Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 08-04-2011, 09:51 PM   #21
Registered Users
Re: ECing with Newborns

So when you are nursing your NB, what is the diaper situation like? Are you nursing them naked? Wrapped loosely in a flat to catch any misses?

Tweedledum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:21 PM   #22
Registered Users
Re: ECing with Newborns

Originally Posted by bbammu View Post
What do you use to potty a newborn? I've tried to hold her over a sink, didn't work out well. Also, what clothes are best? I was given a ton of onesies as gifts and I always have to put on a diaper cover on baby or else we'll have to change her clothes whenever she eliminates...
For this one I bought a potty bowl from the EC Store (also carried by Continuum Family). With Ladybug I used a rectangular garbage can, which worked great except it was a pain to clean I really like the potty bowl, it's not going to be very useful for boys, but for girls it is perfect.

My mother likes using a big mixing bowl from the dollar store.

For diapers I just use pinned or snappied flats under wool covers. Since it's summer I let Little Bug go coverless with a padfolded flat or a prefold held by a prefold belt at home so long as she's awake and lying somewhere. But, when someone is holding her or for going out we always use a full diaper set up. As time goes by the baby actually starts to "hold it" until you take the diaper off so even with pinned flats under a cover I find that I have enough time to take everything off b/f putting her over a potty. So far the Little Bug has been in those kimono t-shirts b/c it is summer, though when going out I put a onesie on her. Ladybug was in onesies from the start and it never interfered with ECing.

Originally Posted by Tweedledum View Post
So when you are nursing your NB, what is the diaper situation like? Are you nursing them naked? Wrapped loosely in a flat to catch any misses?
For the first two weeks or so of "observation" I just held a prefold under them. Then when I thought I could catch their signals I just kept the potty bowl near by. This created a lot of misses with me stuck in the rocking chair unable to go change Because of this, I've tried keeping a prefold near by just in case.

I actually find the NB stage the easiest. I'm spending so much time with the newb anyway, one more little "chore" isn't that big of a deal. But, in the long run it definitely pays off. Given Ladybug's personality, I think she'd still be in diapers at age 3 if we didn't EC from the first weeks.
PPD? Read this.
ltlmrs is offline   Reply With Quote