View Poll Results: Circumcision polls, want one or not??
Yes, People need to talk about this! 38 24.52%
No, This has been beaten to dealth already! 108 69.68%
Other 9 5.81%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-24-2007, 11:35 PM   #11
meghann8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Circumcision polls: Yes or No

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandalynn View Post
Beaten to death with a stick, then drug around behind a horse, pooped on, turned into mulch, grown as flowers then stepped on, as well as a few other topics that seem to cycle as the "hot topic".

Advertisement

meghann8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:43 PM   #12
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momovthree View Post
Would it be more effective for you to just ignore the circ threads if you don't want to discuss it or to start a new thread about it because you don't want to discuss it? Hmmmmmm.......
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:46 PM   #13
momovthree
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by urchin_grey View Post
momovthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 06:38 AM   #14
MyCrazy8
Registered Users
Formerly: momto6
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
Honestly I think it needs to be talked about. How many people don't even know there is an option at all until some one says something? Wether your for or against it you have to admit that having the information available is important. I guess a sticky of informative websites could be posted to cover that need and then you could ban the discussions, but I can't see that happening any time soon.
ITA that some might not know that they can say no if they want. An informative Sticky is a great idea.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:20 AM   #15
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes I think Circ'ing needs to be discussed. If you get tired of it or too upset over the matter, then skip it. There have been many women that would have circ'ed their sons if it hadn't been for threads about circ'ing. Thankfully people are becoming more informed about the subject.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:32 AM   #16
Mamma Christi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
Honestly I think it needs to be talked about. How many people don't even know there is an option at all until some one says something?
EXACTLY what I was coming here to say. When I had my son I knew it was an option but I didn't have any information about it and I had him circ'd and now I completely regret it. If I had been on a forum like this and seen it discussed I would have been much less likely to have it done after reading more about it. I also had to witness him having the rest of his plastibell removed when it didn't fall off in time and seeing him screaming and crying harder than I ever have before was enough for me to decide to never circ if I have another boy - and I think that we should be allowed to educate people on our side of the discussion. Some people are new to DS, new to motherhood (or are pregnant), and some are new to the internet and they have no idea that this is a subject that has been done before and they may really want more information.

But while I do think it should be allowed to be discussed, I also think that it should be more about providing information and not about proving each other wrong. We shouldn't get into "omg it's horrible to circ" but just provide information about why we do or don't consider circumcision a good idea and just leave it at giving out information. And if you're someone who can't go into the thread without turning it into an argument or getting offended, you shouldn't go in the thread. I am very passionate about my beliefs, but I would never think someone was a horrible mom for doing otherwise or for making a decision other than mine. You have no idea why another person made the decision(s) they made (for example, my situation - I bet if I said my son was circ'd with no other added information that people would jump down my throat!) and as much as some hate to admit it : It is their child, their life, and their chid's life and not yours. You don't agree with their decisions that's fine, you want to express your opinion fine...but you never have to be rude about it.
Mom to Jacob 10/25/06, #2 EDD September 18.
Mamma Christi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:43 AM   #17
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndunn View Post
I do think that it should be discussed, but I don't think it should turn into a "quick lets get defensive", as someone else pointed out. We're all adults, we should be able to all express our viewpoints without everyone getting their panties in a knot.
Well said, I have also said this in a previous thread.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:55 AM   #18
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

So, you don't want to talk about it anymore, so you start a thread about it?

I just think it has been talked about TO DEATH and there is a search feature for a reason. If people would use it, they'd find an abundance of circ threads, many of which have a lot of good info. and they can make an informed decision WITHOUT stirring up anything new.
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:56 AM   #19
ferrferr
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndunn View Post
I do think that it should be discussed, but I don't think it should turn into a "quick lets get defensive", as someone else pointed out. We're all adults, we should be able to all express our viewpoints without everyone getting their panties in a knot.
We know that doesn't happen though. Call it passionate or militant, there are many people who believe so strongly that they can't see it both ways and leave it at that. Then again getting defensive and attacking someone for their choice isn't the way to go about making people change their minds.

If you hang around places like DS, MDC or LJ long enough you'll know where to find info on any parenting method that is *not* mainstream (like CDing, BWing, BFing (including extended), co-sleeping, no-vax (or delayed), no-circ). And if someone is curious (like I so frequently get) googling things does wonders.
ferrferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:03 AM   #20
odenata
Registered Users
seller

I think discussion is always great, but I don't know what use a poll is, really, except to pit one side against another. I think a simple (and respectful) "why did you/did you not circ?" thread, where people state why they made their personal choice, is just fine. I think a debate thread that is hurtful to some and turns defensive doesn't end up being helpful in any way.

And really, I just ignore these threads most of the time, as I know my position and feel no need to debate or defend it. Jut like I usually ignore vax/no-vax threads. I'm glad to see information out there, but the self-righteous tone taken by some people just annoys me too much to bother with these threads.

Last edited by odenata; 03-25-2007 at 10:05 AM.
odenata is offline   Reply With Quote