Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-09-2011, 09:46 AM   #21
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Reusing baby gear or buying new?

We're reusing most everything, but some of our stuff from the first few kids is literally falling apart so it's gone in the trash. Plus we are in a MUCH different place now than we were when we first got married, so I can afford to get rid of some of the stuff that was bought used and has gone through 3-4 kids and get new stuff for #5.

My husband calls me "The Rubbermaid Queen" because we have literally TONS of boxes of clothing, shoes, toys, etc. in our attic. I switched to rubbermaid boxes after we had a flood in our garage one year and lost a bunch of stuff that had been in cardboard boxes!

I only get rid of clothing once it is too badly stained or WAY out of style, otherwise when an older kid outgrows it I put it in a rubbermaid (labeled with size and gender) and it waits for the next kid to grow into it!

Amy- full time WOHM mama to 6 monkeys (D-15.5, C-10, R-8.75, E-4.5, A-2.5m)
MomToMyMonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:10 AM   #22
Registered Users
My Mood:
We saved everything from #1 for number 2 which also happened to be a boy they were 22 mts apart.

Then we got rid of mostly everything as our second outgrew it. All we kept was the infant carseat, crib, playpen, bouncy chair and a small box of clothes, for 0-12 mts.

I'm now on my third (another boy!) so we had to rebuy a lot.. Swing, bassinet, change table, clothes, little things like blankets, oh and cloth diapers for newbie stage. But I'm glad I did it that way because my first will b 5 and a lot would have been outdated for #3.
CANADIAN mama to 3 boys: Jaxon: (6-18-06), Maverick (5-10-2008) and Ryder (5-10-2011), expecting our 4th and last January 22,2014
kimmy659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:02 PM   #23
Registered Users
Re: Reusing baby gear or buying new?

We save a lot but not everything. I scrimp in other places to make sure that younger siblings don't look like "hand me down" even though a lot of what they have is a hand me down. I do purge clothing that is stained or used looking and get new stuff. I also get newer diaper bags and try to supplement the diaper stash too. We save a lot of diapers but each girls stash has been a bit nicer just because we have been able to afford more. The gear and furniture and larger stuff is replaced as needed. We have an interesting situation where I have a home daycare so multiple babies use all the stuff in the house (except the crib) so it has to be replaced whenever, we aren't actually saving it for our kids because someone somewhere is using it constantly. Same thing with toys. The clothing is saved but not always used later because of size and season so I just sell off whatever I need to in order to get what we will actually used.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote