newborn is now is one month old and she has been pottying a week or two.

It doesnt matter when you start or how, just relax and do what is practical for your baby and lifestyle.

I usually start by offering the potty upon awaking, when switching breasts during nursing, a few minutes after nursing and then again a little later before the baby goes back to sleep.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #13
ukenosa
Registered Users
seller

I haven't been on here for awhile but am so glad I checked in. All your comments are very helpful! I think it makes sense now!
ukenosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:07 AM   #14
redrach09
Registered Users
seller

This makes me wish I had started at birth! Would trying it part time at 10 weeks work?
redrach09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #15
jessicah
Registered Users
seller

I think ec is worth trying any way that works for you, even part time or at a later date.

My mom had my two older sisters in cd diapers years ago and they were a year apart. She had to handwash diapers in the bathtub... so to get out of that she pottytrained asap. She didnt start when they were newborn, but by time they were 7 months old they were pretty much trained.

She told me that years ago before I ever heard of EC and I thought she was crazy. I thought she probably didnt remember correctly. But when I heard of EC and started to try it with my 5th child. She said " Well... dont you remember me telling you I potty trained your sisters by 7months?.."

Currently, my 8th is 5 weeks old and I dont bring her to the potty ALL the time. I bring her as often as I can without driving myself crazy.

Last edited by jessicah; 06-10-2011 at 01:31 PM.
jessicah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #16
karlitacat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I read a good article about early potty training. I never started at the newborn stage, so good luck! I plan to do it next time around, if we have another.
Preggers with baby #4!

Follow me & my crazy thoughts on Wordpress
karlitacat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:00 PM   #17
karlitacat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrach09 View Post
This makes me wish I had started at birth! Would trying it part time at 10 weeks work?
It's never too late to start! Any amount you do is helpful, but of course consistency is key. I began at 6months, and at 18 months my little guy has been getting all his poops in the potty. I have him in big boy pants during the day, though he still has accidents.
Preggers with baby #4!

Follow me & my crazy thoughts on Wordpress
karlitacat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #18
lak1
Registered Users
seller

Ukenosa, Yes, ECing an infant is a ton of work. At 3 months, my boy peed at least 4 times after eating within the space of 45 min! But now that he's coming on 4 months, it's slowed down a bit and I know as he gets older, he'll pee less and less often. Still, I am stressed when we go out bc I keep thinking he wants to pee, but I can't take him to the toilet. Honestly it probably stops me from going out as often as other parents (but the good thing is that I think he senses that it is different when we are out and I also put him in absorbent AIO diapers so he can stay in them longer without being super wet). And EC is one of the main reasons we hired a nanny instead of sending our baby to daycare. I don't think it is reasonable to ask a daycare to pee the baby so often. You really do need to be on your toes to do it. Don't get me wrong, I am so glad to be ECing and think it has been a wonderful and amazing experience for me and the baby, but I just don't think it's fair to underestimate how much more work it is when the baby is young, and I totally understand now why more parents don't do it. Of course, once the baby gets older, it should make things easier since we won't be trying to potty train a willful 2 year old!
lak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:55 AM   #19
bbammu
Registered Users

What do you use to potty a newborn? I've tried to hold her over a sink, didn't work out well. Also, what clothes are best? I was given a ton of onesies as gifts and I always have to put on a diaper cover on baby or else we'll have to change her clothes whenever she eliminates...
bbammu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:52 AM   #20
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a special infant potty that looks kinda like a flower pot and I chopped the bottoms off of all the onesies