View Poll Results: Which girl name do you like best?
Rayna (no nickname) 11 47.83%
Andrea (possible nickname "Andi") 2 8.70%
Samantha (possible nickname "Sam") 4 17.39%
Ana (pronounced the same as "Anna") 6 26.09%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-07-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
4BabyUnit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Can't Believe I'm Doing This--Name Opinions?

We have a definite favorite name (with back-ups) if this is a boy, but if this is a girl, we don't have a clear favorite, so I thought I'd see if I could get a lot of opinions here. We would probably use a middle name of Reid (would probably choose a different middle name if we chose Rayna as a first name). Would love to hear your thoughts if you care to chime in. Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 04-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can't Believe I'm Doing This--Name Opinions?

I like Andrea Reid.
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:23 PM   #3
SweetVioletsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I picked Ana, I think it's pretty!
SweetVioletsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:44 PM   #4
Salidwyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

FWIW, my name is Andrea too, but it's pronounced Ondrea. Exactly like Andrea but On in the front. There's also On-DRE-a too. I've heard pretty much all of them! Just thought I'd throw that out there if you were interested in some different pronunciations. I go by Andi (On-dee) for short.

Good luck with your name search!! I know what you mean though. We have a pretty strong idea of what we want for a boy name but none of our girl names are "clicking". Which is funny because in the beginning, the girl names seemed easier and the boy names seemed impossible!
Old 04-07-2011, 10:16 PM   #5
jacquelinemarie82
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Just due date crashing to say that I think Rayna is very pretty.

Imo, Ana is a little plain. Andrea seems slightly out of date (late 80's/early 90's?). I actually do like Samantha but it is too common for me and my dh doesn't like names that can be shortened to a boyish nickname so it was off our list.

I do like all of them but Rayna is just my favorite because it is different without being weird.
jacquelinemarie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:10 AM   #6
4BabyUnit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Andrea...totally agree...girl names seemed so much easier at first. If we did name this baby Andrea, it would be pronounced like the last option you mentioned, but we would call her Andi or Andie (like a boy name). Has it bothered you that people mispronounce your name? I worry about that, but at the same time, I know plenty of people that has happened to with their names, and they certainly don't seem scarred or too bothered by it.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:50 AM   #7
Salidwyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4BabyUnit View Post
Andrea...totally agree...girl names seemed so much easier at first. If we did name this baby Andrea, it would be pronounced like the last option you mentioned, but we would call her Andi or Andie (like a boy name). Has it bothered you that people mispronounce your name? I worry about that, but at the same time, I know plenty of people that has happened to with their names, and they certainly don't seem scarred or too bothered by it.
I worked retail for 7 years and, because my name tag read "Andrea", I've heard all of the pronunciations. It doesn't really bother me at all. I'll call myself Andrea if I'm giving my name to someone and they have to spell it (since a lot of people know how to spell Andrea but not Ondrea or On-dre-a and think it's different).

The only name that's really bothered me was an old neighbor of mine used to call me On-DEEEEE and it kind of drove me nuts but I was 5 at the time The only other potential downside is that On-dee can sometimes be misheard as undy, like underwear. My old boss got a kick out of that, thinking my nickname was Undy when my aunt came in and said it, but I pointed out the difference and didn't make a big deal out of it.