Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
Elijah'sMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question so what carrier should i buy??

a little background:
i am 5'2" and petite. i have a 8 month 19lb ds that is just staring to crawl and i am going to be nannying a 2 month 12lb baby girl. the only carrier i have is a sevensling that i only use to hip carry.

So i am thinking that i'd like a carrier that i can mostly use on my back for ds and front carry for the little girl. i really need to be hands free with it.

i love the idea and simple look of a woven wrap but is that really practical for my situation?? and i dont want to spend a ton of money but i really want something that will work well for both babies and be fairly comfy for me.

i've been lurking here looking for ideas but honestly i am overwhelmed by all the options!
i'd really appreciate any advice!

Advertisement

Elijah'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
celticknot12
Registered Users
seller

Re: so what carrier should i buy??

I'm a big time Beco pusher! You can just pop the kiddo in there and be hands free! I cook dinner with my very chubby 7 months old on my back most every night and love it!
ISO: Beco 4G Denim Doves
celticknot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
KristieW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think the Beco Butterfly 2 would be a GREAT choice for you! It will comfortably fit either of your kiddos and it's really quick to pop kiddos in and out of--just leave it on as you think you'll need it, and you can drop anyone into the front! It also makes back carries SUPER easy, in case you want to put your LO on your back and have your hands free for the littler one.

I started watching a little guy when my DD was 10 months old and he was four months old. My carriers were DEFINITELY my lifesaver, and it's a toss up as to which I used more--my BB2 or my ring sling. The RS was great for getting them both out to the car from the house--I could pop DD into the RS on my hip and then put the little guy over my other shoulder or, more often, carry his bucket. Going into a store, DC baby went into the sling or BB2 and DD went into a cart or, if it was somewhere small, DD went on my back in the BB2 and DC baby went into the sling on my front. But if I could have had only one at that point, it was definitely the BB2.

Other carriers that are good for petite mamas are the O&A (this also has an infant harness, but it's designed quite differently than the BB2's internal harness) and the Angelpack. Ones to stay away from are the Gemini and the Ergo, both of which are often quite bulky on petite users. If you can swing it, you might want to think about picking up an inexpensive but well-constructed ring sling (Sleeping Baby Productions are hands-down my favorite, and you can even find them on FSOT sometimes) AND a BB2, which you can also either find a good deal on from FSOT or put one on layaway at one of many online retailers that offer layaway.

Good luck mama! Having two kiddos all day that are SO close in age has been a challenge for me at times, but it's been fun as they've gotten older and started to play together!
Old 04-10-2011, 04:00 PM   #4
KristieW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, and I realized I forgot to answer yrou question about wovens. As someone who's been there, I don't think a woven is a great choice, and with the rate the littler one is growing, a stretchy like the Moby just won't last for more than a couple of months. I like wovens too and am determined to master them with DD2 due in June, but as far as practicality when you have two such TINY ones, I just never felt like they fit the bill.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
Elijah'sMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks for the advice! a beco seems to be the concensus
KristieW thanks for the insight!! i am pretty nervous about having a newbie to watch in addition to my son, glad to hear it is possible!
heading to paxbaby to check out becos!
Elijah'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:50 PM   #6
nursekatie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I third the Beco!
Old 04-10-2011, 08:38 PM   #7
ajbailey89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The Beco is a great carrier and I also love my Boba (although the little girl would still be too tiny for that)
Old 04-13-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
grazy101
Registered Users

I <3 woven wraps
grazy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:01 PM   #9
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I think you mean a knit wrap: stretchy like the Sleepywrap or Moby. Those are by far the most comfortable option for a newborn through around seven months. The Sleepywrap would be better for you because you don't have to leave room for the baby - just pop in whichever LO - you can even do two at once up to a certain age, my friend used it with twins.

A woven wrap is the most comfortable for babies over 24 lbs or so. They aren't convenient, though, because you have to wrap around the baby each time. Good for long walks.