Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Crib bumpers

This is a bit silly and I am embarrassed to ask, but are you using a crib bumper? I don't know if we'll end up using the crib much at all. We have a crib bumper that we used before but DS only took short naps in his crib for the most part, then slept either beside our bed in the pack n play or in between me and DH. I have seen ads for mesh ones that are supposed to be safer/more breathable. Anyone used one of those?

Advertisement

justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
Free Thinker
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Crib bumpers

We won't be using one when we set up the crib (3-4 months old or so, after she outgrows the co-sleeper). I just buy a cute sheet and that's it. You could get a dust ruffle, too if you wanted, but I find those bedding sets a waste of $$.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:58 PM   #3
jenndoxx
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm re-using all of DS's nursery stuff, including the crib bumper. It's just a regular padded one, not a mesh thing. I can't remember if I put it in when DS was a newborn or not...he didn't really sleep in there until he was 3-4 months old. It makes the crib sheet a lot harder to change, so I'll probably wait.

Jenn
Mom to two little boys
jenndoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:44 PM   #4
thaisa47
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I like crib bumpers. I will be using them again, as my kiddos tend to not really sleep in their cribs (save for the random nap here and there) until they are older, and closer to 6-8 months. For me, they help block out the sun for afternoon naps, and my kids never used them to stand on for climbing.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:02 PM   #5
meganne79
Registered Users
seller

We don't use one.

RN/CNM Student/SAHM to Maggie 03-23-06,
Nora 04-06-09, and Ben 05-03-11
meganne79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:14 PM   #6
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for your input! The bumper is so cute. We got a deal on the one we bought with DS because a mama from my workplace received 2 of the same bedding as gifts and decided to sell instead of returning it. I'm going to reuse the same bedding.

That being said... I think I will just leave the bumper off for now so I can more easily see baby from my bed (crib is in our room a few feet away from the bed) and I will not be worried about the baby's face getting smooshed against it when he/she learns to roll over.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:20 PM   #7
maple79vt
Registered Users
seller

I had one in the crib, but we co-slept mostly. I understand why the recommendation is not to use them because of the suffocation hazard but I think I'll still wind up putting it on when this baby comes. My little ones liked to hang their limbs through the slats of the crib when they slept. I think they need some sort of barrier to prevent this.
maple79vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:20 PM   #8
moobiegirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We have a mesh one from ds. He never slept in the crib so we are trying to sell it (the crib and all). We didn't even set up the crib for dd or for this baby. I liked the mesh one, but using a crib not good for our family.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #9
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple79vt View Post
I had one in the crib, but we co-slept mostly. I understand why the recommendation is not to use them because of the suffocation hazard but I think I'll still wind up putting it on when this baby comes. My little ones liked to hang their limbs through the slats of the crib when they slept. I think they need some sort of barrier to prevent this.
That's why I was thinking maybe the mesh one would be nice... but I haven't heard of many people using them.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:25 PM   #10
maple79vt
Registered Users
seller

I haven't even seen what they look like, only heard them mentioned. I guess I should get a move on looking into this before this baby comes!
maple79vt is offline   Reply With Quote