Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-10-2011, 01:38 AM   #11
crazylife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How long is your commute one way?

Less than 5 minutes which I looove. Pre-kids I wouldn't even bat an eye commuting for ~60 minutes - in fact I loved driving and listening to the radio. Nowadays I'd fall asleep at the wheel because that's 60 precious minutes that I could still be getting much needed rest

Advertisement

crazylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:42 AM   #12
crunch!910
Registered Users

I drive about 35 minutes one way.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:58 AM   #13
alwaysfallingup
Registered Users
seller

I drive 7 miles each way and it's nice because if I forgot something or DD needs something, I can head right back (we're rural and there is no traffic). DH on the other hand, drives 1 hr 20 minutes EACH WAY and I can't imagine that. He is an awesome guy to make the trek five days a week to keep us on good insurance and pay.
I read Tarot! Click here to get a reading!
alwaysfallingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:00 AM   #14
Mommy2Gav
Registered Users
seller

Both DH and I drive around 45-50 miles each way. Takes about an hour and 15 min with traffic. And we can't carpool

ISO: Nook. Will trade goodmamas.
Mommy2Gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:38 PM   #15
cookiesfordinos
Registered Users
seller

I used to commute an hour each way, then 30-45 minutes, now I can walk and it's 5-10. I like that so much better.

I think for me it would depend on the type of commute? I wouldn't mind a 30 minute easy drive, but all of mine (and any driving I do around here) would be/has been terrible. It takes me between an hour and an hour and a half (leaving apt, getting everyone into car, driving, drop-off, driving, find parking, back to apt), to take my daughter to preschool - 3 miles away. My nanny does that for us now (I was losing hours at work every day I did this), and we pulled her out for next year - she's going to stay home with younger DD and the nanny. I just can't handle it!

Last edited by cookiesfordinos; 04-10-2011 at 09:41 PM.
cookiesfordinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:19 AM   #16
Lilysmom10
Registered Users

My commute is 15-20 minutes (depending on traffic), and is around 9 miles each way. DH has a 40 minute commute on the way to work and 30 minutes on the way home - he works 3-11:30 PM and he makes great time coming home due to the lack of traffic.

Last edited by Lilysmom10; 04-11-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Lilysmom10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:34 AM   #17
mama2winnie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm 1hr 15 minutes by train with a 5-10 min walk/subway on each end 4 days a week and home 1 day (no commute yay!). If its a job you really like that commute doesn't sound too bad. It can be done, if you feel its a long commute and are concerned about getting home by a certain time maybe see if they might consider flex hours? I work flex hours of 8:30AM-3:30PM so that even with an out of state commute I'm able to be home by 5PM. Regardless its tough juggling it all good luck!

http://journeyinwinter.blogspot.com/
mama2winnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:43 PM   #18
vladuke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I recently went from a 5 min commute to a 25 min commute each way, and I was definitely spoiled by the 5 minute commute, even though my new job is so much better for me than the old one. My 4 yo DS and I commute together b/c we have an on-site preschool at my job, which has its pros and cons. I love that we get the extra time to talk and I get to hear about his day when it's still really fresh, but some days mama just wants to turn up the radio and unwind, not entertain 1000 "why" questions after a long day at work.
vladuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:19 AM   #19
sandbox
Registered Users

We live in the 'burbs and my commute from door to desk is about 25 minutes. At first I hated it but then it gave me some alone time and got me mentally ready for the day.

It's rough when you add up all the time you are driving when you could be home but sometimes you have to do what you have to do to make it.
sandbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:14 PM   #20
Shimpie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My commute is 14 minutes from door to desk. I used to do a 50 minute commute. Nearly 2 hours a day were wasted driving. Well, slightly wasted. I would listen to lots of books on cd. Now it takes me weeks to finish one audio book. I think a 25 minute commute is very manageable.
Shimpie is offline   Reply With Quote