Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #11
hac1224
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Small steps to a green home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebeldream View Post
The links are in my siggy if you're interested, but the outer is 100% cotton woven, the inner is a coated ripstop nylon.

I'm pretty sure my shower curtain is polyester, which is probably not the greenest option, however it's more green than the vinyl or any other disposable type. I've been using the same one for nearly 4 years now and it's holding up great!

Oooo...I guess I'll have to remember your site next time I have a little extra money. Those looks awesome!

I'm sure that hemp or organic cotton are the best choices, but I definitely can't afford hemp right now and probably not organic cotton, either. I'm curious as to whether my local fabric store carries any organic fabric.

Advertisement

Old 04-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #12
greenbabymomma
Registered Users
seller

Even the posh fabric stores in my town carry very few (i.e. one bolt of a hemp denim-like blend) organic or natural fabrics, and I live in a very artsy, eco-conscious community! That being said, I've had great success finding affordable and natural fabrics online.

Have you looked into rain barrels? If you're even slightly handy you can make them out of free/recycled materials.
greenbabymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:45 AM   #13
hac1224
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbabymomma View Post
Even the posh fabric stores in my town carry very few (i.e. one bolt of a hemp denim-like blend) organic or natural fabrics, and I live in a very artsy, eco-conscious community! That being said, I've had great success finding affordable and natural fabrics online.

Have you looked into rain barrels? If you're even slightly handy you can make them out of free/recycled materials.
Thanks!

Is there any way to make/use a rain barrel if I don't have gutters? My grandpa who just passed away a month ago has a rain barrel at his house that no one has claimed. They are going to rent his house out, but I'm wondering if I could claim his barrel first.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #14
WooKid
Registered Users

My Mood:

@hac1224 -- Thanks so much for spurring this conversation. I am loving the encouragement & enthusiasm for green living on this thread! And I'm getting some new ideas of things I'd like to try too! Keep sharing ideas, Ladies--I LOVE IT! :-)
WooKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:01 AM   #15
Jenette
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hac1224

Thanks!

Is there any way to make/use a rain barrel if I don't have gutters? My grandpa who just passed away a month ago has a rain barrel at his house that no one has claimed. They are going to rent his house out, but I'm wondering if I could claim his barrel first.
Yes, depending on your roof structure. If you have any valleys on your roof then you can position the barrel under that. Preferably with a rain chain leading into the barrel. If no valleys ... Is there spots where a large amount of water comes down? Add rain chain with barrel at the bottom.