Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #21
jessd32003
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: The saddest thing happened to my family this weekend.....LONG

I talked to Brooke about 30min ago. He is having seizures now. Not just in his brain, but his whole body. She said the dr.'s told her that 3-4 days after they get admitted, they get worse, then stablize, then get better. I kinda feel like they are giving her false hope. He is basically a vegetable right now with the only movement being from seizures. He can't even eat, he has a feeding tube. He's been unconcious since Sunday morning. Anyone have any stories like this where they have come out of it ok? Any nurses out there have any opinions? I'm not too optimistic myself.

Advertisement

Old 04-06-2011, 02:56 PM   #22
wolffie
Registered Users
seller

Re: The saddest thing happened to my family this weekend.....LONG**Update in post #21

I cannot even imagine. My heart is breaking for all of them. I am praying for baby brady and the rest of your family.
Mama to ds '08, dd '10, due w/#3 5/13! wife to Missing my angels 6/07, 10/07, 3/12
Let's swag! SWAG friends!
wolffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #23
bootiecutie
Registered Users

Re: The saddest thing happened to my family this weekend.....LONG**Update in post #21

All I can say is that doctors tend to give worst-case scenario predictions. they are taught not to give people false hope and to be pessimistic. so if the doctor says there is hope, I wouldn't give up yet.
S, hippy-elitist-turned-semi-redneck mama to DD, 3, expecting #2 10/14/11
bootiecutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:02 PM   #24
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'll be praying for Brody and your entire family!
Old 04-06-2011, 03:03 PM   #25
carlaross
Registered Users
seller

I did a google search and found several positive recovery stories. Although, the prognosis is usually poor for babies with severe shaken baby syndrome.
Still praying for them.
carlaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:03 PM   #26
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm so sorry your family is going through something so terrible . Your post made me cry, and prayers are going up for that poor baby boy. I'm glad Brooke has the support of her family now, and I hope Brody makes it through this.

I hope the "father" gets the harshest punishment there is... which still won't be harsh enough for what he did. you and your family, mama.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:03 PM   #27
blackbirdmama*3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Praying for your family mama. My good friend lost her 2 year old daughter this way. It is unimaginable to me what your family is going through. Please keep us updated if you can.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:06 PM   #28
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: The saddest thing happened to my family this weekend.....LONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessd32003 View Post
I talked to Brooke about 30min ago. He is having seizures now. Not just in his brain, but his whole body. She said the dr.'s told her that 3-4 days after they get admitted, they get worse, then stablize, then get better. I kinda feel like they are giving her false hope. He is basically a vegetable right now with the only movement being from seizures. He can't even eat, he has a feeding tube. He's been unconcious since Sunday morning. Anyone have any stories like this where they have come out of it ok? Any nurses out there have any opinions? I'm not too optimistic myself.
If the doctors say he has a fighting chance, I would believe them. Several of my friends are doctors and nurses, and I know they tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to giving patients' relatives hope.

There is a mom on another site I'm on - her son was shaken by his father at a very young age. She now runs a group raising awareness of SBS, and offering support for those who have experienced it. If you'd like, I can get her contact information for you.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:16 PM   #29
jessd32003
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

mama.timms: That would be wonderful.

Everyone else: We havent given up hope and won't until all hope is taken from us. Just scary to think about both possibilities. If he passes that's a tragedy! If he survies, he may never be "normal". The dr's said he has SIGNIFICANT brain damage. That can't be good! Ughhhh, I just can't believe this is happening!!
Old 04-06-2011, 03:18 PM   #30
spencerrn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As an ER/NICU RN, I feel very pessimistic in this case but I only know a few details. I sometimes think which is worse death or severe brain damage? Given this type of injury IF he survives he will probably be blind, deaf and extremely impaired. My prayers are with his mommy.She needs all the strength she can get to perserver no matter what the outcome.
spencerrn is offline   Reply With Quote