Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-07-2011, 06:50 PM   #11
kimmy659
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Crib bumpers

used it for my first... but you aren't really supposed to..
For my second I didn't get a crib set, because I agree it is a bit of a waste of money, other then looking nice.
So we bought cute sheets, and put up a mesh one. This time i will probably skip the bumper all together..

Advertisement

Old 04-07-2011, 06:53 PM   #12
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We mostly coslept w/DS, so by the time *I wanted to put him in his crib, he wasn't having it. However, I did have a mesh bumper. I had a regular one too; but he always rolled so much that I was concerned if he were to sleep in there, he'd have his face right up against the thing. We tried multiple times to get him to sleep in that crib. After he was a year I took the mesh bumper off, and put the regular bumper up, because he'd get mad that he was in his crib and jump/do whatever. The mesh bumper offered no "safe" padding for that type of behavior. Also; by the time i put it on, I wasn't concerned about it being a hazard.
It's up to you. In the first few months it's not really worth it because they're not going to be rolling much. Once they start rolling it would be better to keep their arms in. Some kiddos still toss their legs over the top of any bumper and they stick out though. lol.
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:52 PM   #13
Salidwyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Not us! We plan on co-sleeping for the most part and just having the crib for naps and a place I can set the baby down when sleeping for a bit. We also have a mini-crib so the "bedding set" options are already extremely limited. I'm just doing sheets to begin with and eventually I might add a quilted or knitted blanket when it starts getting cold again. I might consider doing the mesh bumpers if limbs end up between the bars often but we'll have to see how that goes.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:58 PM   #14
juliabell
Registered Users
seller
seller

We're gonna use a co-sleeper for quite awhile. I planned on getting a mesh bumper once he's in the crib more. My SIL researched a lot and used one. I trust her judgment on safety issues because she researches everything to death before deciding. I'd probably go mesh or without. But not those padded ones. Cute but I don't think they're very safe.
Wife to B. Mama to M (May 2011.) Expecting #2 (July 2014!)
CD, BF, BW, Waldorf, minimalist.
juliabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:03 PM   #15
mamaporgie
Registered Users

i wasn't planning on the bumper either. FTM here, so I'm just going on safety recommendations (suffocation, etc). they look really cute, but i figure i'm saving a bunch of $$ by skipping the "crib bedding set".... they are cute tho...
mamaporgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:42 AM   #16
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

my mom bought this beautiful Winnie the Pooh crib set for DS, and we've NEVER used the bumpers. Mainly because I was told to have nothing in the crib when DS was a newborn, and we started co-sleeping when he was about 3-4 months, so he never went back in the crib after that. They're still sitting on top of the bookcase in DS's room where I put them over 2 years ago! I'll probably wash them, since we're planning to side-car the crib and I may eventually use them.
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #17
Greenebean214
Registered Users
seller

We will be using the bumper. I think we will keep her in our room for the first few weeks/months but I'm sure we'll use the crib for her naptimes until she is in it full time.

Welcomed Liberty Grace May 12, 2011!
Greenebean214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:39 PM   #18
wileycolt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have the breathable bumper that I used with ds. He slept in his crib from the time he was 2 1/2 months old until he turned 2. I used the bumper the whole time because he had a bad habit of sticking limbs thru the bars and getting stuck. This would happen when I took it off to wash it.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:45 PM   #19
shreck
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I guess it was a little silly, but I splurged and bought a cute bedding set for our mini-crib this time. We co-sleep but have the mini-crib set up in our room for naps. I just did it for looks, because I wanted to. I'll take it off once baby gets older/mobile. I got it through Walmart, and I'm sure the quality isn't that great but it's super cute and was cheap.

I don't have a bumper on the full size crib that baby will transition into once he's sleeping through the night.
shreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #20
mama21
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm the dissenter here..... Yes, I used the bumper which came with my bedding set for DS. I just made sure the bottom parts were tucked tightly into the edges of the mattress and the ties were snug so it didn't gape or he couldn't get tangled. He wasn't much of a mover or climber so I never had an issue with him climbing on it or getting his face in the sides. He always slept in his crib. I got a mini crib for this next baby and am having custom bedding made (etsy) and yes, did order the matching bumper.

Bikram yoga lover and CD addict
mama21 is offline   Reply With Quote